“Worst service ever” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Weybridge, United Kingdom
“Worst service ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have never had so much trouble with a hotel in my life. The staff are complacent and staggeringly incompetent. All I wanted to do is pay for my reservation and confirm that everything is in order. I've received mismatched invoices, and, having had to exchange several emails and speak over the phone at least half a dozen times over a fortnight (and it's still not resolved) have been told: that I'd booked two rooms, and then that I'd booked only one; that I needed to pay up front, and that I needed to pay on departure; that only one room had been paid for, and that both rooms had been paid for; that I had booked at their early saving rate, and that I hadn't; that I'd booked for dinner and that I hadn't. And to top it off, when I asked for confirmation in writing three times I just didn't near back from them and had to call them back myself. Completely unbelievable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank M R
LygonArms, General Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest

Please accept my deepest apologies for all the confusion and inconvenience caused to you in trying to confirm your booking. I assure you this is not the norm at all and if you would like to call me to discuss your problems in more detail I would be very pleased to discuss them with you.
I do hope that you will consider returning to the hotel, and if so please contact me personnally so that I can take care of all the arrangements.
Yours Sincerely
Colin Heaney General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

A good value deal through Amazon in an old-fashioned but comfortable upmarket hotel in the beautiful Cotswolds. Worth the upgrade to a premium room with a large and firm four-poster bed and lots of room and furniture. Good sized telly and beautifully up to date bathroom. Staff all friendly but smart and confident.

Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LygonArms, Front Office Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Guest, Your wonderful review really captures the essence of what we all try to achieve at The Lygon Arms for our guests. The team will be delighted to hear your lovely compliments. Thank you for your comments, we look forward to seeing you again soon. Best Regards Rebecca Peniket
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is a beautiful old hotel with plenty of character, there are so many places to explore in this hotel, we stayed here for 2 nights on B/B basis. Loved the antiques and tapestries throughout the hotel. Our room was sizeable and the bed was comfortable, bathroom was fine - only downside was that the room and this part of the building was a little tired, needs a bit of a TLC. Our breakfasts were excellent - everything cooked to order. The staff throughout were first class, welcoming and efficient without being in your face. Plenty of free parking and Broadway itself is such a gem of a place. We didn't have time to use the leisure facilities, but was told by other residents that it was great. Would certainly recommend the Lygon Arms highly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Taffytime
Dear Guest, This is a very touching and much appreciated review of your experience at The Lygon Arms, It is a pleasure to hear we are getting it right. Thank you for your compliments, I will be sure to extend your praise to the rest of the team and we look forward to welcoming you back, Kind Regards Rebecca Peniket
surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Lovely historic hotel which I was surprised to find full.I have a feeling that their special deal was the reason.
Do not miss the series of gardens at the back culminating in the tennis courts.
Lots of little sitting areas. Rather ugly grand dining room, where is the stag's head which I had been told adorned it?
Two large car parks. Excellent walks from the hotel.
Dogs welcome at £15 a time.

Room Tip: We were in the 1926 garage extension with large room vast bathroom and a bed that almost took up the...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, Thankyou for your feedback we do value your insight. Our team work extremely hard to ensure that all our guests are comfortable throughout their stay, I am sorry that the dining room was not to your taste. It is correct there did used to be a stags head in there i can reassure you that the hotel is in a constant state of appraisal. We do hope to see you again. Kind Regards Rebecca Peniket
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in July in room 96. On arrival the valet parked our car and the receptionist checked us in. The wonderful Les, showed us around and then to our room. That gentleman could not have been more pleasant, welcoming or helpful, every hotel should have a Les. The hotel is fascinating and beautiful. Our room was very nice, the star point for me was our own private patio to relax on. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would love to go back someday.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest, Your wonderful review really captures the essence of what we all try to achieve at The Lygon Arms for our guests. Thank you for your compliments Les will be delighted, we very much look forward to seeing you again. Best Regards Rebecca Peniket
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Just spent 2 nights at The Lygon Arms with my wife for our 25th Anniversary.
The location (Broadway) is lovely like all of the Cotwolds.
The service at the hotel was excellent as were all the staff who were always willing to help.
Stayed in one of the premier rooms with a four poster bed.
Food and drink were very good too.
Would recommend The Lygon Arms to anyone.

1 Thank PJAV
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you would return to the hotel. Thank you very much for posting this comment
Kind Regards

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I spent 1 night during our recent break in the Cotswolds. I had always wanted to stay at the Lygon Arms as it looks so traditionally British and full of character but never had a chance until now. I found an offer on Travelzoo, dinner B&B, which was affordable. I asked for a room in the old part of the hotel but I wasn't expecting it as our reservation was on special offer basis so we were really pleased to be given a very quaint and traditional looking room in the main hotel. The room itself was not particularly large but comfortable and pleasantly furnished although we could have done with bedside tables. The bed was big and very comfortable, bathroom a bit dated but of a good size, with a bath. We always prefer proper shower cubicles but we understand that in some of these old buildings that may not be feasible.
The restaurant food was good but probably not very good value for money. The breakfast was very nicely served and presented, with a fairly good choice although we found bacon and sausages a bit bland and we would have liked a mixed fruit salad.
The service throughout was good. The restaurant personnel were particularly pleasant and efficient and if we had to wait a bit longer than we like for our order to be taken they made up for it with their "nothing is too much trouble" attitude.
The hotel has a big car park at the rear and a very pleasant garden. The new building in the courtyard at the back is pretty ugly to look at but it's almost completely covered in shrubs and creepers so it's not too bad.
We will definitely return and we feel that we can recommend it.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank shoobona
I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay and that you will return to the hotel. I have noted your comments and will strive to improve on the points you raised. Thank you for your comments.
Kind Regards

Colin Heaney General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Dormy House Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,208 reviews
The Fish Hotel
The Fish Hotel
#3 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Lygon Arms? Share your experiences!