“DON'T STAY IN ROOM 301”

The Wood Norton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Evesham
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have special requirements when we travel because my wife is in a wheelchair. We were given Room 301, which was large and spacious with a separate living room and bedroom. The bathroom was excellent, fully adapted for wheelchair use. But it was in a separate building from the main hotel called Pear Tree Mews which was 100 yards up a steep hill from the main buildings. It was possible, though with difficulty, to take the car up to this building, but the nearest parking was at the bottom of the hill. Who would put a wheelchair accessible room in a position where you had to push the chair 100 yards uphill?

But there was worse. The room adjoined a very noisy machinery room, and just outside the window were the air conditioning fans. It was like trying to sleep in an old noisy jet aircraft, or in a factory.

The old mansion house is a delight, with wood-panelling everywhere. Dinner was good; I didn't mind that it was expensive, but at £39.50 it seems mean to add on a supplement for lamb or for vegetables. Service was friendly and professional.

Breakfast on Sunday was one of those awful buffets with cold bacon and with fried eggs pre-cooked, all self-served on to cold plates. We were expecting the same on Monday morning, but this breakfast was done properly - freshly cooked to order and served well.

So, while we loved the main building and the gardens, and the staff were excellent, there were disappointments.

Room Tip: Don't choose 301 if you dislike 24-hour machinery.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UKPeripatetic
WoodNortonGM, Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you very much for your review.
I am so sorry to hear of the issues you were faced with during your stay with us, I would have welcomed the opportunity to put them right during your stay.
I will be looking into all the items you have raised, feedback is a vital component in improving our service.
Thank you for your kind comments about the team, I will pass onto the staff.
Please feel free to contact me at gm@thewoodnorton.com if you wish to discuss your stay further.
Thank you once again.

There are newer reviews for The Wood Norton Hotel

Reviewed 9 June 2014

had a lovely over night stay at this hotel and would recommend it to our family and friends,the only thing I can fault is when we went for breakfast the plates were cold and made our breakfast go cold quickly apart from that excellent should be 5 star

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
WoodNortonGM, Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and i hope we can welcome you back sometime in the future. Thank you for your comments about the plates, i will pass this on to the Chef.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I've honestly never stayed at a hotel with this high a level of service. The gentleman who handles breakfast (I believe his name is Paul) went above and beyond to make our stay fantastic and refused to accept any tip in exchange. The next night, the restaurant and bar had closed, my friends and I were in for the night, and I was starving. I called down to the front desk and the night attendant (I believe his name was David), offered to go down to the kitchen and make me a roast beef sandwich and a salad. He brought it up to my room, and the hotel didn't even charge me for it! I will absolutely stay here every single time I'm in the area, and I highly recommend anyone else does. This is a hotel that lives and breathes customer service, and in a world where so many businesses take their customers for granted, it was a treat to stay with them.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Steven S, General Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Anusha D,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on TripAdvisor. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that Paul, David and the rest of my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Booked the Romance Package: this included a very nice flower arrangement in the room, real champagne, albeit of a cheaper variety, and petit four type sweets, although some proper chocolates would have been preferable. We were made to feel very welcome by staff, but I do object to being greeted in a place at this cost by "Are you all right?"

In the Dorothee Room, Duchesse d'Orleans. A medium/ large wood panelled room, with an enormous bathroom with shower and bath: a magnificent view of the gardens and the countryside in the distance. We were very happy with the room, apart for the wifi, which was fairly hopeless, intermittent and not fast: in the end I had to go into the hallway to get a decent signal.

The building is very interesting, with wood paneling everywhere and interesting hall and stairs.

Dinner was a five course one of very high quality, but if it were not for the (excellent) rolls, we would have been left hungry. Two of the courses consisted of an 'amuse bouche' and a sorbet: none of the others were very large. We tried both the turbot and sea bream, both excellent tasting fish. Frankly, if you want a full meal, you might be better off with the bar menu, which some of us tried the second night. However, again staff were exceptionally friendly and helped with everything they could.

Breakfast was good, a hot buffet, with porridge on request and (at extra charge, although we were not told this) very good kippers and haddock

For places to visit, have a look at Pershore, a lovely town and the Abbey, also the carved tree in the grounds.

We would stay at this hotel again if in the area.

Room Tip: Ask about what the view is like and whether there will be any noise.
1  Thank AlbertSolihull

Thank you very much for your review and the comments you made.
We are a listed building and some of the infrastructure does not lend itself very well to getting good wifi signal or telephone signal for that matter. That is one of the challenges of an historic building in the countryside.
We are undergoing a review of our whole food offering from top to bottom and will hopefully make advances, and i thank you for your feedback.
Thank you once again for your review, and i hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

A warm welcome, a lovely building, excellent dinner in the bar and breakfast. Staff were very friendly and they coped with a local power outage for over an hour in the morning really well.

So why only 4 stars? Room 107 looked like everything we wanted - large room, huge bathroom, lovely bed, all very comfortable. However, we soon experienced 2 problems. Firstly, nearby there is an emergency exit with 2 doors which both banged loudly every time that housekeeping staff walked through - although a quick response after a chat at reception helped to reduce that. More significant though was the very loud noise from the 2 large air con outlets located above the bathroom which ran til late and started again at 5.40am.

Following our check-out we got an email within 24 hours, from Wood Norton saying if you have had any problems please do contact us before you post reviews so that we can respond. What a good idea we thought, so we replied with the comments above straight away. A week later we are still waiting for a reply!

Room Tip: 107 is a lovely room if you aren't sensitive to noise
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I am very sorry you have a few issues during your stay with us. Unfortunately also we do not have any recollection of an email from yourselves. Perhaps you would be kind enough to resend it to me direct at gm@thewoodnorton.com
Thank you once again.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My partner took me to the Wood Norton as a surprise last weekend. Gorgeous building which continued when we got inside. Booking in we were warmly welcomed and it was lovely to have the offer of taking our bags to our room.
Once we got to the room in the annexe of the building we found it to be lovely with everything we needed.
Afternoon tea had been prebooked and this was delicious, by far the best homemade scones I've eaten for years!
As it was a warm evening we sat outside for a drink and watching a hot air balloon take off from the field opposite was nice to see.
We opted for the late dinner sitting, dining room was nice and the food was superb. It's a rarity for me to clear my plate but this time I ate every bit of my 5 courses.
We challenged the bar with an unusual Tom Collins cocktail, along with a mojito and cosmopolitan and they did great jobs of them all.
Special thanks to all the staff who looked after us so well, I was proposed to over dinner and all of them congratulated us. It was a pleasure to have stayed in such a lovely place with a great team working there.
The only negative I found was, as the last reviewer also put, a full length mirror was missing in the room.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Claire H

Dear Claire H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind comments on TripAdvisor. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team are thrilled you had a great stay. We are delighted you enjoyed the fantastic food and beverage offerings here at The Wood Norton and a huge congratulations to you both on your engagement from all the team.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

2 excellent days at the hotel. The staff were very courteous and attentive during our stay and could not do enough to assist. The food was outstanding. We stayed in a Pear Tree rooms (old stable block) which was very comfortable with a huge bed. My only issue was the lack of a full length mirror in the room (operations manager please note) The main building was full of character and the gardens are beautiful. An excellent location for exploring the Cotswolds. I would recommend bourton on the water and lower slaughter. Congratulations to the staff.

1  Thank yattonis

Dear Yattoins,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on TripAdvisor. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your two days with us in Pear Tree Mews.

Steven

Also consider these accommodations in or near Evesham
Evesham Hotel
#5 of 11 in Evesham
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#6 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Wood Norton Hotel? Share your experiences!