“Excellent beginning and middle, disappointing end.”

The Wood Norton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Evesham
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We booked rooms at this hotel, for a reunion of friends, on a Dinner Bed & Breakfast package. We had rooms in the main building (top floor-2nd floor with a lot of stairs and corridors- there was however,a lift). The rooms were large (plenty of room for armchairs etc) and modern with King-sized beds and wonderfully comfortable quilts and pillows. The bathrooms were well planned and maintained. The room was very modern and minimalist in contrast to the sumptuous carving in the rest of the hotel. The public rooms also have an interesting contrast of the modern and the traditional- rather a surprise after the French Chateau feel of the architecture, both indoors and out.

The staff, who appear to be well trained and experienced with a mix of local and European accents, made the stay an enjoyable experience as they willingly and cheerfully did even more than was asked of them (not as common as you would think). Our package included a cream tea, and the ladies are still praising the lightness and quality of the homemade scones.

We had dinner in the restaurant although some guests were dining in the bar and lounge with a little less formality. The three course Dinner menu is a little under £40 a head and the meal is certainly an occasion. The service was, again, excellent and the food imaginative and well presented. One, relatively minor, criticism: several of our party had the Lamb, which carried a £7.50 supplement, and were shocked to find that the portion of, admittedly excellent, lamb fillet was the size of a small kidney; vegetables were extra! It is a shame because the dinner was, otherwise, excellent. The wine list is large and varied, including inexpensive house wines at £20 a bottle and bottles costing more than £100.

Breakfast the next morning was also a little disappointing. I think that the hotel had attendees at the next door BBC Conference Centre staying and we got down to the dining room to find it as noisy as parliament at Question time! My wife, not a cooked breakfast fan, was disappointed with the buffet. Fresh fruit was advertised, but the selection was limited to 2 oranges, 1 apple and 2 small bunches of grapes. No bowls of prepared fruit (melon, Oranges, Prunes, Grapefruit etc that are the normal fare in such establishments). In short, if one didn't want a cooked breakfast the alternative was scarce and unimaginative. On the positive side the cooked breakfast was served on hot plates (not as common as you would think) and composed of freshly cooked and (with the exception of my tough and fatty back bacon) quality ingredients; although they did forget my black pudding - quelle horreur!. The Breakfast Maitre'D kept his eye on things and the and the service was again good, but the cattle market atmosphere and poor buffet was a sad end to an, otherwise, excellent stay.

Room Tip: Our main building rooms were excellent value and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Devon_Laddo

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Very very disappointing. After arriving weren't even offered our cream teas. We booked a table for 7.30 but our reservation had got lost so didn't eat until 9.30! The staff seemed stressed , unhappy and not at all organised. It took ages for our drinks to come after waiting for them to take our order. The food was very different and I think portion control was definitely adhered to. Breakfast was okay the only problem being as a group of four not one of us had the same full breakfast and again portion control we weren't allowed to help ourselves to sauces they had to be put on our plates for us! However, the young lady on reception could not have been anymore helpful and she actually smiled. I would suggest you look after her.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed at the Wood Norton for one night on Feb 16th with the winter sparkling deal. As you drive up to the hotel, it does look quite spectacular, then you drive up the hill to park your car and see 2 derelict buildings, littered with debris which I assumed is the BBC part! If you can park outside the hotel, this wouldn’t have been noticed. You would just see the lovely gardens, outside seating area, and games with a huge swing with ‘a view’. You can see why people would want to hold their wedding there for lovely photos! Not a good start though as yes, we were 20mins before check in, but was told very curtly, before even speaking that ‘the rooms aren’t ready so you can take a seat’ - we asked how long for – the response was another curt ‘half an hour’! Thankfully when we did check in our room was in the main hall in a lovely temperature controlled room, with great views of the front gardens and beyond. The room was spacious, with a very large bed, and clean bathroom. There is a snooker room, so we decided to get a drink and play a few games. The bar area was nice and modern, with cosy areas to relax & read the free papers. The barman barely acknowledged me & left me standing there for a time, even though I was the only one at the bar! We ate in the restaurant, which had a nice romantic feel; this time the service was exceptional & friendly! We had 5 courses of fine dining; each course was exquisite. Some of the choices were pigeon, rabbit, foie gras, which is not to everyone’s taste, but very delicious. Even though the hotel is near a main road, we didn’t hear a thing all night. The bed was very cosy with a vigorous rainforest shower to shake the cockles away! Then there was breakfast, which was delicious, but we were given the wrong order; two other tables were also served the wrong breakfast! I asked for more toast, this didn’t come, so I asked again, and this time with more tea, which arrived very quickly, but they took the milk away & didn’t replace it. I didn’t want to make a fuss so I took some milk from the drinks area and was quickly asked by a male member of staff ‘what do you need now’! That was pretty embarrassing as I had only reminded him about the toast & nicely too!! I wanted a new cup, but didn’t want to risk another tongue lashing, so just took one from another table! Was all a bit of a farce really! We did have a lovely time though and the evening meal in the restaurant was the deal breaker.

2  Thank Julie128
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Hubby and I stayed for our wedding anniversary last year. The grounds were quite nice, but spoilt by the works going on (no fault of the hotel of course). Our room was in the section with old BBC photos which I found really interesting. They were a quirky addition to decor in our room, but otherwise we thought the environment was quite basic and plain. Having said that, we didn't want to ask if there were other rooms available in the main hotel to upgrade to, because we didn't find the wood panelling that inspiring. We didn't want to pay extra to look at it constantly, and so stayed where we were. We found the parking to be no problem. They have some lawn games, and we tried out the massive swing on the grounds - lots of fun!

The best part of the trip was the service in the dining room. I wish I could remember the name of the gentleman who seemed to be in charge of the waiting staff, and also served himself (tall, slim, young - I hope you can be identified for a pat on the back!). He served us almost every night I think, and was always really polite, friendly and helpful. Always happily answered our questions about the menu, always greeted us politely, seemed to remember our preferences of toast, hot drink choice, etc.at breakfast time and seemed to organise the waiting staff in a way that wasn't overbearing. The waitresses were all great too. A fine dining menu every evening for our four night stay was a bit much for us I think! It was good on one hand to try lots of dishes we were unlikely to try otherwise (i.e. lots of unusual game birds, etc.), but I think it would've been great to have some tasty dishes with more popular meats and fishes too (i.e. chicken, etc.).

In general we're unlikely to return overall, but we have no regrets with our trip.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank royalpriestess
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The stayed at the Wood Norton overnight, and felt it had a relaxing feel to it. The interior of the public rooms are very impressive, the rooms were furnished comfortably but not extravagant.

We had an issue with the bathroom in our room in the main house, but once we notified reception we were straight away moved and given an upgrade which was good.

We really enjoyed our dining experience, the atmosphere was pretty quiet, though we noted the brilliant contemporary music they were playing (which is quite subjective I know). Breakfast was equally as good.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and relaxed more relaxed then when we arrived!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank megan2391
Craig W, General Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear megan2391

Thank you so much for your positive comments. I was just looking at the pictures that you posted and can surmise that you must have stayed around February 2013? You must come back and visit again soon to see what changes we have made since then.

Kind Regards
Craig Webb

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Went here for my husband's birthday and although he knew the area we were going to he did not know the hotel and somehow I managed to keep it a secret. He was very impressed as we entered the driveway of this lovely hotel. What an impressive building that has a fascinating history. We were booked into an Executive Room in the main building and I was amazed at how big it was. One of the biggest hotel rooms I have ever had. Walked in the door into a hallway with the bathroom on the right hand side and the bedroom on the left hand side. The bedroom had a very large bed, sofa, table and chairs and desk and the bathroom was a good size as well. We had dinner both nights in the hotel and I cannot rate this highly enough. I have to make special mention of our waiter, Tim, who was so attentive and friendly and could not have done more for us over the two evening meals and breakfast. Depending on the menu when you go I can definitely recommend the goats cheese/beetroot starter and the banoffee dessert - not like any other banoffee dessert I have had but had it both nights it was that good!

Room Tip: I would go for the Executive Rooms in the main building. Our room far outweighed my expectations. Ve...
2  Thank RuthieH

Dear RuthieH

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and leave us your positive comments. I know the kitchen will be most encouraged by your praise of the food and Tim was very happy to be mentioned by name for his customer care skills.

Thanks again
Craig Webb

Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a two night stay at the Wood Norton for Valentines Day/10th Wedding Anniversary. We had a room in the Pear Tree Mews which was spacious and well appointed. We had a fantastic 5 course meal on Valentine's Day, the staff were extremely friendly and polite and made us very welcome. The food was amazing and the service was excellent, attentive and personable. The second night we joined the dinner dance and the hotel arranged a separate menu for those of us who had eaten in the restaurant the evening before. The rose water and champagne sorbet was a delight. We didn't want the weekend to end and will definitely visit again.

2  Thank AHL74
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evesham
Evesham Hotel
#4 of 6 in Broadway
The Angel Hotel
The Angel Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pershore

Been to The Wood Norton Hotel? Share your experiences!