“Not a club sandwich”

Ranked #16 of 39 Restaurants in Broadway
Price range: US$13 - US$38
Cuisines: British, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Lygon Arms Hotel is home to Barrington's, an intimate all day dining 35 seat brasserie serving English classics and modern European cuisine. Pop in for brunch from 10am, lunch from midday, Tea and cake every afternoon from 2pm to 5pm or join us for a la carte dining from 5pm. Alfresco dining available when the weather permits.
“Not a club sandwich”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We visited Luke's today and were very disappointed... There was only a bank holiday Monday menu available, we chose club sandwich it was £8.50 when it arrived I must say it was not a club sandwich.. It was white bread not toasted, spread with avocado sauce, with 1 piece of bacon and very little chicken. It was served with just plain lettuce leaves. We ordered extra chips at £2.50 per bowl, which were over cooked and very salty.

It really didn't warrant the prices at all.

When we left we noticed the club sandwich was on the main menu for £6.50.. I know it's a bank holiday but that's not good practice to charge extra due to the holiday day.

For 4 club sandwiches and 2 bowls of chips and 4 drinks £55 they were just a chicken and bacon sandwich NOT A CLUB. Clearly this restaurant is trying to be gastro bistro but has a long way to go...

1 Thank John0601
Colin H, General Manager at Barrington's Brasserie, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your lunch on bank holiday monday and didn't think it value for money, for which I apologise. We do not change prices just because it is a bank holiday, there was an error made, if you would like to contact me I will arrange for a refund to be made.

Colin Heaney General Manager The Lygon Arms

Kegworth, United Kingdom
“Not as bad as others found it”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

It was raining in Broadway and we were hungry. Found Lukes. Made the 'mistake' of "TripAdvisoring" Lukes whilst we waited for our order. "Oh dear". The recent reviews looked poor. However, our food arrived in timely fashion and was excellent. The service was excellent too. The only gripes were that the decor looked "tired" and the music was more to the taste of the staff than the clientele.

• Visited May 2014
Thank you very much for writing this response, I am pleased that dispite other comments you enjoyed your food and that the staff looked after you well.

Colin Heaney. General Manager The Lygon Arms
St Maxime
“Luke's out of Luck”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We've sampled all of the eateries in Broadway and whilst Lukes has been open for some time, this was our first visit. And it will be our last. The food was distinctly average but the prices were not. At the end of the meal we were told that they didn't take credit cards or debit cards! I saw no notice of this at their premises, nor can I find a reference to this on their website. How peculiar in this day and age. I would not recommend it.

4 Thank snillocm
I am sorry you felt that Luke's didn't live up to your expectations, but even more concerned that you were told we didn't take credit/debit cards which is not the case at all.

Colin Heaney General Manager
London
“Not a good experience. Left before we even can finish appetizers.”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Our appetizers came with many flaws, too many to list but as an example the chilli that garnished the plate had mold in it. We told the manager and we have this impression that its not the first time he heard about this before at the restaurant possibly due the quality of the food maybe? Nevertheless he listened and even invited us to the drinks we had ordered and were going to pay for. We decided not to stay any longer to find out how the second course is going to be and move to the pub up the road.

3 Thank BradMcan
We take our food hygienne very seriously and all food is prepared fresh daily, I will ensure that further checks are put in place to monitor standards. I am very soory that you had an issue with the food.

Colin Heaney. General Manager. The Lygon Arms
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Shocking. Disappointing. Quite dreadful”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This is not a good place. The young chef already has a shaky reputation and this bistro is steadily eroding what is left. My wife and I left hungrier than when we arrived, feeling ripped off and ignored.
Whilst we all realise poshnosh is never going to amount to heaps of food this was ridiculous. £33 for two tiny portions of sea bass that between them could barely rival three fish fingers ,one bowl of rice split between two and a couple of wilted pak choi leaves. Starters were okay ,but pricey.
We arrived at 6.45 as we hadn't booked and were told we'd need to leave by 8.15 as all tables were reserved. We agreed, but then they took 45 minutes to even serve a course. At 8.10 we suggested dessert (still hungry) only to be told we'd have to move upstairs as the table was required. So we left.
My wife was still so hungry she bought some chips from the chippy next door and a box of chocs to assuage the lack of pudding. She so rarely complains about food I felt this a good reason to gripe about this shoddy establishment. How sad that it is associated with the much better Lygon Arms nextdoor.
One final calumny was on passing the bistro with our much needed chips at 8.40 the place was barely half full, so why the angst over taking in passing trade? The staff are very poor the food is worse.

5 Thank foxmeister-10
I am very disappointed to read your comments and would like to apologise sincerely for the problems you experienced. I will review the menu and portion sizes with Luke to improve standrads going forward. As well as speed of service.

Colin Heaney. The Lygon Arms