“Perfect location for touring Cotswolds”

The Horse and Hound
Ranked #19 of 30 Broadway B&B and Inns
sheffield england
“Perfect location for touring Cotswolds”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Situated right in the middle of Broadway on the High Street. Quiet room, No. 5, very clean if a little old fashioned. Good large bathroom. Large comfortable bed. Friendly, helpful staff. Tasty food in a pleasant dining room. Plenty of free parking behind the hotel. Excellent value at £80 per night B & B.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank saxville

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I am a 'regular' at the horse and hound, as there is no where else I would stay when visiting the Cotswolds. I am not normally one to write a review but when it came into conversation that some of the reviews on here were negative I felt compelled to express my shock and confusion. The food at the horse and hound is second to none. Its is all freshly made on the premises, right down to the hand cut chips and peppercorn sauce. And you can tell. David Diane and Michael are lovely people happy to leave you to it or sit down and have a drink with you. The rooms are stunning. You only have to ask to have a look and you will realise they are far from dated. They are perfectly in touch with the Cotswolds feel. I would not, and do not, stay anywhere else!

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Lauradora85
United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Upon arrival, I was greeted by the landlord (a Northern Irish chap, who bears an uncanny resemblance to Ross Kemp) and shown to my very spacious bedroom.
It was everything I hoped for in a Cotswold pub, oldy-worldey in a very stylish and traditional way.
After a quick change, I headed down to the pub to sample their beverages (I recommend the Mad Goose!) They have plenty of largers, wine, spirits and soft drinks to choose from, as well as their 4 real ales and a very tasty local cider.
I met the landlady during dinner at the pub and had a lovely chat and was made to feel very welcome.
Speaking of dinner, I had a sumptuous duck which was cooked to perfection - here's a chef who obviously takes pride in his work!
I honestly can recommend this place enough. It ticks all the boxes and more and the husband and wife owners are the nicest couple I have had the fortune to meet. I've already booked my next stay with them!
Make sure u try it for yourself!

• Stayed June 2011
Reading
Reviewed 5 June 2011

The hotel, room and food were exactly what you would want for a weekend break, beautiful room excellent service food superb all in all very good value for money. The whole of the Broadway and the rest of the Cotswolds right on your doorstep.

Room Tip: We used laterooms.com to book
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We were made to feel very welcome and the food was excellent compared to the crown and trumpet. We examined the rooms which were typical country English style (room 4) as sister in law staying here. They loved the place and will be back. We wish we had booked here instead of the worst pub in Broadway.!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2011

We only stayed here because the other hotels in Broadway were full. Upon arrival we walked into the bar to be greeted by the owners eating their lunch at the bar. They looked at us as if we were intruding upon them and the male owner showed us to our room but the female owner hardly gave us the time of day. Room ok but a bit dated. Had a drink in their bar before going out to eat at the local Indian restaurant as could not bear to eat in the restaurant as the atmosphere is unbearable. Came down the next morning for breakfast and sat and chatted to two American ladies who had been staying there all week and felt sorry for them and hoped they did not think this was normal British hospitality. Breakfast was ok and toast was thrown at us by the female owner who never smiled all of the time we were there. When we came to check out I handed the female owner the keys and she looked at me as though I had been in the way from start to finish of our stay. Would never stay here again, which is a shame because the village is beautiful and the Indian restaurant in the village is superb. Don't know why people who cannot be bothered to make people welcome own a place like this. Such a shame.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank samantha016

Travellers are raving about these Broadway hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2010

We stopped here for a drink after walking ten miles from Chipping Camden. The barman was very surly and made us feel as if he was doing us a favour pouring drinks for us.
The decor was shabby and the tables dirty so we decided not to order food.
We needed to order a taxi back in about 45 minutes and asked him if he could order one for us. He pushed a scrap of paper towards us with a list of taxi firms on it for us to ring.
Knowing that we were waiting for a taxi he let us order another drink and sat down again only to be told "We are closing in fifteen minutes". We had to rush our drinks and then hang about outside to wait for our taxi in the cold.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple