“High a level of service in beautiful grounds.”

The Wood Norton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Evesham
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Rest assure that this hotel has both a high a level of service & is set in beautiful grounds. The views are breath taking.

We stayed just one night for a romantic break in The Pear Tree Mews, and were able to completely unwind and relax. Total escape!

The hotel is really unusual, its history is very rich and the place is being lovingly restored. The one criticism I have is that the BBC training centre is omitted from all the information - so when we got there it was a little bit of a surprise to find that on the grounds. That said the gardens which have been created by English Heritage are gorgeous.

During our stay we took advantage of the 5 course tasting menu which was wonderful. A real treat to try so many new things, and it was all delicious. I particularly liked that all the dishes were very seasonal and creative. Breakfast was also delicious, it was all freshly made and the staff were happy to accommodate any requests.

This is a hotel that clearly lives and breathes great customer service, it was a treat to stay with them. All the staff we encountered were polite, courteous and nothing was too much trouble.

I would happily stay here again and would highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
WoodNortonGM, Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team, and hope to welcome you back at some point in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Wood Norton Hotel

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We booked a night on a special deal which included dinner, pimms and breakfast. There had been a wedding the previous day so maybe they had been busy and that was why as we opened the lift door we were greeted with trays of old breakfast plates and stale food - not a good first impression. Room was comfortable and clean (although very hot) but nice and quiet.
The dinner was really good and excellent value, friendly staff although a little slow (we had to ask three times for the wine list). What really let the hotel down was breakfast, a coach load of tourists arrived shortly after we had ordered and they were all served before us - we waited 40 minutes for our breakfast, they did apologise but we were really past it by the time it arrived with our burnt toast and not very fresh meal. As we checked out we found we had been accidentally charged with £100 of various extras that weren't ours and it took quite a while to sort this out, nobody seemed to know how this had happened and the girl on reception tried to put it down to extras with the meal. Maybe we were just unlucky on this occasion but it didn't make us want to rush back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SueBuckinghamshire
WoodNortonGM, Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am really sorry that you encountered the poor level of service you did during your stay with us, it is certainly not the norm for our levels of service to be so low.

I would like to find out more about your stay, most specifically when you stayed, so I can investigate fully. Perhaps you would be kind enough to email me at gm@thewoodnorton.com

Thank you, and apologies once again.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

First of all I should advise that a new manager took over in May, so watch this space!
We did tell him that having travelled the world, we could say without fear of contradiction that the cleanliness throughout was beyond belief......perfection.
As other reviewers have mentionned bedroom choice is vital. My wife has lost the sight of one eye so we specially asked for a bright airy room, both at time of booking and at check in.We were sent to the annex = cheap rooms!! to 309. Not only had it but one tiny window but it was cramped and dark. We were offered other rooms, by the totally charming, highly considerate and professional David, who finally sought approval for us for a no charge upgrade to the main building room 207.Beautiful bay window looking out over the immaculate lawns, rose garden, croquet lawn and beyond. The building is so full of history and as formerly part of the BBC its walls bedecked with old photos of radio stars. The breakfasts were excellent but marred by the petty supplements demanded for kippers or haddock. Similarly the superb dinner menu at nearly £40 had a £3.95 I believe supplement for lamb! It's century old history of royal and noble visitors warrants reading about and the gardens are tended with loving care. A total escape from noise yet a few miles from numerous quality inns and restaurants and slightly further to beautiful Worcester with it's amazing shops but infinitely more amazing Cathedral where King John lies buried.

Room Tip: If you can afford it pay to stay in the main building!!
3  Thank dumbov
Steven S, General Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Dumbov,

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that David and the rest of my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

It was a pleasure meeting with you both and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Vale of Evesham and Wood Norton Hotel very soon.

Best wishes,
Steven

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have special requirements when we travel because my wife is in a wheelchair. We were given Room 301, which was large and spacious with a separate living room and bedroom. The bathroom was excellent, fully adapted for wheelchair use. But it was in a separate building from the main hotel called Pear Tree Mews which was 100 yards up a steep hill from the main buildings. It was possible, though with difficulty, to take the car up to this building, but the nearest parking was at the bottom of the hill. Who would put a wheelchair accessible room in a position where you had to push the chair 100 yards uphill?

But there was worse. The room adjoined a very noisy machinery room, and just outside the window were the air conditioning fans. It was like trying to sleep in an old noisy jet aircraft, or in a factory.

The old mansion house is a delight, with wood-panelling everywhere. Dinner was good; I didn't mind that it was expensive, but at £39.50 it seems mean to add on a supplement for lamb or for vegetables. Service was friendly and professional.

Breakfast on Sunday was one of those awful buffets with cold bacon and with fried eggs pre-cooked, all self-served on to cold plates. We were expecting the same on Monday morning, but this breakfast was done properly - freshly cooked to order and served well.

So, while we loved the main building and the gardens, and the staff were excellent, there were disappointments.

Room Tip: Don't choose 301 if you dislike 24-hour machinery.
1  Thank UKPeripatetic

Thank you very much for your review.
I am so sorry to hear of the issues you were faced with during your stay with us, I would have welcomed the opportunity to put them right during your stay.
I will be looking into all the items you have raised, feedback is a vital component in improving our service.
Thank you for your kind comments about the team, I will pass onto the staff.
Please feel free to contact me at gm@thewoodnorton.com if you wish to discuss your stay further.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

had a lovely over night stay at this hotel and would recommend it to our family and friends,the only thing I can fault is when we went for breakfast the plates were cold and made our breakfast go cold quickly apart from that excellent should be 5 star

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
WoodNortonGM, Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and i hope we can welcome you back sometime in the future. Thank you for your comments about the plates, i will pass this on to the Chef.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I've honestly never stayed at a hotel with this high a level of service. The gentleman who handles breakfast (I believe his name is Paul) went above and beyond to make our stay fantastic and refused to accept any tip in exchange. The next night, the restaurant and bar had closed, my friends and I were in for the night, and I was starving. I called down to the front desk and the night attendant (I believe his name was David), offered to go down to the kitchen and make me a roast beef sandwich and a salad. He brought it up to my room, and the hotel didn't even charge me for it! I will absolutely stay here every single time I'm in the area, and I highly recommend anyone else does. This is a hotel that lives and breathes customer service, and in a world where so many businesses take their customers for granted, it was a treat to stay with them.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Anusha D,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on TripAdvisor. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that Paul, David and the rest of my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best wishes,
Steven

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Booked the Romance Package: this included a very nice flower arrangement in the room, real champagne, albeit of a cheaper variety, and petit four type sweets, although some proper chocolates would have been preferable. We were made to feel very welcome by staff, but I do object to being greeted in a place at this cost by "Are you all right?"

In the Dorothee Room, Duchesse d'Orleans. A medium/ large wood panelled room, with an enormous bathroom with shower and bath: a magnificent view of the gardens and the countryside in the distance. We were very happy with the room, apart for the wifi, which was fairly hopeless, intermittent and not fast: in the end I had to go into the hallway to get a decent signal.

The building is very interesting, with wood paneling everywhere and interesting hall and stairs.

Dinner was a five course one of very high quality, but if it were not for the (excellent) rolls, we would have been left hungry. Two of the courses consisted of an 'amuse bouche' and a sorbet: none of the others were very large. We tried both the turbot and sea bream, both excellent tasting fish. Frankly, if you want a full meal, you might be better off with the bar menu, which some of us tried the second night. However, again staff were exceptionally friendly and helped with everything they could.

Breakfast was good, a hot buffet, with porridge on request and (at extra charge, although we were not told this) very good kippers and haddock

For places to visit, have a look at Pershore, a lovely town and the Abbey, also the carved tree in the grounds.

We would stay at this hotel again if in the area.

Room Tip: Ask about what the view is like and whether there will be any noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlbertSolihull

Thank you very much for your review and the comments you made.
We are a listed building and some of the infrastructure does not lend itself very well to getting good wifi signal or telephone signal for that matter. That is one of the challenges of an historic building in the countryside.
We are undergoing a review of our whole food offering from top to bottom and will hopefully make advances, and i thank you for your feedback.
Thank you once again for your review, and i hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Evesham
Evesham Hotel
#5 of 11 in Evesham
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#6 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Wood Norton Hotel? Share your experiences!