“Cromwell slept here, so did I.”
Review of The Lygon Arms

The Lygon Arms
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
surrey
“Cromwell slept here, so did I.”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Lovely historic hotel which I was surprised to find full.I have a feeling that their special deal was the reason.
Do not miss the series of gardens at the back culminating in the tennis courts.
Lots of little sitting areas. Rather ugly grand dining room, where is the stag's head which I had been told adorned it?
Two large car parks. Excellent walks from the hotel.
Dogs welcome at £15 a time.

Room Tip: We were in the 1926 garage extension with large room vast bathroom and a bed that almost took up the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
LygonArms, Front Office Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Guest, Thankyou for your feedback we do value your insight. Our team work extremely hard to ensure that all our guests are comfortable throughout their stay, I am sorry that the dining room was not to your taste. It is correct there did used to be a stags head in there i can reassure you that the hotel is in a constant state of appraisal. We do hope to see you again. Kind Regards Rebecca Peniket

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in July in room 96. On arrival the valet parked our car and the receptionist checked us in. The wonderful Les, showed us around and then to our room. That gentleman could not have been more pleasant, welcoming or helpful, every hotel should have a Les. The hotel is fascinating and beautiful. Our room was very nice, the star point for me was our own private patio to relax on. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would love to go back someday.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest, Your wonderful review really captures the essence of what we all try to achieve at The Lygon Arms for our guests. Thank you for your compliments Les will be delighted, we very much look forward to seeing you again. Best Regards Rebecca Peniket
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Just spent 2 nights at The Lygon Arms with my wife for our 25th Anniversary.
The location (Broadway) is lovely like all of the Cotwolds.
The service at the hotel was excellent as were all the staff who were always willing to help.
Stayed in one of the premier rooms with a four poster bed.
Food and drink were very good too.
Would recommend The Lygon Arms to anyone.

1 Thank PJAV
LygonArms, General Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you would return to the hotel. Thank you very much for posting this comment

London
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I spent 1 night during our recent break in the Cotswolds. I had always wanted to stay at the Lygon Arms as it looks so traditionally British and full of character but never had a chance until now. I found an offer on Travelzoo, dinner B&B, which was affordable. I asked for a room in the old part of the hotel but I wasn't expecting it as our reservation was on special offer basis so we were really pleased to be given a very quaint and traditional looking room in the main hotel. The room itself was not particularly large but comfortable and pleasantly furnished although we could have done with bedside tables. The bed was big and very comfortable, bathroom a bit dated but of a good size, with a bath. We always prefer proper shower cubicles but we understand that in some of these old buildings that may not be feasible.
The restaurant food was good but probably not very good value for money. The breakfast was very nicely served and presented, with a fairly good choice although we found bacon and sausages a bit bland and we would have liked a mixed fruit salad.
The service throughout was good. The restaurant personnel were particularly pleasant and efficient and if we had to wait a bit longer than we like for our order to be taken they made up for it with their "nothing is too much trouble" attitude.
The hotel has a big car park at the rear and a very pleasant garden. The new building in the courtyard at the back is pretty ugly to look at but it's almost completely covered in shrubs and creepers so it's not too bad.
We will definitely return and we feel that we can recommend it.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank shoobona
I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay and that you will return to the hotel. I have noted your comments and will strive to improve on the points you raised. Thank you for your comments.

dudley
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

This review will be in two parts.

Part one being valentines weekend. We were lucky enough to be treated to a weekend away as a Christmas present from our children. As regular visitors to Broadway I have always longed to stay in this most prestigious hotel so we were chuffed to bits with this gift. We were booked for two nights bed and breakfast. The hotel itself is spectacular, the staff very attentive, but unfortunately we were left very disappointed by our room (106) while old world charm is endearing, sloping floors, creaking floor boards etc the same cannot be said for just down right poor maintenance. On entering our room with dimmed lights all looked lovely. How this vision changed in the full light of day, unfortunately for us February the 14th was an extremely windy night as we found with the wind whistling through the gaps in the window, keeping myself awake most of the night, I presume this is why it was taped up with brown parcel tape??? Very attractive. Then after we had showered and I tried to dry my hair we found that to get to the plug socket by the mirror meant moving a large chest of drawers, there was only one socket behind this so meant that the lamp had to be unplugged, which then meant it was too dark to see in the mirror. The only other socket available is next to the bed by the tea tray, but no mirror. I don't think it is appropriate to have to move furniture and mirrors in order to just dry ones hair. There are two lovely sinks in the bathroom, the plug does not work on the right hand side enabling it useless. Then that brings me to the decoration of the room, cracked, water stained ceiling with peeling wall paper. Sheets of unpainted mdf behind the tv and a carpet that has seen better days and I would not be willing to walk on bare foot. On the Saturday morning we had to ask the reception to look at the heating as it was too hot in the room and the radiator thermostat was not working and we couldn't open the window because of there poor condition. This is not what were were expecting from the hotel.
We ate in the Great Hall on the Friday night, whilst it was very busy when we arrived, by the time we finished there were only two other tables occupied but it still took an hour to be served our desserts from the time of ordering. While the staff were very attentive and the food sublime I can't understand why it would take so long when the restaurant was almost empty by this time. In the spa the jacuzzi was not working and the floor in the steam room was very dirty.

After several emails back and forward to the hotel manager we were offered a free return visit which we had this weekend and the review below is for this visit.

Check in was friendly and smooth and as before very professional, the receptionist took my phone number and rang when our room was ready, as we had arrived early to make the most of the Broadway festival. This time we were lucky enough to stay in room 21 which is in the old part of the building, the court yard suite. Wow what a lovely room. Overlooking the courtyard below the room has a sitting area with TV, tea and coffee making facilities, a very large bright modern bathroom with a shower over the bath with a large daisy shower head and complimentary toiletries, there were also towelling robes and slippers. There is a digital safe in the wardrobe. In the bedroom area the room was tastefully furnished and decorated with a large wooden bedstead, two comfy chairs a coffee table and dressing table with mirror and large flat screen tv. There is also an ornamental fireplace in the corner. We did not eat in the restaurant this time as we were there for the festival. Breakfast was a delight, everything you could wish for on a continental buffet with a choice of cooked items, full Cotswolds breakfast, kippers, smoked haddock or eggs Benedict all cooked to order. Service was prompt and professional. We did not use the spa on this occasion. Check out was straight forward.

We were pleased to give the hotel a second visit and it has now restored our faith in this hotel chain. I would NOT accept a room in the newer part of the hotel which has not been upgraded as they are not worth the money and I have stayed in better maintained Travelodge rooms. All of the photos to this review refer to our first visit in room 106.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
I am delighted that on your second visit, you found everthing as you should have, since your last visit alot of work has been do on the room stock to improve guest experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We have just had the most wonderful two night stay, at the Lygon arms in
Broadway, somewhere we have wanted to stay for a long time and my god we where
not disappointed. The staff and service was excellent, we upgraded our room and it was
beautiful to the front of the hotel. We brought our miniature daschund with us and nothing
was to much trouble,we will be back to the Lygon arms soon 100%. Thankyou

1 Thank eamonn g
LygonArms, Front Office Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest, Your wonderful review really captures the essence of what we all try to achieve at The Lygon Arms for our guests. The team will be delighted to hear your lovely comments. Thank you for your compliments and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Regards Rebecca Peniket
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed 4 July 2014. Beautiful old Cotswold building providing first class service. The staff are very well trained and were outstanding. The Great Hall (the restaurant) is a stunner. Dinner was very good indeed though portion size was a bit small for me (but not for my wife). I look forward to staying there again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LygonArms, Front Office Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Guest, Thankyou for choosing to stay at The Lygon Arms, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, i will share your compliments with the team. I do apologise that the meal portion size was to small for you i have shared your comments with the chef. We do look forward to seeing you soon. Best Regards Rebecca Peniket
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#4 of 6 in Broadway
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#3 of 23 in Cheltenham

Been to The Lygon Arms? Share your experiences!