“My Birthday Party Weekend”
Review of Evesham Hotel

Evesham Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Evesham
Reviewed 24 June 2014

23 Adults, a 4 yr old, 8 yr old and a 9 year old plus a baby and a Dog stayed in 11 rooms. 6 of the Adults were disabled, 1 recovering from hip surgery, 1 with a false leg. ( No I'm not making it up). We had a brilliant time. Nothing absolutely Nothing was too much trouble. Everyone loved the Hotel. Katie the events Manager, endured loads of e mails. Chef recommended an A la Carte Menu, didn't mind when I changed it last minute. We had A la Carte 3 course for the children. Even the dog was pampered with a blanket, treats and a bowl. The food was delicious. We were allowed to,play games, and not chucked out when we checked out. The bar staff never complained. All the staff were cheery, welcoming and professional. We asked for advice on the wines and they gave it. It is brilliant. Great fun. Even had a child listening and babysitting service. Nothing is overlooked and they went way beyond our expectations. Even thanking us for being a great family. Absolute gem of a place.

2  Thank JillyRussell
EveshamHotel, General Manager at Evesham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, its great to hear you and your family had a lovely time celebrating your birthday. I'm pleased the children enjoyed their stay too with the toys and facilities and that your dog liked her blanket and treats!
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

A delightfully quirky, quintessentially English hotel. Staying at The Evesham is a bit like staying at an eccentric relative's house. The jokes on the loo walls might not be to everyone's taste but I think they are part of the hotel's charm. In short, it is the antithesis of a corporate, city hotel.
The hotel is stuffed to the gills with books, board games & of course, teddy bears! With a pool, lovely gardens, table tennis, croquet lawn, putt & pitch golf & table football, there is plenty to keep everyone in the family occupied. It is also a dog friendly hotel.
The themed rooms, whilst not exactly bang up to date (there was a VCR in our room!), are very comfortable & very clean. It was nice to have proper hand wash, fresh milk & comfy chairs. My only criticism is that our bed (in room 39) was very high & the mattress was very hard. I struggled to get in & out of bed & I am a fit & healthy 31 year old. I'm not sure how an older or disabled person would fare.
The food is traditional & the evening menu is slightly limited. I think I would get bored if I was staying for a week! That said there are plenty of restaurants nearby. Breakfast is much much better though, the food is fantastic & the choice is outstanding.
I should also note that I was slightly disappointed by the tea, I drink leaf tea at home & I take it fairly strong, however the tea served to me at The Evesham was strong to the point of being bitter & undrinkable. I wonder if it is being allowed to brew for too long before being served?
The hotel is well located, close to local amenities & tourist attractions. It is easy to find as the town of Evesham is very well sign posted from the M42. The hotel has a good sized car park & there is also a train station nearby. If I was staying in the area again I would definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 39 if you have mobility issues. The bed is very high!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay including some of the hotels quirks! Regarding the menu, our a la carte dinner menu changes daily to offer guests a wide variety if staying with us for a length of time.
I am sorry for the issue you experienced with the tea and am investigating this with the restaurant team.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I love this hotel. This is my 2nd visit here with the family. I have never been to any other hotel that has so many lovely touches. It has a wonderful fun and family feel to it. Some of the reviews say the rooms are tired. It's true, they are but then this is a 3* hotel, so I am not sure what they expected. You come to the Evesham for a truly relaxing, quintesentially English hotel stay. If you are lucky enough, which we have been on both occasions... the garden at the Evesham Hotel is divine, truly. I sat here all day today with amazing table service, soaking up the sun and listening to the birds. This hotel is what I would call, "home from home". Relaxed, lovely service, twee, lovely clientelle and homely. If you know this hotel, you will know all about the bears.... :) I love them!!! I wouldn't suggest this hotel for young groups but definitely perfect for families and people who love down to earth, family friendly and homely.

4  Thank TheReviewGeek
EveshamHotel, General Manager at Evesham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent visit to the hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our relaxed, home from home experience and had chance to enjoy our beautiful gardens.
We hope to welcome you back again for your third visit!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights and it was booked through my company. Arrival was fine although I did email them in advance to let me know the latest check in time and they never responded. A warm welcome from the receptionist, short and sweet check in. Room was very tired indeed, pine furniture that was well past it best, but to say it was in keeping with the rest of the hotel is a fair comment, and the bed was comfortable. I have to say that the room was serviced very well by the hotel staff top marks for that. The door key arrangement is not to everyone's liking but expresses the owners interesting spin on the hotel. It is a largish teddy bear attached to the room key. Not the most savoury of smells emanating from the bear and I am sure it could tell a few stories. Breakfast was average some mornings but fell short on others. A large array of cereals, but some were so rarely used and were stuck together and the boxes are really well worn! I had haddock with poached egg and bread and butter one morning, fish was OK, poached egg stone cold and the bread had been left under the kitchen pass so the butter was melted and bread curled up, when mentioned this to the waitress, she asked did I want it more crispy!!! Last day I had kipper and mushrooms, kipper was boil in the bag yuk, and the mushrooms were not cooked. I left it all and the waitress when she collected the plate asked was everything OK, I said obviously not, she did the mandatory apology walked away and I never got a replacement. When settling the bill, I challenged an entry and the lady on reception appeared affronted by the challenge. She then explained that the person entering it had entered the wrong item, that was all that needed to be said, not get all protective about it. I scored this hotel as average, but when I am next in Evesham this would not be my first choice of hotel.

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the car park, ok but if you have your windows open people congregate under...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Skippy2708

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and I am very sorry to hear about your negative experiences. We have taken your comments seriously and will address these with the relevant departments however if you would like to discuss the issues further, please do not hesitate to contact me direct.
David Field, General Manager

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 1 night stay, not sure what to expect after reading some of the reviews but can honestly say we were blown away. ..staff so accommodating even when our group took over the bar they immediately moved chairs around to get us all together, food excellent & owner a great guy- even let is have a go in his C5. Our room was lovely, had everything in it & more, loved the bottle of milk in the fridge wish more hotels provided this. We will definitely stay again if in that area. As for the negative reviews, ignore them! It's refreshing to come across a bit of individuality & personality once on a while. As for our breakfast in bed - 1st class, best we've ever had! Thanks for an entertaining morning, meeting the asparagus fairy will be remembered!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Helen L

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay and managed to try out our C5 and meet our own Asparagus fairy!
We hopefully look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Reviewing only the restaurant where I had lunch.
Reception person was very friendly and relaxed when we checked in for the reservation made earlier in the day. The bar area was somewhat cramped with just 4 other people ordering drinks but it gave a chance to try the home made bar nibbles. They were pretty good although I did not have too much as I wanted to enjoy the lunch. The draught bitter was very nice but served slightly warm. Bitter should not be cold like lager but should have been cooler. The white wine asked for by name was served and this too proved to be a good quality and served chilled as it should be. Note that my slight down grade for the overall rating is based only on the bar facility and the not too cold beer.
Now to lunch. This proved to be of a buffet style with a choice of cold fish, poached salmon and smoked mackerel with all kinds of salads to go with them as well as the sauces. Meat choices were pork, ham, beef and hot sausages. Cold accompaniments were plentiful and varied as were the new potatoes. The side dishes were too numerous to name them all but mushrooms in a sauce, rice, tomatoes, beetroot were included. All in all a really nice buffet. One was expected to visit the buffet twice so I made my choices into a fish course and a meat course. Lovely bread and butter was also available. If you would like soup or some other starter they are also available and the same for the desserts but at additional cost.
Value for money was the first thing that springs to mind as the amount one could have was generous as too was the quality of the food as a whole. For the record this buffet was £11.75 per person. There is nowhere that a two course meal is available of such quality and at such a reasonable price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hombre74
EveshamHotel, General Manager at Evesham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent visit for lunch,
We are pleased you enjoyed our famous buffet lunch and take your other comments on board to help us improve our service.
Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back for another visit.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

This place is a real gem. Having moved to Charlton Village in January, it's ironic my parents were visiting this hotel with a classic car club from Sussex ! I was invited as a guest for dinner at the hotel and was blown away by the excellent quality of the food and professionalism of the hotel manager and his team. The private dining room is so romantic, it's in a french style and would be perfect for a small wedding or a small party. The other receptions rooms are stunning, one of them decorated in an orangery/chinoiserie style and the sofas are deep and luscious. I can't comment on the hotel bedrooms but the downstairs is very beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SeagreenTangerine
EveshamHotel, General Manager at Evesham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for reviewing the hotel following your recent visit for dinner. I am very pleased you enjoyed your meal and experience of the hotel and we hope your parents did also.
Thank you again for your lovely comments and hope to welcome you again for your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Evesham
The Wood Norton Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pershore
The Fish Hotel
The Fish Hotel
#4 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Evesham Hotel? Share your experiences!