“When is a hotel not a Hotel? When it’s Russell’s Restaurant with Rooms’”
Review of Russell's

Russell's
Ranked #7 of 30 Broadway B&B and Inns
Lytham
“When is a hotel not a Hotel? When it’s Russell’s Restaurant with Rooms’”
Reviewed 2 August 2009

When is a hotel not a Hotel? When it’s Russell’s Restaurant with Rooms’
When naming ‘Russell’s Restaurant with Rooms’ they certainly did the right thing, it’s everything you would expect a hotel not to be. The seven rooms are individual, luxurious, spacious and homely, it’s a kick off your shoes and relax type feeling, where are my slippers?
The building, just like the staff, charming and full of character.
The Bar and Restaurant has a continual ‘buzz’ both at lunchtimes and evening, no need to seek out anywhere else to eat during your stay, but remember ‘book early’ as they say in the travel industry, it get’s busy. Excellent choice of both food and wine, you can taste the ‘effort’ that goes into the preparation and cooking, wonderful.
Didn’t really want to write a Report for Trip Advisor, it a secret I didn’t want to share with anyone else, Broadways’ hidden Gem of a Hotel ( no it’s not a Hotel! )

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohnLytham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hebrew first
Worcestershire
Reviewed 31 July 2009

|We have eaten at Russells on many occassions (as we live locally) and have always been impressed. The staff are helpful, polite and attentive, the restaurant has a delightful ambience and the food is quite simply delicious! Our relatives stayed here for several nights in the spring and said the experience `knocked spots' off previous stays at The Lygon Arms.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Nickanco
St Albans
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Having lived in the beautiful village of Broadway my wife and I thought it would be nice to organise a family meal one Friday afternoon.

We visited in person on the weekend, to see what Russell’s had to offer and to see if our request could be met. On arrival we were very pleased with the setting and spoke to a pleasant member of staff who was very helpful and didn’t foresee any problems, but kindly asked if we could speak to the manageress on Monday to finalise details.

Spoke to the manageress on Monday and decide never to go there again, she was rude, arrogant, unwilling to help and didn’t have one bit of customer service in her whole body. Very disappointed with the outcome and now wonder if Russell’s of Broadway are loosing business because of this horrible woman?

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jamie_St_Albans
GordonWorcestershire, Owner at Russell's, responded to this review, 17 July 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write the review. The person you spoke to on the Monday is not the manageress but our administrator, who has been at Russell's since before opening. She is mortified that you found her manner as described in the review and sends her sincere apoplogies if this were the case. Sadly, you have not had the opportunity to experience the levels of food and service we believe we offer our guests. I do hope we can get back on track again. Please give me a call if we can discuss your requirements further.
Apologies, once again
Barry Hancox
Hertfordshire, UK
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We have just spent two night at Russells in room 3. The room is very spacious and comfortable with a big bed. The air conditioning is very effective which was useful as it was quite warm during our stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food is very good. We stayed here for our first wedding anniversary and were looking forward to a special time. My recommendation would be if you value a good nights sleep do not stay in room 3. It overlooks the outside seating area of the restaurant and Budgens car park. On our first night (Saturday) the noise from the people in the restaurant did not stop until midnight and the noise then continued for another hour whilst the staff moved tables/chairs etc. and generally tidied up. To be kept awake until 1.00am when you have gone away for a quiet weekend away is far from ideal and we were not happy. Room 3 is not cheap and its all well and good that it is a nice room but surely the very least you can expect is to be able to sleep when you choose to. On the second night (Sunday) the restaurant was closed so we were looking forward to a decent nights sleep to make up for the lack of sleep on the Saturday. Unfortunately this was the night the staff had a party. We went out for dinner at another restaurant and returned just after 9.00pm. We were told the party would stop at 10.00pm which we thought was reasonable. However 10.00pm came and went and the music was still blaring out. The music did not stop until about 10.30pm and then there were still loads of people generally being noisy and the noise did not completely stop until midnight once all the furniture had been moved again and general talking going on. In summary if you are not bothered about getting to sleep before midnight then book room 3. However if you want peace and quiet avoid it like the plague. I will not be staying here again. Its fine as a restaurant but that is their priority in my opinion and they tend to forget that people are trying to sleep as well. Its a real shame because in a lot of ways I really liked this place but having got home having had two nights of less sleep than normal I feel worn out instead of relaxed and refreshed. It may be the rooms at the front of the hotel dont have such a problem although I assume the restaurant noise must affect everyone to some extent. I only put reviews on TripAdvisor if I feel very strongly one way or the other and this is only the second review I have put on here even though I stay in lots of hotels (the other review was glowing I hasten to add). I feel this is something I should share with others so you can book room 3 knowing what to expect. I hope it helps and there are no unpleasant surprises for any of you.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RuthieH
North West
Reviewed 28 April 2009

I've stayed at Russell's on business for over 14 months, have experienced most of the menu (I have the waistline to prove it!) and all of the rooms. The food is superb, the rooms very comfortable and the staff are fantastic.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank D C
notts
Reviewed 20 February 2009

My husband and I spent 17-19th Feb in room 4 at Russells to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and we couldn’t fault a single thing. The room was immaculate, very spacious and way beyond our expectations with loads of character, having sloping walls, wonky beams and feature windows, a huge comfortable bed and a large modern bathroom. All of the staff were professional, attentive and pleasant at all times and seemed to enjoy their job and the food was absolutely excellent, plenty of choice for breakfast and the evening meals were outstanding - perfectly cooked and full of flavour with an interesting and varied menu. The whole experience was perfect in every way and I would not hesitate to recommend Russells. We will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nottnic
London
Reviewed 17 February 2009

This is a charming restaurant with rooms and it lives up to its promise in every way. We enjoyed first class dining in an informal and friendly atmosphere. Our food was very good indeed - the menu offered lots of choice it was hard to choose! We stayed in a lovely spacious room and the best bit of it all was the bathroom - I would have happily stayed in there all night! My friends and I were also excited by REN toiletries in the bathroom. All and all a very enjoyable stay - we'll be back!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lola039
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
The Lygon Arms
#2 of 6 in Broadway
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to Russell's? Share your experiences!