“Come on Lygon, you can do better than this!”
Review of The Lygon Arms

The Lygon Arms
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
West Midlands
“Come on Lygon, you can do better than this!”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

My best tip when staying at this hotel is to check, check, check that they haven't put you in a modern un-refurbished room in the modern part of the hotel when in your imagination you've already pictured yourself relaxing in the luxury of an atmospheric luxury bedroom in the main building.

That's what happened to us recently despite several requests for rooms in the original hotel, and how I wish now that I'd complained more at the time. My advice to you is to make your case strongly right at the start, and if you've paid full price for your room make sure you're getting what you paid for. Some rooms are definitely nicer than others but this difference is not necessarily reflected in the price.

Otherwise, the stay was great, one or two minor points which I've taken up with the hotel, but it's the room issue which upset me most. The Lygon Arms is one of my favourite hotels anywhere, you just need to make sure you get the chance to enjoy the best of it!

Room Tip: Watch out for courtyard rooms, at night they can be noisy with people talking underneath your window...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank iwanttogotoitaly
genmanager17, General Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Thank you for completing your review I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. As I have mentioned in some of my responses, we have a selection of both modern and traditional rooms and we do our best to accommodate all guest requirements where possible again if on the day any guest would prefer an alternative room we will do our utmost to accommodate them. We do look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit and we will ensure we accommodate in you the room of your choice. Once again thank you for your comments. Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Polish first
West Midlands
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We have often visited Broadway and fancied staying at The Lygon Arms for a break in between Christmas and New Year so we booked in for a couple of nights. Having looked at the reviews we had reservations and emailed the manager to ask for reassurance on the comments raised. She came back promptly and provided that reassurance so we decided to give it a go.

On arrival the hotel was beautiful - full of nooks and crannies, open fires, beams and comfortable sofas. The service was also very friendly and efficient and we were shown to our room which was a refurbished one in the Courtyard. The room was beautifully presented with great facilities but I am sad to say that as nice as the facilities were we couldn't get over the fact that the room reminded us of an upmarket Travel Lodge in what looked like a 1970's extension, at odds with the charm and character of the main hotel. So we called Reception and raised our concerns with Vanessa.

Vanessa came back quickly to say that there were no other rooms of the same standard available in the main Hotel, however they would upgrade us to the Broadway Suite which was available for the two nights. In contrast, the Suite was full of character with a Christmas tree in a sitting room area, with a comfortable four poster bed and a huge bathroom - from then on we were happy.

During our stay we had cocktails in the bar which had a lovely ambience, had hot chocolate with Baileys in after a very long walk to Broadway Tower and also had breakfast in the restaurant where it seems that the comments about cold food and service have all been taken on board. We always found the service friendly, quick and the food very hot.

It does seem that the management of the hotel are trying to take onboard the comments made in previous reviews and we did enjoy our stay very much. If you decide to stay however you will need to choose whether you want modern facilities but lose out on the character which the modern rooms provide - at quite a high cost. Also our Suite was lovely but parts, like the sitting room area and the bathroom could quite easily be updated to move it into the luxury standard. This compromise never seems a problem at hotels such as Hotel Du Vin who seem to easily blend the two - luxury with character. If the Lygon Arms could get this balance right I am sure the comments would become more positive.

Room Tip: Refurbished rooms mean you lose out on character and charm.
1 Thank Hanandchewwy
Thank you for completing your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, as I mentioned we do have rooms that offer modern and traditional facitilies and we are happy to accommodate these requests if guests inform us at the time and we are able to do so. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast with us also. We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit. Kind regards
Tanworth-in-Arden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I have just spent a weekend at the Lygon Arms with my family in honour of my elderly mother
whose delayed birthday celebration it was.

We loved everything about this hotel, and I speak as someone who stays at a lot of 5 star hotels throughout the world on a regular basis.The rooms were very modern within a traditional setting, and my mother's room was particularly spacious and tailored to meet the needs of someone who is more frail than she used to be.The food in the restaurant was excellent and the service we recxeived throughout our stay was impeccable.

Congratulations to the manager, Adriano, and his staff! I simply cannot understand some of the recent negative reviews.I would encourage anyone to stay here and enjoy a wonderful hotel in a beautiful setting.

Martin Cumella

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Martin504205
Thank you for completing your review, and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, I have also passed your comments on to Adriano who is delighted to hear that your stay with us met with your expectations. We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2011

The Lygon Arms was a hotel I had always wanted to stay at having heard good things in the past and so for our anniversary we decided to book a room as a treat, it was only a standard double but cost £115 which is more than we would normally spend but we thought it would be worth the extra because it is The Lygon plus we could make use of the spa facilities! Can I firstly say that the staff that we encountered from the lady checking us in, the guy at the spa and the lady which checked us out & dealt with our complaints were all nice and helpful and we had no issue with them at all, unfortunately they were let down by the hotel. Our room was on first glance small but cosy & clean with period furniture and we had a bath which we had hoped we would have, however after a few minutes we both agreed it wasn't worth the money & were slightly disappointed, not wanting to be too negative we thought we would go & relax in the spa, we were in there for all of half an hour, it was in my opinion tired, I was given the same locker key as someone else in the changing room & the locker didn't even want to lock, looking at a few of them it wasn't the only one that was broken, the floors were very dirty, with rather an unpleasant smell in one of the two shower cubicles & there were shower tap controllers missing & rust on the chrome shower rails. it wasn't the relaxing lovely spa we had imagined the Lygon to have so we were thankful it hadn't been an additional cost. On going back to the room we became more aware of how tired the room was, with paint flaking on the walls, screw covers missing, stains on the bathroom door. We did sleep well so it had a good matress, unfortunately the breakfast was to be the next disappointment, again thankful it had been included in our package as no way was it worth £19.50! I did speak with someone on reception when checking out with regards to our disappointment, she initially said we had a premier room so I dread to think what a standard would have been, she was very apologetic, apparently our room was 1 of 2 waiting to be refurbished, begs the question why they would put is in there as im sure they weren't fully booked as it was very quiet being a Monday night! Such a shame to be giving negative feedback for a hotel we had such high expectations for!

Room Tip: Don't go for rooms 24 or 51 as apparently these are the 2 awaiting refurb. Biggest tip would be...
3 Thank Jessiebale
Thank you for completing your review. I am pleased to hear that you found the staff to be helpful. Please let me assure you that the room you stayed in has now been completed along with the comments you have raised regarding our spa. I would be more than happy to discuss this with you further should you wish to contact me. Kind regards
Leeds England
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We were excited in anticipation of our 3 night stay at this famous Cotswold institution, now owned by the Barcelo Group. The hotel has an imposing position in a beautiful village and very much looks the part, with its honey stone and mullioned windows. The staff are welcoming and friendly. We were upgraded to a de luxe room in the newer part of the building (1960s by its architecture), and shown by a charming porter down authentic creaking corridors lined with wood panelling and genuine ancient prints of the hotel and the village.

The room itself was large clean and well-appointed but looked just a little tired. Every facility was there including robes and slippers and B and O TV and a vast mahogany-framed mirror leaning nonchalantly against the wall. The marble bathroom had lots of freebies (even including a disposable razor and cream). Unfortunately the wash-basin did not empty properly for the whole of our stay in spite of the chambermaid's promise to inform the hotel handyman. The free wi-fi was not accessible in our room (and would have incurred a charge anyway). The bedrooms were not serviced until after 3pm on two days in spite of our request to the reception desk. The receptionist seemed to think it was normal and acceptable for a room not to be cleaned until 4pm and seemed surprised at our complaint.
Service in the bar and at breakfast was always pleasant and generally quick, though a waiter who did not know that tea was served with cold (not hot) milk seemed to imply a fairly basic training need.

Breakfast is served in a huge and beautiful dining room with Robert Welsh cutlery and crisp napery. There was a serious quality problem with the food, however. Orange juice and grapefruit juice were poor quality. The smoked haddock fillet was skinny, wet and clearly cooked from frozen. The kipper the following day was no better. Neither was served with any garnish, and looked forlorn on the plate. Grilled tomatoes were so dried out that they appeared sun-dried ... but had no taste at all. There was plenty of tinned fruit but no fresh fruit salad. Bread was not fresh. Marmalade was never one of the three jams on each table, though you could find some if you hunted around for it.

Sandwiches in the bar took 20 minutes and two reminders to arrive, even though we had explained to the waiter that we had to leave for a concert, and he had assured us it would only take five minutes.

The hotel swimming pool is great, but again the facilities, though comprehensive, looked rather dated (but not old enough to be charming).

Many of the staff had worked in the hotel for many years and gave the impression that the new management were cutting back on staffing and facilities for the sake of cost. They generally remained cheerful, but clearly regretted the loss of standards. O tempora, o mores!

2 Thank Arnold Z
Thank you for completing your review, I have investigated the comments you have raised and spoken to many of my managers. My maintenance manager informed me that your sink was fixed during your stay. Our Wi Fi is complimentary in our reception and lounge areas only and is chargable in the rooms. With regard to servicing your room our maids work until 5pm each day and when we are busy rooms will completed throughhout this time. with regard to the service in our restaurant, I have also discussed this with the manager who has taken your comments on board and these will be addressed immediately. I would like to also point out that bread is made fresh daily, and we offer a selection of jams and maralades these are on our buffet selection. Please let me assure we are not cutting back on staffing levels as we work to the number of guests in house at the time without compromising on standards. I would be more than happy to discuss this with you further should you wish to contact me. Kind regards
intergoal
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Well located hotel, right on the high street and an easy walk to anywhere in the village. The hotel itself is a sprawling mish-mash of olde world and modern, olde world good, modern not much better than motel. Restaurant looks promising and grand but does not deliver, service only ok and food below standard. Didn't consider the hotel expensive necessarily but felt the food alone reason enough not to go back. My overall rating says average, maybe it just about is, but only just and they really should do better.

1 Thank intergoal
Thank you for completing your review. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet with your expectations, and you did not enjoy the food, we do encourage guests to make us aware at the time, in order for us to recitify any shortcomings. Should you decide to stay with us again in the future ( I hope you do) we will of course ensure you leave with a very positive impression of the hotel. In the meantime, should you wish to discuss this with me further please do feel free to contact me. Kind regards
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2011

had high hopes for this hotel, but we were disappointed with place. Our room was grossly overpriced and the bathroom dated and tired looking. Service was not the best as numerous events going on, which detracted from service in the restaurant, both for dinner and breakfast.
The setting is lovely though and the hotel looked lovely with it's xmas decorations. So mixed feelings about the place. Maybe if the cost of our stay had been more reasonable we might have felt differently.

Room Tip: do not go for rooms 42/43/44 as these are all accessed thro the restaurant, which can be a bit of a...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for completing your review. I apologise that you felt disappointed, and had we have been made aware that you felt your room to be over priced we would have been more than happy to offer you an alternative room. Please let me assure you that we do everything we can to look after all our guests at all times. I am pleased to hear that you felt the hotel looked lovely. Should you decide to stay with us again in the future please contact me. In the meantime, should you wish to discuss this further please do feel free to contact me. Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Buckland Manor Country House Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,259 reviews
The Fish Hotel
The Fish Hotel
#3 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Lygon Arms? Share your experiences!