“Wedding day review”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Wedding day review”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Our wedding day was perfect, and this was almost entirely due to the outstanding staff at the Lygon Arms, from Charlotte who co-ordinated the wedding preparations, to Adrian the Manager and his wonderful staff who were courteous, attentive and cheerful throughout the weekend. The bridal suite was simply beautiful, a shame we couldn't stay longer to appreciate it. This hotel is a reminder of how guests should be treated, nothing was too much trouble, everyone was made to feel important, and I would like to thank each and every member of staff who helped make this day every bit as wonderful as we hoped it would be.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I really don't understand some of the less than great reviews some people have given this beautiful gem of a hotel in what is one of the most beautiful villages in England. A beautiful historic hotel with comfy chairs by enormous fire places where you can sit and while away an hour or so. The staff are friendly without being gushy or pushy and I found them helpful, pleasant and extremely helpful. I come back here at least twice a year to soak up both the wonderful atomosphere of the village but also the warmth and fine welcome I get when I go to the Lygon. There is something magical about the place. Its cool in Summer with outdoor tables to sit and enjoy a bite to eat or a drink and in Winter, personally my favourite time, it is truly wonderful with big open fires, squashy sofas to snuggle into over a hot toddy. I love it and I think it would be a shame for a traveller heading to Broadway not to experience this truly exceptional place of history, with all the comforts of the 21st century. It is, after 35 years of travelling the world, a very special and favourite hotel of mine.

1 Thank DublinJ
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Wow! What a great hotel in a beautiful village. If you want a hotel with character, makes you smile when you enter, look no further! We spent 2 nights of our honeymoon here and loved every minute. Great swimming pool/gym, breakfast, 4 poster beds, bar etc., the list is endless!
We will definitly return on our anniversary next year. Would also like to return in the winter when I imagine the log fires would be roaring. If you visit the cotswolds any time soon, stay at the Lygon Arms, you will not be disappointed by this fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old part of the hotel are beautiful and original!
Central Illinois
Reviewed 12 June 2012

What wonderful staff this hotel has. Our group of 30 some people arrived late in the afternoon, just in time for our scheduled High Tea. By the time tea was finished our bags were in our room. We had a really nice room with a queen size bed, great space, great closet, and nice bathroom. For being in business since the 1500's, it it nicely updated. This hotel had a lovely courtyard, which I wished we could have enjoyed. We just didn't have the time. This charming town had a couple fun pubs that we discovered & also had many fascinating little stores, which were already closed for the day as it was Saturday. Really enjoyed the breakfast buffet they had. Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dorset
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I was given a gift of a spa day at this hotel which I spent with my daughters. I'm afraid to say that I was extremely disappointed at most of the day. Although booked well in advance, no robes available. Treatment (facial) was excellent. The pool area was very bare with six rather unpleasant looking sunbeds at one end which were all taken. We were told we could sit upstairs on the balcony but this was also very bare and uninviting with uncomfortable chairs.

The steam room was fine, the sauna has several broken slats. The jacuzzi was rather chilly.

But I'm afraid the worst was the pool. Yes at first glance it appeared fine and seemed warm enough but when swimming I noticed a rim of grime around the top of the pool tiles just above the water level. Initially I thought this was limescale but on closer inspection I could rub the substance off fairly easily with my finger. This presumably was a combination of dead skin and oils etc. used in the treatments. How disgusting! I quickly climbed out of the pool and we decided to cut our spa day short.

I contacted the hotel shortly after and the manager of the spa explained that he had been on holiday that week and apologised for our disappointment. He promised to rectify what he could but explained that the hotel owners were unwilling to spend on repairs and refurbishments. I do think that a good scrub everywhere wouldn't cost too much. Perhaps now he has returned from holiday, the clean up has been done but I would check out the rim of grime before you climb into the pool.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank kpdorset
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We stayed a night at the Lygon Arms during June half term. We paid just over £100 for the night, including breakfast, which we thought was very good value for money.

We took one of the modern rooms and were pleased with the decor of the room. The double bed was not great however and we suffered from rolling together in the middle.

We loved the pool and swam twice on our visit.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

This is a pretty good hotel, very keenly priced. We would definitely return at the price we paid. It is not a top end luxury hotel but we enjoyed it for a mid week break and hope to come back again in future.

Room Tip: Whether to take one of the old fashioned or modern rooms will depend on your tastes. We prefer the m...
Teba, Spain
Reviewed 5 June 2012 via mobile

The Lygon arms was a hotel before the mayflower set sail for the new world! The history in these buildings is absolutely amazing. The whole arrival process is wonderful, from the moment you draw up outside the hotel, it is easy to see why it is so popular. We were staying there for our 1st wedding anniversary and we were given a wonderful room with a 4 poster bed, the decoration of the room was superb, getting there was intersting, I think ther were about 4 changes of level or direction, though sadly not via one of the secret passages used by Charles 1st! The staff were fantastic, very attentive but discrete and not over attentive. We booked dinner in the great hall, and sadly this is where things started to unravel. The hall itself is part of the original building, complete with a minstrels gallery, it is easy to picture noblemen of hold having banquets in there, sadly I don't not think they would have approved of the country and western music playing, "whip crack away" was probably the most annoying, but "do not forsake me oh my darling" was right up there! In spite of requesting a change the staff could not do it. Dinner was also a let down, my duck was fine, but my wife's first monkfish was over cooked so sent back, the second, the fish was ok, but the potatoes were raw! Breakfast the following day was not much better, the fresh fruit was fresh from a can! Not really up to the standard you wild expect. We were told by staff at the next place we stayed tha the Lygon had been advertising for chefs recently, it looks like they need to continue! Overall, we would stay there again, especially in the winter, but would think very carefully about eating there.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dave R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
The Broadway Hotel
#3 of 22 in Cheltenham
The Fish Hotel
The Fish Hotel
#3 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Lygon Arms? Share your experiences!