“Beautiful hotel, room disappointing”
Review of The Lygon Arms

The Lygon Arms
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Dublin, Ireland
“Beautiful hotel, room disappointing”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at the Lygon Arms, we live locally and booked online last minute wanted to go away for New Years night. We arrived at the hotel and the inside was like stepping back in time, it was really beautiful and cosy especially with the Christmas decorations. As we departed the reception area to be shown to our room we were taken up to the first floor only to be walked across to another completely altogether 1960's building, it was so disappointing. We saw such lovely rooms on the site only to be taken to one so poorly kept. The bathroom was clean with fresh towels etc but the room itself was small, double bed was two single put together so neither of us could sleep in the middle of the bed. The breakfast was a buffet which we both enjoy, the continental was good but the hot food was poor and the coffee was terrible. Again, the dinning room was beautiful, but the service and quality of food was lacking the finesse the room projected. I know you pay more for location and it is in such a quaint beautiful town we still felt it was over priced for the over all experience.

Room Tip: I presume the suites and superior rooms remain in the hotel. The standard rooms are in a different b...
3 Thank Maxie2006
Lygon12, General Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
I am very sorry that you didn't feel we delivered value for money or live up to expectation. I have taken on your comments and will certainly have them addressed imediately.Thank you for posting this review.
Colin Heaney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Polish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I have been to the hotel twice - trying to obtain afternoon tea and again trying for lunch. Unfortunately on both occasions I was unable to sample their hospitality as service was non-existent. On the latest visit we were directed to a table and waited patiently to place our order. After 20 minutes I went to the bar to try and order there - was asked to return to my table and someone would be with us immediately. 10 minutes latter still no sign of service so I returned to the bar again to be given the same "standard" response. I explained that we had been waiting over half and hour for as much as a drink and was promised by the person behind the bar that she would come a personally take our order....after waiting another 10 -15 minutes we left (again). We won't be back. Maybe there is better service for guests rather than walk in customers but I wont be taking the chance on it.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank PeterGeorge2014
Having only been at the hotel for 3 months this post very much saddens me, as it is not the type of customer care I would expect of The Lygon and will be addresses as soon as possible. I treat all guests alike no matter if they are resident or non resident and can only sincerely apologise for this customers experiences.
I would be grateful if they would contact me direct and at least give me an opportunity to prove that The Lygon can get things right and provide agood service to all our guests.
Colin Heaney
Ware, United Kingdom

Sue Scott
We have just returned from a superb two night break at the Lygon Arms in Broadway, a lovely village full of character and a very convenient location for exploring the Cotswolds by car or on foot. The hotel was warm and inviting with cosy sitting rooms with log fires. All the staff were so friendly and helpful and the breakfasts and dinners were of excellent quality served with a smile by extremely attentive restaurant staff. The rooms were very clean and spacious and the spa area and gym of a high standard. We will return and recommend The Lygon to our friends.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank susan S
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We booked a spa break for what was likely to be a very busy weekend, running up to New Year. We had a very comfortable room, first class service from the hotel and restaurant staff and very high quality food for both dinner and breakfast in the main restaurant. The staff - thank you, Miguel, Vicente, Kitty, Tomas and Harriet and apologies to anyone I've forgotten! - couldn't help enough and made the stay very relaxed and enjoyable. Any issues? Well, it's a very large property and it rambles a bit, but that's part of its charm. It's easy to find a quiet corner to relax and there are open fires here and there lending it a charming atmosphere. I recommend the Lygon Arms if you're looking for a quality vacation in a fabulous Cotswold setting.

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room with a large bed in the newer section at the rear. Ok, not as much 'charm a...
3 Thank tonyalex1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I recently took my mother to the Lygon arms for a one night spa break. What made the biggest impression on us was the friendliness and professionalism of all of the staff we encountered. They couldn't do enough to ensure that our stay was as comfortable as possible, and we didn't have to lift a finger. Its obvious that the staff all take pride in working for this hotel.

We had a three course dinner which was included in our package. For a 'set menu' I was pleasantly surprised that there were 6-8 choices for each course. The food was amazing - really really good.

The hotel itself is welcoming, cosy and very characterful. The village of Broadway, where the hotel is located is utterly charming.

I can't recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Victoria G
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Myself and my partner treated ourselves to two nights between Christmas and New Year as a break away from it all, and it was absolutely super. We were put in room 8 which has lovely views across the high street, a big four poster bed and all of the home comforts. It also had pigeons nesting in the eaves but somehow that just added to the charm!
We dined in the restaurant on the first night which was nothing short of superb with exquisite food, excellent service and a very knowledgeable sommelier.
All of the staff during our stay were friendly and courteous and we got the feeling that nothing would be too much trouble had we asked.
The only area for improvement would be the spa - the water in the pool was lukewarm and the jacuzzi wasn't working. There is also currently only one therapist to carry out all of the treatments, who although was superb, was also noticeably tired and I'm not surprised.
All in all we had a lovely stay (in fact it was so romantic my partner produced a ring and proposed on the first night!) and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the original part of the hotel, the newer part seems a lot more standard.
1 Thank SAH204
Lichfield
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel between Christmas and New Year 2013. It is a lovely hotel and seems very well run. The service was first class throughout the hotel despite it appearing to be pretty much fully booked

Improvements could be made to the choice of food available on the set menu in the restaurant, this was limited in comparison to other hotels I have stayed at and frustratingly there was no a la carte menu on offer which I find astounding really, additionally the daily menu changed very little from one day to the next......I feel this lets down what is marketed as a top draw hotel

However what I did have was very nice, I just had to eat the same thing both nights of my stay

Room Tip: Ask for room details as there are many options and their web site is not the best in the world
1 Thank Vic100Lichfield
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Buckland Manor Country House Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,259 reviews
The Fish Hotel
The Fish Hotel
#3 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Lygon Arms? Share your experiences!