“Nick60”

and 1 more site!
Mill Hay Country House
Ranked #17 of 30 Broadway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2014

A quiet and rather refined place to stay. Welcome was excellent as was the breakfasts. Our room was very well appointed, and very comfortable. Only a few minutes drive to get to main area of Broadway. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for here. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Use your satnav as postcode is spot on
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We booked two rooms as a treat for my Mum and I as a rest stop on our way to Scotland on arrival we were met by the families son who was with friends as we pulled up so we were given the fastest tour ever to the point I politely let him know that my Mum is in her eighties and no longer runs .
The first night was restful enough despite no doors between bedrooms and bathrooms which made it uncomfortable for my mother when we were sitting chatting and she or I needed to use the loo despite the fact that the 'Suite 'had a sitting area next to the bathroom .I briefly saw the owner on the first night and let her know that there were several blown light bulbs in both rooms,and a lot of cobwebs- this was not sorted.
On the first night we became aware of a very odd smell in the bigger bedroom next morning it was very obvious that the carpet in the bathroom/bedroom was very stained ,and there was a damp area in the corner of the bathroom.The carpet was not nearly as stained as the carpet in the breakfast room which had yellow puddle stains in front of the fireplace -there were resident dogs an old one and from the sound of it a very young one.
Breakfast was thanks to not the owner but a lovely lady who came in and cooked each morning she put on a good spread of food ,and was charming.The owner however was just cold . We were asked by the owner 'have you ordered your breakfast!' not 'did you sleep well?' or even' good morning'!
Mum and I returned that evening for our second nights stay after a tiring day for my Mum at Hidcote garden and Snowshill -to discover a party in full swing the dinner for the party was right outside our bedrooms on the terrace and the owners and their guests did not go indoors until after 1030pm and the last door slammed was 1am .They were also referring to the people staying as old biddies .....sorry we are not old!! Not once did the owner say she was having a party and when confronted about it the next day we were told that she felt that she had every right to a party and we would just have to put up with it,as their guest the night before were 'very educated people'. Then went stomping off. She also said that I did not hear the old biddies phrase -a bit difficult not too as it was said at full bellow it is amazing how terrible 'very educated people' sound when they are roaring drunk. When the cook asked where the brown bread was we could hear -oh just give them that! like we were the dirt under her feet.
The other interesting thing about this house is that the owners appear to have older parents staying with them and the lady is a little confused as to who the people in the house are so kept coming to our bedroom door at 6 am both mornings to say hello and good morning........go figure!! We were charged £ 770 for two rooms for two nights even though there was only two of us .........Please there are better choices to be made do not be a fool like me.
I had to drive to Scotland which took 6 hours thanks to road works and accidents on five hours sleep something I also would NOT recommend!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Hazel C
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Good
Location, clean, room facilities, garden
Bad
On arrival the room I booked a few months earlier with the balcony was occupied and it was clear that this was not going to change, we were offered an “upgrade” and as this was a special treat and day for my wife, I did not want to cause a scene. What we had not noticed was that this upgraded room had no closing door to the bathroom and toilet. At breakfast the next day and after saying a cheery good morning to the lady of the house we were ignored for some time whilst she explained the workings of her exercise watch to a nice group of German guests. When we did get some attention it was explained that she thought others were looking after us, although it was plain to see we had not been looked after, as she stood next to our table. The main gardens were nice, however, some of the areas where we were invited to explore were dangerous with broken slabs and rubble.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Greybeard2014
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife and II stayed here on the 15th of March, The owner was very nice indeed, and we felt very welcome, The house itself is beautiful and the rooms are really comfortable, We were given an upgrade to our room, which I thought was kind, especially as I had managed to not let the owner know when we were arriving, The house, which is stunning, is set in beautiful gardens and the surrounding countryside is amazing

Highly Recommended!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank telefrag
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This was a birthday present from my boyfriend and it was such a nice treat! The house is really beautiful with a relaxed atmosphere. We had a gorgeous view onto the garden and hosts are really friendly. Breakfast was delicious too with lots of choices. I also think the location is great if you are interested in hiking, there are lots of great walks nearby. Highly recommended for a nice romantic getaway!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EvaHudakova
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Let me start off by saying that this isn't the cheapest B&B out there. In fact, I would put it somewhere between a b&b and a boutique hotel.

This place was recommended by a friend and we were not let down at all. The Mill Hay House only lets out 3 rooms at a given time, so that is about 6 guests. We had anything we wanted for breakfast (as long as the kitchen had it), prepared by a chef who did a stint with MasterChef. The b&b staff were friendly and showed genuine effort in ensuring we had a pleasant stay.

We stayed in the Garden Suite and it had the most comfortable bed you can ever imagine coming home to after a long summer day touring the Cotswolds!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sandybottom86
Reviewed 6 August 2013

A beautiful house and gardens. Great breakfast, very pretty room and great hosts.
It was a very relaxing place to stay and I would definitely it for couples. A million miles away from a typical chain hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family