“lovely location, shame about the service”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Evesham
Riverside Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Evesham
Leeds, United Kingdom
“lovely location, shame about the service”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel has a lovely rural location, overlooking a river. I had very high hopes for the hotel after looking at the pictures online.
The place is a bit of a shambles, poor service at the bar and despite taking bookings for weddings they no longer have a licence to hold them in the hotel, unfortunately leaving it far to late to tell the poor couples that have pre booked this hotel for their ceremonies. .
I recently visited as part of a wedding party, external caters refused to use the hotel kitchen as they deemed the kitchens to dirty to prepare food in. It really is a shame, this place has all the potential to be a great place to stay, but is being left to rot and ruin.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank ukbreakscouple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Booked this without checking the reviews, then read them, and wondered what I had let myself in for!
PLUSES:
1. The room was fantastic: beautiful view over the river, big comfortable bed, well decorated, and quiet.
2. Restaurant was closed but they rustled me up a genuinely home-made pork curry - just magical.
3. Sold me the best part of a bottle of red wine for £6!
4. Staff all very friendly and helpful.
DOWNSIDES
1. Very run down in places and in desperate need of some money spending on it.
2. A long way out of town so useless as a base if, like me, you came on the train,
3. Obviously very short of cash - as I was leaving the guy delivering drinks was insisting on COD or he would take them away again, and no-one seemed to have any way of paying him.
4. Fine on a hot summer day; I'd be less confident if it were cold and raining - don't think the windows and doors fit that well.

Overall, as other reviewers have found, very hit and miss!

Room Tip: Room 2 great for 1 or 2 people.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Steve W
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

we had a lovely time on our short stay. our room had everything we expected and a lovely view of the river, the 2 ladies that were running the hotel were helpful and couldn't do enough for us despite being rushed off their feet. originally we had booked for 2 nights but decided to stay an extra night because there is so much to do in the area. the breakfast was tasty and the bar well stocked. would definitely stay again if ever in the area.

4 Thank john_chris21
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

we stayed for 3 nights in apple cottage, i couldnt fault our room, was very clean and bed was comfortable. its was a little chilly when we first entered but the remote controlled fire place soon warmed the place quickly, it was a nice touch actually and gave it a romantic feel, the hotel in general had a cosy feel, yes there is a few knooks and crannys but it is a very old building, it has a lot of charm and the surrounding countryside and beautiful walks are perfect for a weekend getaway. perfect as we have two doggies :-) fantasic break

1 Thank LaurenP4
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This place is an absolute gem! We loved it. We wanted a break that would allow us to rest and recharge our batteries after getting married the week before and the tranquil surroundings were just what we needed. During our three night stay there we saw, from our window, a fawn deer, a fox, Canada geese, ducks, a heron and rabbits. The outside seating provides great views of the river and surrounding countryside, as do many of the rooms.

We experienced a level of personal attention that we have never found anywhere else. Everything was very clean and tidy and there is a wonderful "quirkieness" about the place and a lived-in feel, with lots of character, that you either love or hate, and we loved it. Yes, some of the outside seating areas need a little TLC, but make no mistake, this is a fabulous place to stay if you're looking for somewhere that is friendly and relaxed. This is not a "corporate" hotel, as in one of the major chains, where so much is impersonal and standardised. The Riverside is run by Debbie and her staff, who were always willing to take time out of their very busy day to stop and talk to you or even share a drink with customers at the end of the day. One evening we asked them if they could provide us with a meal that wasn't on the menu and they were very happy to do so (and it was delicious!).

We found the hotel with no trouble at all and didn't want to leave. We hope to return (this time with friends!) again in the near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay window overlooking the river. The penthouse is fanatastic with an upper and lower fl...
3 Thank Jan A
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night on 10 December. We arrived at the hotel and parked on a scrap of land called 'the car park'. After avoiding the pot holes we found the entrance door which led into an attractive hallway. Then just 'followed our noses' and went down the stairs into a lounge area. There was no indication where we should go, the place was deserted and there was no sound from anywhere. After further investigation we found a woman in the kitchen who said she thought we would have been arriving at 12!!?? She led the way to the reception desk which doubled up as the bar and checked us in and gave us our room key - room 4. Our room was on the ground floor. First impressions was that it was large room with a beautiful bay window overlooking the river. We settled in and my husband went in search of someone to give us some fresh milk. He found the same woman that checked us in sitting in the lounge area eating a large plate of sausage and chips. We made a cup of tea and sat on the window seat in the bay window admiring the view. I realised that I hadn't brought a hair dryer with me so went to find the person who checked us in. She was quite scruffily dressed - not how you would expect a member of staff would dress. I found her sitting outside the hotel smoking. I asked if I could have a hairdryer and she appeared quite vacant. She had me follow her to a number of rooms searching for a hairdryer without success. She said she would search other rooms - I returned to my room. After several minutes I heard her shout 'Hello, I can't find any hairdryers'. I went to the door and thanked her for looking. I felt that there was no welcome to the hotel - in fact I felt a bit of a nuisance. She returned to her cigarettes where I found her - we could see her from our window. The room was quite shabby, there were no extra pillows or blankets, no information about the hotel eg meal times, check out times, bar opening times. The bathroom was small with quite a large Jacuzzi bath that didn't work, one bath towel each and only one hand towel. There was no bath mat to step out of the bath onto and the bathroom was carpeted which is extremely unhygienic. We did find there was plenty of hot water. The bed wasn't particularly comfortable and does need replacing. Breakfast was interesting. We were 'met' in the restaurant by a waitress who didn't acknowledge us and just walked off to the kitchen. A man appeared who was very polite and welcoming giving us information about breakfast. I found the orange juice disgusting as was my tea and my husbands coffee. We ordered breakfast which when it came looked liked something you might be served in a 'greasy spoon'! It was not at all well presented, everything piled on top of toast. We were eager to leave and find a Costa for a decent drink. On checking out we met the owner who explained that the hotel had been leased and that this person had 'just left' and she had been left to pick up the pieces. She was currently experiencing personal emotional difficulties and wasn't sure what to do with the hotel. I would advise a quick decision as the hotel needs total refurbishment and good staff training or demolishing as the hotel is attracting some pretty negative reviews. I would not return in it's present state.

8 Thank Carole M
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We booked to stay at this hotel last summer, as we were visiting family nearby. The website was brilliant, and we had high expectations to begin with. When we first arrived at the hotel, it was early evening, we parked and then began trying to find the entrance. It took a good 45 minutes before we even found anyone to speak to! There was no one anywhere to be seen, we wondered around aimlessly, not even coming into contact with any other guests, let alone a member of staff! Eventually we found a young man, who uttered an excuse about everyone having a meeting upstairs. He looked about 12 years old and seemed to have no clue what he was doing. He showed us to our rooms, which were right up in the eves of the building. The stairs were steep, and lights in the halls weren't working, making it almost impossible to see where we were going as we were losing daylight- very dangerous! The rooms had no locks on the doors, and were much to small for the gigantic beds they had tried to squeeze in! On the website, they had advertised plasma screen tv's in all of the rooms, and in one this was the case, however it was much to big for the room, taking up most of the wall! The other room had a dusty old box tv on a too small table in the corner. Rather than having en suite bathrooms, we had one to share, and there was a used ear bud in the floor next to the bin! Everything was dusty, the wallpaper was peeling off the walls, and in one of the rooms there was a dirty glass with lipstick stains on the rim left on the bedside table! Absolutely disgusting! We didn't end up staying and went to find a premier inn nearby instead, which was much nicer! I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anybody!

• Stayed August 2013
8 Thank Paigeandrews
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evesham
Evesham Hotel
The Abbey Hotel
The Abbey Hotel
#5 of 10 in Malvern
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,119 reviews

Been to Riverside Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!