“Lovely Quiet Setting”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Quiet Setting”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is a perfect destination if you are seeking a quiet, relaxing village to unwind or for romance. We stayed as a romantic trip and felt welcome and it was very homely and cosy. Rooms are older in the main hotel area, with more modern appearing to be located in other building areas. However, the room itself was spacious and tied in with the old feeling of the village. This hotel feels quite special, however we booked using a voucher stay including meal in the restaurant, which I would highly recommend, especially the banana dessert!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank 12Ashley
Lygon12, General Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
We are very lucky the hotel and the village lend themselves to the quiet, unwiinding get away and perhaps more so in the winter with roaring log fires. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again.
Colin Heaney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I went with a small group for a spa break and dinner. It was excellent value for dinner, bed and breakfast with a spa treatment included too. There were some slightly haphazard service moments but overall we were very well looked after. Pre dinner drinks in the comfy bar followed by dinner in the Great Hall was really lovely. I had fresh tomato soup, followed by linguine and strawberry sorbet.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed here for two nights recently and was thoroughly spoilt. Comfy bed, modern bathroom, large walk in cupboard, tea and coffee making facilities and complementary still and fizzy water in the room too. We ate both nights in the hotel restaurant in the grand hall. There was a reasonable selection of both food and wine. I was a bit disappointed when I received a phone call on the morning of my birthday to tell me the therapist hadn't turned up so my treatments were cancelled, however all was not lost as they managed to fit me in to a local beauticians just round the corner. I had the most wonderful full body massage followed by a decleor facial. Heavenly. Can't wait to go again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the old part of the hotel if you can.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alicenic
I am pleased that we were able to replace the treatment booked when one of our staff went sick and so not spoiling a special birthday treat. I do hope you will return again.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at the Lygon Arms, we live locally and booked online last minute wanted to go away for New Years night. We arrived at the hotel and the inside was like stepping back in time, it was really beautiful and cosy especially with the Christmas decorations. As we departed the reception area to be shown to our room we were taken up to the first floor only to be walked across to another completely altogether 1960's building, it was so disappointing. We saw such lovely rooms on the site only to be taken to one so poorly kept. The bathroom was clean with fresh towels etc but the room itself was small, double bed was two single put together so neither of us could sleep in the middle of the bed. The breakfast was a buffet which we both enjoy, the continental was good but the hot food was poor and the coffee was terrible. Again, the dinning room was beautiful, but the service and quality of food was lacking the finesse the room projected. I know you pay more for location and it is in such a quaint beautiful town we still felt it was over priced for the over all experience.

Room Tip: I presume the suites and superior rooms remain in the hotel. The standard rooms are in a different b...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Maxie2006
I am very sorry that you didn't feel we delivered value for money or live up to expectation. I have taken on your comments and will certainly have them addressed imediately.Thank you for posting this review.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I have been to the hotel twice - trying to obtain afternoon tea and again trying for lunch. Unfortunately on both occasions I was unable to sample their hospitality as service was non-existent. On the latest visit we were directed to a table and waited patiently to place our order. After 20 minutes I went to the bar to try and order there - was asked to return to my table and someone would be with us immediately. 10 minutes latter still no sign of service so I returned to the bar again to be given the same "standard" response. I explained that we had been waiting over half and hour for as much as a drink and was promised by the person behind the bar that she would come a personally take our order....after waiting another 10 -15 minutes we left (again). We won't be back. Maybe there is better service for guests rather than walk in customers but I wont be taking the chance on it.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank PeterGeorge2014
Having only been at the hotel for 3 months this post very much saddens me, as it is not the type of customer care I would expect of The Lygon and will be addresses as soon as possible. I treat all guests alike no matter if they are resident or non resident and can only sincerely apologise for this customers experiences.
I would be grateful if they would contact me direct and at least give me an opportunity to prove that The Lygon can get things right and provide agood service to all our guests.
Ware, United Kingdom

Sue Scott
We have just returned from a superb two night break at the Lygon Arms in Broadway, a lovely village full of character and a very convenient location for exploring the Cotswolds by car or on foot. The hotel was warm and inviting with cosy sitting rooms with log fires. All the staff were so friendly and helpful and the breakfasts and dinners were of excellent quality served with a smile by extremely attentive restaurant staff. The rooms were very clean and spacious and the spa area and gym of a high standard. We will return and recommend The Lygon to our friends.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank susan S
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We booked a spa break for what was likely to be a very busy weekend, running up to New Year. We had a very comfortable room, first class service from the hotel and restaurant staff and very high quality food for both dinner and breakfast in the main restaurant. The staff - thank you, Miguel, Vicente, Kitty, Tomas and Harriet and apologies to anyone I've forgotten! - couldn't help enough and made the stay very relaxed and enjoyable. Any issues? Well, it's a very large property and it rambles a bit, but that's part of its charm. It's easy to find a quiet corner to relax and there are open fires here and there lending it a charming atmosphere. I recommend the Lygon Arms if you're looking for a quality vacation in a fabulous Cotswold setting.

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room with a large bed in the newer section at the rear. Ok, not as much 'charm a...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tonyalex1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Dormy House Hotel
#2 of 22 in Cheltenham
The Fish Hotel
The Fish Hotel
#3 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Lygon Arms? Share your experiences!