“Wonderful stay - you get what you pay for!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Russell's
Ranked #5 of 31 Broadway B&B and Inns
West Sussex
“Wonderful stay - you get what you pay for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

We stayed at Russell's last Friday and Saturday night, to tie in with my husband's 50th birthday treat (driving supercars at Mallory Park). We are regulars to the area, although we have previously always stayed in the country, so I was nervous there may be traffic noise, etc. But my husband was adament - he loved the pictures on the website and convinced me it would be a nice change. He was not wrong.

I had researched the place thoroughly on T/A, so knew there was a small car park around the back they share with Budgens. NB: Consider this if you can when you arrive. Broadway is a small village - a free car park is going to fill up quickly. Sure - you have to be lucky to get a space, but use some common sense on your arrival time, and you should be lucky. We were able to park both on arrival on Friday and our return from the day out on Saturday.

From the moment we arrived everything was spot on. Alice was very friendly at checkin and offered to carry our stuff to the room - we carried our own but Alice led us to the room and left us to sort ourselves out. We went for a walk up to the Tower (we have done this 3 times and each time - including this time - the heavens opened on us), but that is British weather and not the fault of Russells. It didn't "dampen" our spirits.

We chose to eat in the Workshop (the sister restaurant to the main bistro) as we were going for a fancy meal on Saturday. Workshop offers plainer food but by no means sub-standard. We had a lovely table upstairs enjoying the converted building and admiring the beams.

The bed was king size and very comfortable. A/c great, double sinks (great when your trying to comb your hair and hubby is in the way shaving!), large bath and very powerful shower. Room had everything you could need and looked out to the back courtyard and car park. No great view, but so what?

Breakfast was lovely. I take the point the previous person made. The lady did ask several times if you wanted anymore tea/coffee/toast, etc., but rather that than ignoring you! I didn't want anymore toast before my main breakfast but had changed my mind after the cooked b/fast so was pleased with her attention.

Great place to return to if you've been elsewhere for a meal - just grab a table and the staff will bring you a drink over. They remembered my husband's drive day and actually asked how it went. So, they're working but it's nice they do it with apparent interest in their guests rather than standing at the bar scowling at you, waiting for you to go to bed!.

Check out was easy. No problems.

I will say when in the restaurant you cannot hear any noise from the street as they have secondary double glazing.

We paid £190 p/night. Yes, expensive (perhaps £150 would have been more reasonable). But if you want class, comfort and a stress-free stay, you have to pay for it. We will return due to the friendly staff, comfortableness and home from home feeling of Russell's.

Thank you guys for a wonderful stay. Sorry - can't remember the name of the guy we were talking to about the driving experience - you know who you are!

PS: To the 3 ladies who came down for b/fast right on 10:30am and moaned about everything including "who on earth gets up for breakfast at this time!?", suggest you stay at home next time. They also complained about the room being hot but, I enquired on checkout and all rooms do have a/con so...??? Perhaps this lady didn't know how to operate it, or didn't have her maid to switch it on for her...!

Room Tip: Luxury king size room at back (3), no real view of village but quietness guaranteed and a lovely com...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank sandra_sussex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hebrew first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

My husband and I have admired russells for years but were slightly disappointed when we stayed there for 1 night last weekend. The room was delightful however not worth the £230 we paid. We have stayed in far better places for similar money. The breakfast was ok however I was getting slightly annoyed by the 6th time I was asked if I wanted a paper. The bit that really let the place down was outside, there was a broken umbrella just left on the floor and the courtyard looked like it had just been abandoned. Overall not worth the money I'm afraid. Looks like they spent a lot of money on it when it opened but are now struggling to maintain the standard they once set.

Room Tip: Spacious room furnished to a high standard but slightly over priced!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Victoria J
Aston UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

Booked this hotel for a 1 night stay for my Husbands 60th with some friends from USA. From the moment we arrived to a very friendly and warm welcome to the moment we left was really great. Room was fantastic and clean, food was excellent and the free bar was more than welcome. Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

We didn't stay in room but had lunch here and wanted to write a review as the staff were so great, really friendly and helpful.
The meal was also very good, great fish would go again. We didn't see this hotel advertised which is a shame, found it visiting the village Broadway which is a beautiful village would also recommend visiting Bourton-on-the-Water and The Slaughters.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

Stayed for 1 night in 1st floor twin - room 1.

A very friendly welcome and the room was modern and clean with a comfortable bed, good view over the town and hills beyond. Only 7 rooms in total - all share a decent complimentary bar.

Good breakfast - very good quality ingredients.

Not a particularly cheap place to stay but reasonable value at £150 a night.

Would recommend

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gpd202
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

I spent a lovely night at this hotel and enjoyed a delicious meal in the restaurant.
The room was spacious and well decorated. Aircon was a real bonus as it was such a hot night. A lovely roll top bath for me.. (my friend was not too impressed that he then had to use a hand held shower attachment)...I thought how hard life must be for him as I wallowed in a deep bath, clutching a glass of chilled white wine from the COMPLEMENTARY drinks bar on the hotel landing. A small library of CDs and DVDs was appreciated. We had a great table in the restaurant by the open doors leading out to the al fresco dining area. Suberb food, a highlight for me was the local cheese platter. Staff were excellent. I would love to return sometime.
Finding the carpark was a bit confusing. It is in the Budgen' supermarket. My SatNav sent me to the wrong place, but the hotel does recommend you ask them for directions.

Room Tip: Check out the website, they all look great.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank AimeSki
GordonWorcestershire, Owner at Russell's, responded to this review, 7 August 2011
Many thanks for your great comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Russell's and hope that we can welcome you back very soon.

Barry Hancox
Proprietor
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

Booked the hotel grace of Alan 'The Bad Boy from The Barrowlands' Brazil's exhultation that 'Russell's is fantastic!'.

Very pleasant, nice rooms, quality bed, well served and thoroughly good value. The communal minibar and nespresso machine is a nice touch, although the minibar was not stocked.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
The Lygon Arms
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,274 reviews
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to Russell's? Share your experiences!