“Something extra”

Ranked #6 of 39 Restaurants in Broadway
Price range: US$22 - US$39
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Relaxed, Stylish Dining Room serving modern British food at lunch and dinner time using the best of local ingredients. With seven individually designed bedrooms within the same building. All with en-suite bathrooms, luxury bed linen and air conditioning. Flat screen televisions, broadband internet access and original architectural features all combine to create a supremely comfortable experience. A full English breakfast is included.
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Friendly service food was a cut above the average and nicely arranged on the plate. A happy evening out.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

First visit to Broadway, pretty place with many pubs and restaurants to choose from. Having walked up and down looking at all the menus we chose Russell's. I think that it is usually a warning sign when you walk into a virtually empty restaurant (although to be fair it was early) only to be asked if you've booked! Anyway, we had the set £16.50 menu which was very limited in its choices. I had carrot and cumin soup and my wife had cured salmon, mains taken were plaice and shoulder of lamb. It was nice ok, but my lamb was dry which is quite hard for shoulder, and tiny with one small fondant potato. Presentation was good, bread rather twee with a tomato butter and a kind of tapenade which needed anchovy. With two glasses of Merlot and a bottle of mineral water the bill was £55 including an added 10% (my addition, there is no 'optional' service which was nice to see) so not expensive. The staff are young, attractive and pleasant, quite a few for not so many customers. Judging by other reviews which say it's great, we thought it was ok. As we are staying local, and eating out every day we shall see if we were hasty or not.

1  Thank abpg53
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We dined here on a Saturday, I had soup, sea trout and my wife had rump steak, For dessert we had the three cheese board and the apple soufflé. For drinks we had a local ale and bottle of Peroni and a bottle of Merlot, In total this came to £94, which to my mInd was good value! The food was delicious and the place has a great ambience. Staff were friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. Thank you Russell's!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We arrived at 6.30pm and we were on our own. We got the best table by the window and began to worry for the staff seeing as they outnumbered us 3 to 1. We should not have worried. My starter of local tomatoes with cheese sauce and celeriac jelly was top notch, a real exposition of how to use locally grown produce. My wife had cured salmon that inspired me to try home curing myself. My main of salmon was cooked to perfection, the skin crispy, the inner meat meltingly fishy. My wife's pork loin medallions were 'very tasty' - she loved the contrast of the sweet soft pork with the mild warmth of the bombay spuds.. To finish we had English cheese (the best in the world bar none) accompanied with some port (by now my notes were difficult to read) and some Californian Muscat.
What I liked about this place is that they produce good food without that much pretension. What I really liked is that the wine list has several good wines under £20. The staff are more good-natured and willing than knowledgable (the manager stepping in to answer some of my questions) but this was one of the best value meals me 'n' the Mrs have had for some time.
Well done, Russell's.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Having read the previous reviews, I must admit I ignored the bad write ups and thought they were in the minority. Unfortunately, as has been stated previously, the service was dreadful. We waited an hour for our main meal and were fobbed off that it was because they were busy, Other diners that came after us had their meals promptly, so being busy had no baring on our really long wait. The food was fine but certainly not worth the exceeding long wait.

2  Thank Sue037