“Grand Old Hotel needs some TLC”
Review of The Lygon Arms

The Lygon Arms
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Grand Old Hotel needs some TLC”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

In my view The Limewood hotel in the New Forest sets the bar for country hotels and I measure other hotels against it. For a sense of history though you cannot beat The Lygon Arms and I very much enjoyed that aspect and its location. The staff were welcoming and attentive and that was appreciated.
However, it charges premium prices but does not deliver a premium product. Our room 54 had a headboard that was stained from heads resting against it, the carpet was marked, bathroom floor tiles were cracked, grout in the bathroom tiles had mould and most of the mouldings in that room required re-painting. In essence the bathroom was tired, tired, tired.
A similar comment could be applied to the pool area and the men's changing room in particular. I object to having to wade through standing water on the floor in order to get to the shower.
A full English breakfast was a desultory affair as it appeared to have been cooked in advance and then kept warm. The look and taste of this meal strongly suggested that it had not been cooked fresh. To be fair, upon complaining the management deducted the cost from the bill without question.
To summarise - an atmospheric hotel which will resonate well with lovers of old England. Barcelo really needs to inject some capital into the premises and re-furbish the bathrooms and pool area to justify the cost of staying there

Room Tip: Go for a room in the old part of the hotel.
3 Thank Martyn F
genmanager17, General Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank you for completing your review. We are pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, I have discussed the comments you have raised with regard to the breakfast, your room and the spa with my team and these have been taken on board with necessary action. We do hope we have the opportunity to wlecome you back in the future. Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Polish first
Tenbury Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed for two nights from Friday 9th March, along with my wife the occasion being our 20th wedding anniversary. We arrived earlier than our book in time as she was booked in for a three hour spa treatment session. We were made to feel very welcome, the staff were efficient professional and very friendly. A common theme throughout was how the staff, despite being busy were always keen to chat and ask what you were doing, where you were from, very pleasant atmosphere created as a result.
Upon arrival we booked a table in the great hall restaurant for the friday night, we were not disapointed, the food was outrageously good, and reasonably priced for the 4 star hotel rating.
There was a very good choice of wines, catering for all palettes and budgets.
We were in room 40, one of the older rooms, within the hotel and just above the great hall, it was a superior double room, very comfortable, impeccably clean and layed out well with nice antique furniture and a comfortable bed. The bathroom was clean and functional, with lots of the usual toiletries on offer.
The only drawback was that we had to walk through the restaraunt to get to our room, which on occasion felt a little uncomfortable, but this is not a major issue.
This plac eused to belong to Gordon Russel, the designer and cabinet maker, I was talking to one of the staff about the wood panelling, when she suddenley, dissappeared, and returned with Len, who used to work for Russell, but now works at the hotel, he talked enthusiastically and with good knowledge about the real history of the hotel, not the brochure filling blurb you usually get in old hotels. He is a real assett for the hotel and a pleasant guy, try and make time to find him and have a chat.
A fantastic hotel, not the cheapest, but then worth the money, I would highly reccomend a stay here.

Room Tip: try and get a room in the main body of the hotel rather than the modern courtyard rooms, so much mor...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for completing your review, and the comments you have raised, I have discussed these with my team and they too are pleased to hear your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back for a future visit. kind regards
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Stayed for one night only and ate in the restaurant to celebrate my birthday. We booked the Lygon Arms as a special treat and were not disappointed. This character hotel from the outside looks wonderful in its Cotswold setting. Parking is available and can be found at the rear of the hotel. Reception was a bit slow to attend to us but from then on everything was perfect. Our room (53) was on the first floor looking out onto the rear courtyard. It was a good size and had everything you could wish for supplied. The bed was extremely comfortable. The Great Hall restaurant was the ideal location to celebrate a birthday the food was excellent, service very good (with plenty of staff). Our main meals were served on long plates with the food all in a line; the presentation was very unusual and attractive. The cost for this stay which included breakfast was good as we secured an offer on-line from Hotel.com. The cost of the meal reflected the very good produce used however, the wine was very expensive. We enjoyed the indoor swimming pool before breakfast (this was kept very clean and the water was quite warm). This hotel has real character and lots of history. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Broadway, as a venue for a special treat.

Room Tip: Room 53 was excellent looking out on to the rear courtyard.
1 Thank PeteLoughborough
Thank you for completing your review, and I am please toe hear that your stay with us celebrating your birthday, we do hope this has left you with memories for time to come. We do hope to have the opportunity of welcomiing you back on a future visit. Kind regards
Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed Sunday 04march and the experience was wonderful. From the moment we arrived the service was first class and continued throughout our stay. Room 20 ( the great chamber) was the real highlight of our stay, high ceilings, beams, open fire place and tons of character and charm. The spa including swimming pool was a wonderful way to relax on a Sunday afternoon. We ate in the grand hall restaurant which offers a superb menu to suit all tastes with first class service. The hotel has a number of reception/snug rooms with open fires which is a lovely way to relax reading or enjoying afternoon tea.
Broadway is a picture box English village which oozes charm and tranquility. I would highly recommend this hotel for escapism from the modern world we live in.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
genmanager17, General Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thank you for completing your review and we are so pleased to hear of your wonderful experience when you stayed with us. We very much look forward to welcoming you back for a future visit. Kind regards
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We had a two night stay at the Lygon Arms in February 2012. We have been there before and although it has changed hands, it has managed to retain its olde worlde charm and character. We stayed in the Broadway Suite. This has been refurbished and now has one bathroom and one cloakroom, and a much larger sitting room. It is really beautiful. But I don't think anyone considered putting the heating on in the rooms before we arrived, and we were freezing. The bathroom radiator was cold all the time we were there. I reported that it needed "bleeding", but this was not attended to. We were given a portable radiator to try and address the problem, but it took over 24 hrs for the rooms to warm up. The dining room was also on the chilly side. There is a huge open fireplace but noone seemed to be bothered about keeping it going. Interestingly, the one place where the fire was always roaring away, was the open fireplace which was in the small lounge at the back of where the two receptionists were sitting... so they made sure they were always nice and warm. Never mind about the guests! The food was very good, not overfacing and served with a lightness of touch. The menus were adventurous, but not over the top. The chef has given up offering a dover sole or steak if you prefer this to the menu choices. I always thought this was a really nice touch. The staff were all most charming, perhaps with the exception of the two reception ladies, who seemed less welcoming than one would have hoped. My one big gripe which is especially relevant these days, is that there was no wifi in the rooms. You were only allowed 30 minutes of free wifi connection for your whole stay, and this was only available in the lounge, or reception area. The charge of £6.50 for further connection is, I think, exhorbitant, especially when you consider that you are paying over £700 for your two night stay. I think Barcelo Hotels should reconsider this policy. I was not the only guest who was unimpressed with their penny pinching. Overall, we did enjoy our stay, but I still think it could have been made even better, which is why I am posting this review. Barcelo, please take note!

Room Tip: If you want the real thing, stay in the Broadway Suite. You have to walk through the dining room to...
1 Thank Pam_Shapiro_2004
Thank you for completing your review, many apologies for the shortcomings you experienced when you stayed with us. The fire behind reception makes no difference to reception this fire is for the guests which is often used. With regard to the Dover Sole we do have this on the menu when this is in season which at the moment it is not. We always offer steak, this is on the menu. With regard to the internet, we have changed our provider and come May this year this will be complimentary in all areas. On a positive note, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your food and service. We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and should you wish to discuss your comments further please do feel free to contact me. Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I have stayed at this once grand hotel before, even took my mom there the year before she passed and have wonderful memories of this hotel, however I believe it's now been taken over by a foreign company (Barcelo?!). My husband booked the hotel for my birthday from 8th of April for 5 days. He forgot to tell them about our 2 well behaved Cavalier King charles dogs. I phoned and spoke to the rudest woman at reception who proceeded to tell me my dogs would cost £15 ea per night - basically 1/2 of what we're paying. I'm disgusted and if we hadn't paid in advance I would cancel. This hotel used to be great with people and pets but now I'm so disappointed I would like to cancel. I do not recomend this hotel at all - altogether a depressing experience and I haven't even got there.

1 Thank tiazoey
Thank you for completing your review, I am very disturbed to hear of your comments and have discussed these with my reception team. We do indeed charge for pets, and have done for many years, I am however sorry that you felt the receptionist was rude as this was not her intention. I feel it's a little unfair to say the hotel used to be great, as we have very good staff here and we are looking forward to welcoming you both in April and where we will do our utmost to ensure you have a memorable experience. Kind regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Broadway is a beautiful village in the heart of the Cotswolds. it's worth a visit even if you are just passing by. The Lygon Arms is one of several top class hotels and our room was soaked in old world charm. Our welcome was friendly and fast, our room lovely. Stone frame windows with leaded glass, a huge and comfortable 4-poster and a spacious bathroom with a powerful shower.
Simple pleasures like bottled water and coffee making in the room along with robes, slippers and flannels make the stay more relaxed.
The building is quite old so dont expect plastic surfaces, allow for a few dusty corners. it's part of the charm.
the restaurant was also excellent if a little warm. Food was served by attentive. professional and really friendly staff. Most from Spain (the hotel is owned by a Spanish company and they clearly know how to motivate and train excellent staff.

Room Tip: Stay above ground level and in the old building. Some suites are facing the front which might be a l...
1 Thank Steve from Bristol
Thank you for completing your review. We are so pleased to hear just how much you enjoyed your stay and I have passed your comments on to my team. We very much look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back for a future visit. Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
The Broadway Hotel
#3 of 22 in Cheltenham
The Fish Hotel
The Fish Hotel
#3 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Lygon Arms? Share your experiences!