“warning! Don't leave luggage in lobby”
Review of The Lygon Arms

The Lygon Arms
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
“warning! Don't leave luggage in lobby”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the hotel with our friends to celebrate both of our 30th wedding anniversaries. When we arrived both of our rooms were not ready so were asked to leave our luggage in reception so that as soon as the rooms were ready, our bags would be taken to the rooms. We had a lovely afternoon in Broadway & went back to the hotel to get changed for dinner. My husband had given me a beautiful pearl ring for our anniversary & I had left it my bag to wear that evening. When I went to get it from my bag, it wasn't there. I definitely put it the bag as I also had a pearl necklace & bracelet also in the bag & still there, so I can only assume that the ring was taken from my bag whilst it was in the lobby. I think for a 4* hotel not to have a secure room to store luggage is pretty bad. I haven't received an apology from the hotel as they seem to think that I must have lost it. This marred what was supposed to be a lovely weekend. Apart from that, we did like the hotel, waiting staff and food.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jennifer T
LygonArms, Front Office Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest, Firstly thankyou for choosing to stay at The Lygon Arms for your special anniversary congratulations and many happy returns. I am pleased you enjoyed your weekend and enjoyed the food and service provided. I am sorry that we were unable to locate your ring. We did a full investigation involving checking the CCTV and speaking to the staff on duty. As a result we found no evidence of foul play, however we will fully comply with the police in their investigations. We take the security of our guests property very seriously as a result of your experience we will be reviewing our procedures. In the meantime if i can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to call me. Best Regards Rebecca Peniket

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Polish first
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful comfortable old Coaching Inn with a dubious 1960/1970s annex (the common areas of which, are awfully tired). On our arrival, on a lovely sunny summer Saturday, we enjoyed a delicious lunch outside in the courtyard. The staff serving lunch were willing if very poorly organised - service extremely slow. Dinner at 21.00 hours in the Great Hall was superlative as were the wonderful choice of wines. Again, staff were disorganised. Sunday breakfast - food good - service was chaos. Will return for the excellent evening food as long as I am assured of a room in the old part of the inn.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thankyou for your feedback, I am delighted you enjoyed your weekend especially the food and wine in the great hall, however i am sorry you experienced slow service. I have shared your comments with the food and beverage team. We look forward to welcoming you back. Kind Regards Rebecca Peniket
london
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We got an amazing deal on a girls 2-night DBB break inc spa treatments. The hotel is utterly charming and cosy, with lots of nooks, crannies, comfy chairs to snooze in and drink tea after delicious facials and massages. We were in one of the cottage-style rooms, which was enormous and comfortable and perfect for my dog, who had fun running around in the beautiful gardens and being fussed by (almost) everyone. The great hall dining is wonderful, with a menu of local produce cooked perfectly and served elegantly with great wines to match.

The only reason this review drops a point is because the first evening of our stay was marred by a rude, condescending and ignorant member of the restaurant team who deeply insulted me. Fortunately this was quickly picked up and dealt with by the other members of staff, who acted professionally and could not do enough to ensure we enjoyed the rest of our stay. The hotel management will know what I'm referring to, but in an otherwise seamlessly well-run establishment with friendly and relaxed staff it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

We would love to go back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
LygonArms, Front Office Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your heart felt review. It is wonderful to hear your positive feedback, I am sorry a member of staff offended you, we have dealt with this as an internal matter. We all look forward to seeing you again in the future, Best Regards Rebecca Peniket
Loughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Our stay at this hotel exceeded our expectations by far. We had read good reviews so were looking forward to our stay. We were greeted with a very warm welcome at check in, we were offered a free upgrade the following evening as it was our wedding anniversary and my birthday (the hotel was fully booked when we arrived). However our room (a standard) was so lovely were were happy to remain where we were. We had patio doors which lead to a small private patio area with a table and chairs. The room, bathroom and shower were that of a superior room in comparison to other hotels I have stayed at, therefore the standard room in my opinion is of an extremely high quality.

The service provided throughout our stay was second to none. Reception staff provided us with very detailed information about the surrounding areas when inquiring about places to go for days out. The bar staff were incredibly attentive, topping up nibbles (olives and bombay style mix) regularly and of course re-filling our drinks. The restaurant staff were equally attentive, the food was excellent and the vast choice of breakfast met everyone's diet requirements.

The hotel itself is an amazing building, there is also a very large, well kept garden behind the hotel which we found to be very peaceful. The hotel has a SPA which I used and again found very enjoyable.

This hotel is a wonderful place to stay; delicious food, excellent service and beautiful surroundings. We would highly recommend staying here and would definitely come back to this hotel if we return to the area.

TIP: Parking is at the back of the hotel, its not difficult to find you simply drive past the hotel and loop around the back.

Room Tip: Ground floors seem to have a small private patio.
1 Thank Beverley I
LygonArms, Front Office Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your heart felt review. It is truly wonderful to hear your positive feedback. We all work extremley hard to ensure all our guests experience a wonderful stay. I am delighted the food and service exceeded your expectations, to be rated "simply the best" is a huge honour thankyou, we all look forward to seeing you again in the future, Best Regards Rebecca Peniket
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I arrived at the Lygon Arms on Sunday 17 Aug for a 2 night stay. At check in I was offered a room up grade. And was given room 4 in Orchard cottage. a lovely large room with super king bed, dressing room and bathroom overlooking the garden. Very quiet and peacefull.
Dinner on both nights was excellent to be able to serve food of this standard takes a lot of skill. Well done to the kitchen team.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest, Thankyou very much for reviewing your recent experience at The Lygon Arms, It is a pleasure to hear we are getting it right. I am delighted your enjoyed you meals so much i will be sure to pass on your praise to the head chef, We look forward to welcoming you back, Kind Regards Rebecca Peniket
London
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I wasn't sure whether I would leave a review as I had emailed the hotel privately about all the issues we had during our stay and I did receive a very prompt response with sincerish apologies and the offer of special rates should we return again. However having read a lot of the previous reviews outlining similar issues that my husband and I experienced during this visit, I feel it is better to give a view for people to make up their minds whether to choose this hotel or not for a stay.

We have stayed here previously on our wedding night 30 years ago and also ten years ago on our 20th anniversary. Both those stays were memorable and very enjoyable experience both with accommodation and dining. We were celebrating our 30th anniversary and on the plus side, we did manage to get a pretty good deal for deluxe room stay with dinner bed and breakfast.

Again on the plus side, when we arrived we were very happy with our room (8) and in still in awe of this beautiful historic building, (although the car park is very hard to find and was filled with puddles). We didn't find the Reception staff particularly warm in their welcome and we were told that dinner was booked for 9.30 p.m., which I immediately responded by informing the Receptionist that I had very definitely booked for 7.00 p.m. This was checked and agreed.

We did not get the promised Wifi in our room and when reported we were told that they would try and get the signal boosted, but still nothing, but we were not too bothered as we were on our anniversary night but if my husband needed to do any work and send emails, he had to go downstairs to send them.

the bedroom and bathroom were clean, comfortable, historic and good products - luckily it wasn't hot weather as you couldn't open the windows more than an inch as the resident pigeon outside our window would have got in. However, the pillows were very hard and uncomfortable.

We sat in one of the lovely side rooms with our menu and drinks but had to get staffs attention to take our order otherwise we may have been there all night. Very friendly waiter brought our drinks to us and when we were seated I was brought gluten free rolls, which was very much appreciated. Dinner was very good (except for the burnt cheese dessert). However I think the atmosphere has really changed in the Great Hall since our last visit, not intimate or romantic anymore, felt very full and you could hear the next tables conversation.

Then the worst part of the stay, the fire alarm goes off at 2.30 in the morning. Having read previous reviews this seems to be a recurrent problem! Having been in a hotel fire years ago, we woke up from a deep sleep to the alarm blaring away for what seemed like ages and we were getting dressed and shaking ready to get out - it must have been about ten minutes before it went off, I went down to reception to ask why it had gone off but barely got any explanation except it was a false alarm but couldn't get back to sleep as I felt so shaky until about 6.30 because I was worried that it might go off again and there might be a reason for it going off. Plus the pillows were so uncomfortable!

Feeling very bleary eyed we went down to breakfast at 9.40 only to be told we had to queue to wait for a table! We had to wait 15 minutes before being seated. Cold white toast for my husband although I did request a gluten free roll which I got. Cooked breakfast almost inedible - husband had one very soft poached egg, one hard as a brick! My scrambled egg the strangest I have ever seen, grainy looking and inedible. (Powdered egg?) We asked for replacements (I asked for a poached egg this time) but when they came they were underdone but we didn't have time to complain again. I have to say the waiting staff were very courteous and responded to our complaints. Hardly enough butter either to spread on one piece of bread.

Broadway is a beautiful village and the hotel is worthy of a visit for historical interest but even if we were offered a free stay, we don't think we would stay again, which is a shame after our two previous stays being lovely and nostalgic being it has always been on our wedding anniversary.

2 Thank masone
LygonArms, Front Office Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Guest, Thankyou for review, I am sorry the fire alarm disturbed you during the night, the alarm activation did bring to our attention a fault which needed acting upon and has since been fixed. We do take the safety of our guests very seriously especially as we are a listed building. Since your stay we have highlighted to the internet provider the poor access in your room. We do provide free internet access but we have encountered the occassional black spot. It is always worth mentioning a problem with a pillow to the team so that we can change it straight away without a fuss, we do have different types of pillows which allows us to accommodate guests preferences. I am also sorry our usual high standard of breakfast let you down i have discussed your comments with the head chef to ensure we maintain high standards even in the last 30 minutes of breakfast when most guests arrive. Whilst your feedback is very much appreciated, please be assured that your experience is not representative of our usual standards of service. We very much hope that you will give us another chance to show you a true Lygon Experience. Kindest Regards Rebecca Peniket
Nottingham
Reviewed 22 August 2014

A beautiful period hotel, a stunningly beautiful English country Inn with gardens.
Delightful location.
Perfect for dog lovers as hotel has a very good pet friendly attitude.A perfect place to holiday with your dog.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest, Thankyou for your delightful review of your recent visit to The Lygon Arms, We are proud to welcome dogs to the hotel. I do hope we see you again, Best Regards Rebecca Peniket
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#3 of 22 in Cheltenham
The Fish Hotel
The Fish Hotel
#3 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Lygon Arms? Share your experiences!