“Customer care? Not listening to what the customer requests.”
Review of Broadway Deli

Broadway Deli
Ranked #2 of 40 Restaurants in Broadway
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 14 June 2014

+One has to be extremely happy or unhappy to write a trip advisor report. Sadly my experience in the Broadway Deli is the latter,and is my first ever negative report. My objective assessment of my request for a cooked English breakfast is as follows: I explained that as it was my birthday I wanted a really good breakfast. I was in a happy mood looking forward to an activity packed day of fun and celebration. There is standard breakfast, however I required something more substantial. I therefore requested sunny side up eggs two, two well done rashers of bacon, and two well done sausages. Money was no object today. I wanted a happy and memorable breakfast on my birthday. One reason for returning here was for there exceptional coffee, which my partner and I have raved about to our friends..
My order came with scrambled eggs! I politely informed the waiter that I had requested sunny side up eggs. My breakfast was whisked away to prepare my fried eggs. It returned with my whole meal toast (which had been pre-buttered) in a sorry and soggy state as it had soaked up moisture from the tomato and mushroom. The waiter removed the soggy toast and went to prepare some fresh toast. I continued to eat my breakfast, and was to say the least underwhelmed by the inattention of service and preparation, given that I had made specific requests to meet my personal taste. One egg was beautifully prepared and with a soft yolk the other was hard and over cooked. How does that happen? My sausages were undercooked with the centre a little too pink, which suggested to me some risk to health. The flavour of the sausage was however exceptional. I would have purchased some to take home, had things been different. The overall eating experience was pretty disappointing, notwithstanding the sensational coffee they serve which sadly came with warm rather than hot milk - I chose not to mention this. However, I thought it appropriate to mention my scrambled eggs and soggy toast to one of the senior staff. He listened with non-verbal signs of disinterest to my constructive suggestion that toast may be better served on a side plate. That was unfortunate as I had taken the trouble to approach leave personal feedback of my experience which may have been useful to him in managing his business. Here I am reminded of, "If we please you, please tell others. If we do not please tell us".....? I then put my visit down to experience. Now for a subjective reflection when I arrived at the till to pay. My partner had eaten two very small very thin and very expensive Biscotti slices, with her coffee whilst I indulged in my breakfast (these were biscuits from a packet that I was purchasing for her from the Deli - we visit the Deli perhaps three - four times a year when visiting Broadway). On paying for my breakfast and coffees a man at the till informed me that he was going to charge me VAT on the biscuits (of which she had eaten two!). I was flabbergasted. I would have thought that it would have been appropriate to discretely mention that they would prefer that deli items bought for take away purposes were not part eaten on the premises. That would have seemed reasonable. There was no information visible to me, outlining that "any items bought on the premises and consumed or part consumed would be liable for VAT".Instead he and other staff members added that this was the law and that we should not vote Conservative. I had thought that I had entered an eating establishment of reasonable standing and was therefore surprised to have political ideology aggressively thrust before me. Another senior member of staff then said, "Look mate it's the law". To which I informed him that I was not as yet, or likely to be in the near future, and given his brusque and unfriendly manner, likely to be his 'mate'. My one question to the people who run this Deli is why oh why on earth would you behave in such a petty "jobs-worth" manner to your clientele? The net result is that I feel personally attacked and offended by your manner, which you had the choice to exercise appropriately. Furthermore, I will never set foot in the Broadway Deli again whilst it is under your management and I will advise as many people to do the same. I feel you did not listen to my request for breakfast very well at all and your manners and customer care were exceedingly poor. I would suggest some investment in customer care training.

14  Thank Andy E

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Grabbed some sandwiches here while walking through Broadway on the Cotswold Way. Sandwiches were made fresh to order, with good ingredients on very nice bread. Sat in the grass nearby and ate while watching all the other tourists milling about. This makes a very good lunch spot to regain energy before walking up the next hill on the Way.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I love the deli fro the range of excellent food on offer. The new premises are bigger and airier with a lovely garden in which to take your coffee and snack.

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

This is a nice cafe and bakery in Broadway. We went here during our stay in the Cotswolds. It has both an in-house restaurant with a broad selection (we went for breakfast) as well as a grocery shop with fresh fruits .

As vegetarians, there were good options to eat. I would recommend the homemade hummus which comes with artisan bread as well as goat cheese and veggie sandwich.

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Is this a deli with a coffee shop or a coffee shop with a deli? Either way it excels! If you eat in, the produce from the deli is what is offered on the menu. Locally sourced fruit, veg, meat, pastries, pies, cakes and bread sit side by side with more exotic fare.

Situated opposite the Lygon Arms on Broadway, it is well worth a visit. Needless to say I left laden with fresh produce.