“Spa Day!”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Spa Day!”
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Booked a 'morning spa break' for 4 people and overall had a lovely relaxing day although facilities let it down a little.

Could not fault the lunch and treatments and generally the area was clean and pleasant however the steam room and the jacuzzi were not working when we visited. After reporting this we were informed that the pool is closing for a week in June so it will be fixed then!! This left only the pool (to which swimming lessons were taking place, maybe our fault for going on a Saturday) and a small sauna!

I would return however not before checking the facilities were working before hand!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
LygonArms, Front Office Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments I am pleased you enjoyed your treatment and afternoon tea. However I am sorry that you encountered problems in the Spa area I can assure you we are currently working very hard to get this right. Kind Regards Rebecca Peniket

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Polish first
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Booked a Spa package for my husband's 50th birthday. Paid for a Double Deluxe in the old part of the building and the room was out of this world with old wooden beams and furniture. The hotel overall is stunning and very clean. Staff are very attentive and friendly and the Duty Manager on that weekend, made us feel very welcome. My husband was given a box of chocolates in our room and we received a complimentary glass of champagne. The food in the restaurant was out of this world. I ordered smoked eel for starter and gunea fowl for a main, both absolutely delightful and the chocolate dessert was to die for,. I would definitely recommend a visit, the surrounding area is beautiful and idyllic and the hotel stemmed in history. Would not be surprised to see one day the hotel achieving a 5 start status.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest, Your wonderful review really captures the essence of what we all try to achieve at The Lygon Arms for our guests. Thank you for your amazing compliments, we look forward to seeing you again soon. Regards Rebecca Peniket
Broadway
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Loved everything about this hotel, the staff were the friendlist I have ever come accross and could not do enough to help you. Got an amazing deal including dinner and afternoon tea, would definately recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Joanna J
Dear Guest, Your wonderful review really captures the essence of what we all try to achieve at The Lygon Arms for our guests. Thank you for your compliments and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Regards Rebecca Peniket
Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We have recently moved into the Cotswolds and it has been on our list to have a meal in the Great Hall at the Lygon Arms and decided to try it this week end as we had a guest staying for a few days and thought it would be a nice special occasion. What a dissappointment! the surroundings and ambience were first class but the food was a big let down. Two of us chose the roast beef and yorkshire pudding, the beef was extreamly tough and sinuie and the yorkshire was like some sort of fairy cake/muffin, the roast potatoes were over cooked and sodden with fat, the rest of the meal was not really hot enough. The sweet we had was also dissappointing, we chose the lemon tart and sorbet, the pastry for the tart case was rock hard and vertually unbreakabe. If I was a chef I would be embarresedd to let this food out of the kitchen.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
LygonArms, Front Office Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Guest, Thankyou for your feedback, I am sorry you had such a bad experience for your recent sunday lunch visit. These are not the usual standards of our restaurant. I will discuss this with the head chef to make sure we get it right in future. I hope you will see this as an isolated experience. Please don't hesitate to call me if you would like to discuss this further. Kind Regards Rebecca Peniket
medway
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My husband and I have just stayed at the Lygon Arms on the 10th to 12th of April. We had a brilliant time. We stayed in room 305 which was excellent. Very clean with plenty of room. We ate in the restaurant the first night. It was a bit expensive but well worth the money. The staff were very attentive and friendly. We would like to give a special mention to Les and the manager( ask him to do the pound coin trick). Both were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We did use the leisure facilities and yes they are a bit tired but we understand they are in the process of refurbishing. All in all our stay was very relaxing and we would definitely return.

Room Tip: The rooms in the forecourt have parking right outside the room, which is helpful for unloading.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thankyou for your feedback it is great to hear we are getting it right. I will pass on your compliments to the team members you mentioned they will be delighted. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Lygon Arms. Kind Regards Rebecca Peniket
Kingston upon Thames, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We booked a weekend at the Lygon for a belated 25th Wedding Anniversary treat. We got a deal through Amazon, which while not cheap was perhaps not as exorbitant a price as one might normally pay.

This hotel does not get our 5 stars as the service didn't blow us away. There was a slight confusion at reception about whether we put a deposit on a credit card or paid as we went along. The confusion was on my part. I thought that "paying as we went along" meant signing for stuff and settling on our departure. However I realised my mistake after signing for our first drinks before the evening meal and have the waiter come back to advise that was not going to do as I hadn't left a deposit at reception. Some people might get awfully upset and embarrassed about this sort of thing but it didn't bother me in the slightest, I just went back to reception and left a credit card number there and that was fine. The waiter was quite pleasant and polite about it.

For us the thing that the Hotel excelled in was food. Unfortunately I am a bit ignorant about restaurant endorsements. The menu on the website and in the hotel had two rose thingies on it which I don't believe are Michelin stars but assume are something similar though perhaps less prestigious? Unfortunately there was no explanation on the website or menu of what these roses signified, if anything. The explanation might be other reviews but I didn't want to read them as I wanted this view to be influenced only by my own impression of our stay and not what was said in other reviews. That aside, from our perspective the food was great and reasonably priced. Tasty, well presented - it was beautiful, and thoroughly enjoyable! Quantities were not huge but were more than sufficient, in our view.

We both had quail egg benedict for starter, my wife had the vegetarian wild mushrooms for a main and I had sea trout, she finished off with lemon meringue and I had spiced treacle pudding. Everything we ate (and we ate it all!) was absolutely delicious and we both struggled to remember a meal as good that we had eaten out before. That said we probably eat out less than many people. (We do occasionally go to the Petersham Nurseries Cafe near Richmond which recently lost its Michelin star and the food at the Lygon was on a par, if not better, than food we have had there and we love Petersham Nurseries!). Also we both felt that service in the restaurant was excellent. So 10/10 for evening meal on Friday.

We had afternoon tea on Saturday and while no major complaints it was nothing special. Jam for scones let the side down a bit and the scones themselves were rather ordinary.

We had one service "slip up" at breakfast on the Saturday. We both asked for coffee and received only a single jug of coffee. In itself not a problem, but we noticed for other tables that order one tea and coffee the person getting coffee would get a jug the same size as the one that we had for both of us. Needless to say we got through our coffee pretty quickly! I asked for some more. Not a problem. But after waiting almost 10 minutes we concluded that our "more coffee" wasn't coming, so we asked someone else not mentioning we had already asked for more. What happened next was interesting. The second person we asked scanned the table and realised that our coffee pot had already been taken away. Within less than a minute he returned with a fresh pot of coffee but it is what happened next that was most interesting. The original guy we asked had passed by us several times taking coffee, tea, toast to other clients and not given us the slightest bit of attention. After having our coffee recharged by the 2nd waiter, the original waiter came back to us and apologised for forgetting about our coffee. Our hypothesis is that the 2nd guy we asked told him to come back and apologise! Pure speculation on our part. But whether he did or not the fact the first guy came back and apologised was really significant for us and completely cancelled out the original mistake. So minor slip up but we are all human and for us the fact the guy came back and apologised (when he was under no obligation to as far as we were aware) put it right.

We did not avail ourselves of the spa, though we did use the pool and sauna which were both satisfactory. For some reason the steam room was not available during our stay. Also we enjoyed wandering around the garden at the back. While not extensive this was very pleasant and would have been even more pleasant had the weather been a bit warmer (we visited first weekend in April). There was also plenty of parking at the back of the Hotel. We rather stupidly parked under a tree which meant our car had a considerable amount of bird crap and sticky tree residue on it when we left. As VW Golf owners this didn't bother us particularly but we did wonder how the guy with the soft top Aston Martin parked next to us would have been feeling about it!

All in all we had a lovely time at the Lygon and would happily recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thankyou for your extensive review we appreciate and welcome all feedback from our guests, I am delighted you enjoyed the food and service in our Great Hall Restaurant. Your feedback will allow us to best direct our efforts.

Following your question regarding the 2 AA Rosettes we hold the Consumer Guidelines for our restaurant is as follows:

"Excellent restaurants, which aim for and achieve higher standards, better consistency and where a greater precision is apparent in the cooking. There will be obvious attention to the selection of quality ingredients. Around 40% of restaurants/ hotels within our AA Restaurant Guide will have Two Rosettes"

We look forward to seeing you again in the future, Best Regards Rebecca Peniket
cheltenham
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have lived in the Cotswolds for 23 years and always thought The Lygon to be one of the premier hotels even though I had never been. Today was our wedding Anniversary. I had booked a spa day with afternoon tea for my husband and myself to celebrate.
The booking process had been difficult with countless phone calls to try to get through to them. I had finally emailed them telling them of my difficulties. They did call me back but no apology or acknowledgement of my problem.
However I had put this to one side and was looking forward to our day. We arrived at 9.20am as our first spa treatment was booked for 9.30am. I gave the guy on reception our name and he said "oh yes 9.30." However, the therapist appeared and said that infact my treatment was at 9.00am and I'd missed the first half hour treatment so could now only have my second half hour treatment. I queried the time of the booking because I am very particular when I make bookings and always write the time down when I'm on the phone. I am a very organised person. But she was adamant our booking was at 9. She said she was fully booked and so couldn't do the treatment even though we had paid for it.
Anyway, I had my other half hour treatment which was fine but nothing about the place felt special. It's all a bit tired. It felt more like a leisure centre than a spa. At no time did I feel pampered.
Afternoon tea was adequate but again not special. At no time did we feel important.
I've been to many spa days and for many afternoon teas in the area and this one just doesn't rate.
My image of this hotel as being luxurious was completely wrong. Head to Cheltenham and try The Greenway - superb spa and restaurant. Don't waste your time at The Lygon. So disappointing.

2 Thank primada
Dear Guest, thank you for your comments, I am very sorry your Spa day experience didn't exceed your expectations, i was concerned to hear about your treatment times as a result of your comments we will review our proceedures in the Spa to prevent this happening in the future. In the meantime if you would like to discuss this further then please don't hesitate in contacting me. Kind Regards Rebecca Peniket
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
The Broadway Hotel
#2 of 22 in Cheltenham
The Fish Hotel
The Fish Hotel
#3 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Lygon Arms? Share your experiences!