“Delightful weekend”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
UK
“Delightful weekend”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Our second visit here, many years apart and the place is as pleasant as ever. We asked for a room in the old part of the hotel and were given a nice one at the front of the building. Once upon a time this wouldn't be ideal because the Lygon is on the main road to Oxford and the traffic used to be heavy, These days the bi-pass diverts all that and you're left with the local traffic only - including the odd tractor - so you have a good view of the passing tourists and the splendid pale yellow stonework of the idyllic buildings that is Broadway.

We didn't have a B&B package so we decided to try what the local small businesses had to offer - immediately across the road we found the Market Pantry that cooks a magnificently rustic 'full English' and good coffee - highly recommended.

The hotel is old and rambling but with modern additions - notably a good size swimming pool. There's plenty of free parking too which is a blessing as it's tough to park otherwise. I'm pleased to say that WiFI is also free and works well enough.

We eat in the bar one night as the restaurant was fully booked until late - so it's advisable to book in advance. The bar food was pretty good though. We did manage to eat in the restaurant for dinner one evening but were both slightly disappointed - they're trying too hard to be 'fine dining' but not really pulling it off. They'd do better sticking to less frippery and producing simpler food more thoughtfully.

Overall though a good experience and we'll return.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the old part of the hotel if you like that kind of thing.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
LygonArms, Front Office Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Dear Guest, Thankyou for your review, I am delighted you enjoyed your return stay after so long. Feedback is important to us so we are best able to direct our efforts. I have shared your comments regarding your food experience to the head chef to ensure we adapt and improve our offerings to our guests, I do hope we will see you again, Kindest Regards Rebecca Peniket

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My partner and I stumbled across this place as we were walking along Broadway, and didn't know what to expect. Our waiter was very friendly and suggested the burger telling us it was "very good" It was indeed - served on a fresh sourdough bun with cheese and bacon. My partner was happy with his food - some sort of assorted cold meat plate.

1 Thank Samantha P
LygonArms, Front Office Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest, Thankyou for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed your lunch with us. The staff are well informed in terms of the menu to assist guests in making their decision. We do hope you will return in the future and stay with us to experience the rest of The Lygon Arms experience. Kind Regards Rebecca Peniket
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the hotel with our friends to celebrate both of our 30th wedding anniversaries. When we arrived both of our rooms were not ready so were asked to leave our luggage in reception so that as soon as the rooms were ready, our bags would be taken to the rooms. We had a lovely afternoon in Broadway & went back to the hotel to get changed for dinner. My husband had given me a beautiful pearl ring for our anniversary & I had left it my bag to wear that evening. When I went to get it from my bag, it wasn't there. I definitely put it the bag as I also had a pearl necklace & bracelet also in the bag & still there, so I can only assume that the ring was taken from my bag whilst it was in the lobby. I think for a 4* hotel not to have a secure room to store luggage is pretty bad. I haven't received an apology from the hotel as they seem to think that I must have lost it. This marred what was supposed to be a lovely weekend. Apart from that, we did like the hotel, waiting staff and food.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jennifer T
Dear Guest, Firstly thankyou for choosing to stay at The Lygon Arms for your special anniversary congratulations and many happy returns. I am pleased you enjoyed your weekend and enjoyed the food and service provided. I am sorry that we were unable to locate your ring. We did a full investigation involving checking the CCTV and speaking to the staff on duty. As a result we found no evidence of foul play, however we will fully comply with the police in their investigations. We take the security of our guests property very seriously as a result of your experience we will be reviewing our procedures. In the meantime if i can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to call me. Best Regards Rebecca Peniket
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful comfortable old Coaching Inn with a dubious 1960/1970s annex (the common areas of which, are awfully tired). On our arrival, on a lovely sunny summer Saturday, we enjoyed a delicious lunch outside in the courtyard. The staff serving lunch were willing if very poorly organised - service extremely slow. Dinner at 21.00 hours in the Great Hall was superlative as were the wonderful choice of wines. Again, staff were disorganised. Sunday breakfast - food good - service was chaos. Will return for the excellent evening food as long as I am assured of a room in the old part of the inn.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thankyou for your feedback, I am delighted you enjoyed your weekend especially the food and wine in the great hall, however i am sorry you experienced slow service. I have shared your comments with the food and beverage team. We look forward to welcoming you back. Kind Regards Rebecca Peniket
london
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We got an amazing deal on a girls 2-night DBB break inc spa treatments. The hotel is utterly charming and cosy, with lots of nooks, crannies, comfy chairs to snooze in and drink tea after delicious facials and massages. We were in one of the cottage-style rooms, which was enormous and comfortable and perfect for my dog, who had fun running around in the beautiful gardens and being fussed by (almost) everyone. The great hall dining is wonderful, with a menu of local produce cooked perfectly and served elegantly with great wines to match.

The only reason this review drops a point is because the first evening of our stay was marred by a rude, condescending and ignorant member of the restaurant team who deeply insulted me. Fortunately this was quickly picked up and dealt with by the other members of staff, who acted professionally and could not do enough to ensure we enjoyed the rest of our stay. The hotel management will know what I'm referring to, but in an otherwise seamlessly well-run establishment with friendly and relaxed staff it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

We would love to go back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
LygonArms, Front Office Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your heart felt review. It is wonderful to hear your positive feedback, I am sorry a member of staff offended you, we have dealt with this as an internal matter. We all look forward to seeing you again in the future, Best Regards Rebecca Peniket
Loughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Our stay at this hotel exceeded our expectations by far. We had read good reviews so were looking forward to our stay. We were greeted with a very warm welcome at check in, we were offered a free upgrade the following evening as it was our wedding anniversary and my birthday (the hotel was fully booked when we arrived). However our room (a standard) was so lovely were were happy to remain where we were. We had patio doors which lead to a small private patio area with a table and chairs. The room, bathroom and shower were that of a superior room in comparison to other hotels I have stayed at, therefore the standard room in my opinion is of an extremely high quality.

The service provided throughout our stay was second to none. Reception staff provided us with very detailed information about the surrounding areas when inquiring about places to go for days out. The bar staff were incredibly attentive, topping up nibbles (olives and bombay style mix) regularly and of course re-filling our drinks. The restaurant staff were equally attentive, the food was excellent and the vast choice of breakfast met everyone's diet requirements.

The hotel itself is an amazing building, there is also a very large, well kept garden behind the hotel which we found to be very peaceful. The hotel has a SPA which I used and again found very enjoyable.

This hotel is a wonderful place to stay; delicious food, excellent service and beautiful surroundings. We would highly recommend staying here and would definitely come back to this hotel if we return to the area.

TIP: Parking is at the back of the hotel, its not difficult to find you simply drive past the hotel and loop around the back.

Room Tip: Ground floors seem to have a small private patio.
1 Thank Beverley I
LygonArms, Front Office Manager at The Lygon Arms, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your heart felt review. It is truly wonderful to hear your positive feedback. We all work extremley hard to ensure all our guests experience a wonderful stay. I am delighted the food and service exceeded your expectations, to be rated "simply the best" is a huge honour thankyou, we all look forward to seeing you again in the future, Best Regards Rebecca Peniket
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I arrived at the Lygon Arms on Sunday 17 Aug for a 2 night stay. At check in I was offered a room up grade. And was given room 4 in Orchard cottage. a lovely large room with super king bed, dressing room and bathroom overlooking the garden. Very quiet and peacefull.
Dinner on both nights was excellent to be able to serve food of this standard takes a lot of skill. Well done to the kitchen team.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest, Thankyou very much for reviewing your recent experience at The Lygon Arms, It is a pleasure to hear we are getting it right. I am delighted your enjoyed you meals so much i will be sure to pass on your praise to the head chef, We look forward to welcoming you back, Kind Regards Rebecca Peniket
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
Buckland Manor Country House Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,260 reviews
The Fish Hotel
The Fish Hotel
#3 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Lygon Arms? Share your experiences!