“Not as bad as others found it”

Barrington's Brasserie
Ranked #18 of 39 Restaurants in Broadway
Price range: US$13 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Lygon Arms Hotel is home to Barrington's, an intimate all day dining 35 seat brasserie serving English classics and modern European cuisine. Pop in for brunch from 10am, lunch from midday, Tea and cake every afternoon from 2pm to 5pm or join us for a la carte dining from 5pm. Alfresco dining available when the weather permits.
Reviewed 25 May 2014

It was raining in Broadway and we were hungry. Found Lukes. Made the 'mistake' of "TripAdvisoring" Lukes whilst we waited for our order. "Oh dear". The recent reviews looked poor. However, our food arrived in timely fashion and was excellent. The service was excellent too. The only gripes were that the decor looked "tired" and the music was more to the taste of the staff than the clientele.

Colin H, General Manager at Barrington's Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you very much for writing this response, I am pleased that dispite other comments you enjoyed your food and that the staff looked after you well.

Colin Heaney. General Manager The Lygon Arms

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We've sampled all of the eateries in Broadway and whilst Lukes has been open for some time, this was our first visit. And it will be our last. The food was distinctly average but the prices were not. At the end of the meal we were told that they didn't take credit cards or debit cards! I saw no notice of this at their premises, nor can I find a reference to this on their website. How peculiar in this day and age. I would not recommend it.

4  Thank snillocm

I am sorry you felt that Luke's didn't live up to your expectations, but even more concerned that you were told we didn't take credit/debit cards which is not the case at all.

Colin Heaney General Manager

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Our appetizers came with many flaws, too many to list but as an example the chilli that garnished the plate had mold in it. We told the manager and we have this impression that its not the first time he heard about this before at the restaurant possibly due the quality of the food maybe? Nevertheless he listened and even invited us to the drinks we had ordered and were going to pay for. We decided not to stay any longer to find out how the second course is going to be and move to the pub up the road.

3  Thank BradMcan

We take our food hygienne very seriously and all food is prepared fresh daily, I will ensure that further checks are put in place to monitor standards. I am very soory that you had an issue with the food.

Colin Heaney. General Manager. The Lygon Arms

Reviewed 3 May 2014

This is not a good place. The young chef already has a shaky reputation and this bistro is steadily eroding what is left. My wife and I left hungrier than when we arrived, feeling ripped off and ignored.
Whilst we all realise poshnosh is never going to amount to heaps of food this was ridiculous. £33 for two tiny portions of sea bass that between them could barely rival three fish fingers ,one bowl of rice split between two and a couple of wilted pak choi leaves. Starters were okay ,but pricey.
We arrived at 6.45 as we hadn't booked and were told we'd need to leave by 8.15 as all tables were reserved. We agreed, but then they took 45 minutes to even serve a course. At 8.10 we suggested dessert (still hungry) only to be told we'd have to move upstairs as the table was required. So we left.
My wife was still so hungry she bought some chips from the chippy next door and a box of chocs to assuage the lack of pudding. She so rarely complains about food I felt this a good reason to gripe about this shoddy establishment. How sad that it is associated with the much better Lygon Arms nextdoor.
One final calumny was on passing the bistro with our much needed chips at 8.40 the place was barely half full, so why the angst over taking in passing trade? The staff are very poor the food is worse.

5  Thank foxmeister-10

I am very disappointed to read your comments and would like to apologise sincerely for the problems you experienced. I will review the menu and portion sizes with Luke to improve standrads going forward. As well as speed of service.

Colin Heaney. The Lygon Arms

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Myself and 7 of my friends were away in Broadway for the weekend so after looking around the high street chose Luke's, one of the group pointed out he had featured on 'Great British Menu' so we felt it was sure to be a good meal. When we arrived the head waiter or manager was very kind and trying to help even offering to make changes to dishes if we wanted, but sadly he left and thats when things went downhill.

As we were a party of 8 we booked knowing often restaurants need to prepare, however despite the notice the first issue was the fact we waited about 40 minutes for our main meals, when they came we were all surprised by the small portion size but know often with higher quality meals you feel more full than you would expect, this however sadly wasn't the case, at £17.50 for a tiny dish and being left feeling unsatisfied, it was a little disappointing, although some people said the actual food was nice no one was blown away, and myself and another party member were served a cold meal of greasy tasteless fish and about 5 chips, I wouldn't mind this at a restaurant chain but again it did not reflect the price.

Throughout the meal we were NOT ONCE asked how our food/experience was, we also were not offered any further drinks once the helpful manager who got us our first round left, the other staff were very absent we couldn't even grab them to ask for more drinks, you would think this would be in their interest and if they had been attentive we definitely would have spent more.

Feeling still dissatisfied from our main meals we all opted for dessert, myself and a friend also chose to have a cheese board each at nearly £10 because we were still hungry actually. We were then not given options of cheese and when it came 3 small slices of cheese and a few crackers were presented when it had been described very differently on the menu, and when I asked the waitress for the 'crusty bread' stated on the menu, her response was 'well I can see if I can get you some' rather than apologising for neglecting to bring it out properly.

The attitude continued when the coffee's came out without the additional features stated on the menu as well such as fudge and syrup, with no apology and when asked were it was the waitress said 'well we might have some turkish delight' not quite the same and may have effected the choice of people drink if they were told previously, and when a soy coffee was requested it came with normal milk, again no apology.

When it came to paying the bill, baring in mind we made up half the covers of the entire restaurant that night, when we asked for the card machine so we could split the bill across out individual cards the waitress quite openly sarcastically smirked and said 'brilliant' whilst walking away.

When we did get the bill they had then charged for the wrong drinks making them more expensive, which may have been not so much of a problem but the drinks weren't even worth the original price as they lacked half what the menu stated.

All in all it was largely overpriced for the standard of food, the portion size and attention to detail is poor, and the menu needs addressing if what is being served is going to be different to what is on the menu as this will effect peoples choices.

The staff are the biggest problem though, apart from the older manager who was very on top of things, the younger female staff acted like moody teenagers who really didn't want to be there, they gave no information about menu changes, no knowledge on the food, gave no options and had no recommendations and this is before you consider the sarcasm and actual direct rudeness of them.

The music throughout was also constantly changing, again by the younger staff, I would normally ignore this but along with everything else it was hard to overlook.

The one mark is for the guy who greeted us.

Shame Luke's named is being dragged through the mud.

4  Thank Mkb535

I am very sorry that we seemed to have got your whole experience so wrong. I will be addressing all the points you have raised and talking to Luke about the portion sizes and content of the dishes. The staff will also get more customer care training, I apologise for them being rude.
I do hope you may give us a second chance one day in the future.

Colin Heaney, General Manager. The Lygon Arms