“Wedding Reception”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Evesham
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Wedding Reception”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just had daughter's wedding reception at Wood Norton with guests staying overnight. Excellent food and the rooms were great slick performance of staff at all times cannot be faulted all round.
Set in lovely countryside.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank johnbracken
Steven S, General Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear John,

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that they helped make your daughters wedding such a magical day.

Steven

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This review will be in two parts because I, personally love the place but there were little niggles peculiar to my group of companions.
I would definitely stay here again (if they would have me back!). The building exterior is beautiful, historic and is positioned in a lovely setting. The gardens are beautiful, with for a change, lots of roses - with perfume! The lawn to the front of the house is elegant, lovely patio seating, views from the parapet wall and even a set of bowls on the grass. In the sun, as it was on the morning we left, all looked totally elegant.
The inside of the house is architecturally interesting and unusual because of the nature of its history, with door furniture as I have never seen before. The styling for the Hotel has been done sympathetically with a tasteful modern twist, love the chairs throughout the place. The dining/breakfast room is classically tasteful, white linen table cloths and beautiful windows/French doors. The bar and bar eating area is modern inside the historic room and blends well.
There was a wedding party in residence whilst we were there but they had separate facilities so we had the bar eating area to ourselves, and as the last night of our trip, it made a lovely occasion. The bar menu was quite varied although one of my companions had great difficulty in choosing something as he cannot eat garlic. The only soup on the menu was Gazpacho but the chef was persuaded to find an alternative. The food was well presented, good and reasonable value for a venue such as this. Our waitress Agnes, just learning, was charming, with a lovely attitude. The bar manager too dealt with our "awkwardness" with smiles and patience. The reception staff too were very efficient and charming and management smartly dressed.
We were in rooms in a building that I understand was formerly a zoo to one of the earlier owners, interesting entranceway to it. The rooms were spacious, elegantly designed and immaculate. On the plus side, being away from the main building meant it was very quiet and wedding guests returning that night must have been like mice! How considerate.
Breakfast was very busy and buzzy because the wedding party were in. The maitre d saw our approach and had already moved tables to accommodate us as we walked in.
Of all our recent stays, this was the first totally buffet breakfast we had experienced, I suppose not surprising with the volume of guests there, and although the buffet was extensive, great sausages!, the remaining fried eggs didnt look attractive so I asked for fresh ones. When they arrived sadly, they had clearly been keeping warm on a hot plate in the kitchen, the yolks were hard and the white was rubbery. Disappointing for such a quality venue, particularly when I had specifically asked for fresh eggs.
Whether because of the wedding, but I got the distinct impression that there were a lot of recently new staff, some appearing not to know whether they should step forward and clear plates and at what point. One of the girls placed a fresh pot of coffee onto the table by reaching right across the front of my disabled companion, rather than walking round the table. (My former mother-in-law Silver service waitress would have had a fit!). Young waiting staff do not seem to be trained in the same ways any more. Im sure these are all teething problems though. On the whole, the stay was lovely, and for me as an individual, the following issues would not normally be issues.

On the negative side, for our party having a disabled guest and effectively me as carer to two, our accommodation was very awkward to reach. If we had been in the main house, there is a lift but of course, these rooms are priced accordingly, and in truth, we would probably not have wanted to pay such prices. Our accommodation was up a sloping access road, quite steep and difficult for my companion who uses a walker/trolley. Then it was through two doors, up a flight of quite narrow stairs (with bannister rail), and through yet another door. On arrival because work was going on near our accommodation, the bar blocking use of the service road was down and I assumed I could drive up it, but I was subsequently told that the service road was not for the use of guests. There appeared to be no assistance available to guests for carrying bags, which whilst I normally manage them myself, would have been much simpler had their been a luggage trolley available and a little surprising for this quality/standard of Hotel.
So, I would say if you are a disabled person/carer considering staying here, be aware of the pitfalls. Despite the issues, my party were all totally glad I had made the booking and loved the place. I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, I should think the ultimate would be staying in the main house, otherwise, roo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gail T
Dear Gail,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on Tripadvisor.It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I would also like acknowledge receipt of your email.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Pershore, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We organised a celebration dinner in the new function suite. Following several meetings, the overwhelming response from everyone that attended was a fabulous evening, great setting, lovely venue. The, meal was excellent and prompt service by the numerous staff in attendance. In organising the function the event staff met all our needs and allowed us to add our personal touch to an already stunning venue.

We hired a local Cotswold band "Wishfull thinking" who were very professional, talented and kept the evening buzzing with a varied live set.

Our accomodation was spacious and comfortable, very comfortable bed and a fantastic shower. Breakfast was excellent, with many healthy options available and enjoyed outside on the terrace on a beautiful warm sunny morning.

Staff remembered us from previous planning visits and took an interest in our activities, always being friendly and welcoming. An offer was extended to help us with any future functions.

Most common response from our club members "what a great night, can we do this every year!!!"

Roy Amphlett, President South Worcs. Lifeguards and Lifesaving Club.

Room Tip: Extend your budget and treat yourself to a special night
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank royamph
Steven S, General Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Royamph,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review on Tripadvisor. Your comments are much appreciated. Some members of the team have just seen your feedback come through now and are delighted to know that they helped in making your event a success.

We look forward to welcoming you all back to The Wood Norton again very soon.

wales
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Just returned from a two night visit, to be honest we nearly cancelled due to the adverse comments on trip advisor. Thank goodness we went, it was superb. The food is excellent, the service faultless. The room was lovely, couldn't fault it. All the staff were truly professional and very pleasant, we were made very welcome. This hotel is a hidden gem.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dragon057
Dear Dragon,

I would like to taake this opportunity and thank you for taking the time to post your kind comments on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is very important to us and I can assure you that the team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Wood Norton.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We love this hotel for many reasons and have just returned home after our 4th visit. The staff are extremely friendly, professional and attentive. We stayed in a suite this time which did not disappoint and was worth the extra cost. The food is high quality and the wine list is to die for. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you get the weather breakfast on the terrace is a must. If you like fine dining this is the hotel...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jonathan K
Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on Tripadvisor. Your comments are very much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is a comfortable country house hotel well set up for formal events. There had been weddings on the day prior and the day after and we felt it was good choice for a mid journey stop off on a journey south. The room was spacious and cool in a scorching week and very well appointed and ver clean. The bathroom was large and the shower pleasingly powerful. The grounds are charming and well set with a few lawn games. It was too warm to sit on the lovely terrace, so we ate in the bar and were impressed at the quality of the food. The staff were helpful and struck a nice balance between formal and informal. One point was that the lift did not work and apparently had not been for a while. It was not utterly necessary but the lack of the amenity was disappointing.
Anyone who likes a bit of history will like the background of this hotel - see the Duc's bath!!

Room Tip: There are rooms in the hotel proper and others in buildings around the back - suited to housing larg...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Steven S, General Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Defurdon,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is much appreciated. We are really please you enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We recently stayed at Wood Norton for a nights break on our own without children! We decided to treat ourselves and stayed in the Duc's Suite, which was fabulous. The weather was kind, and we enjoyed a lovely lunch and later on cream tea on the terrace, both times the service friendly and efficient. We enjoyed a leisurely stroll around the attractive gardens afterwards to make room for dinner !

Pre-dinner drinks were served promptly in the bar, despite it being busy, while we perused the menu. We were lucky to be seated in front of a window in the restaurant, although all tables were fine, no closer to each other than in any other restaurant. We found all staff to be pleasant and professional. The meal was superb; the courses were well paced, and although some reviewers have criticised the portion sizes, we found them to be ample and were full by the end of the meal!

We slept well on the lovely huge, comfy bed and were appreciative of the air conditioning on a very warm night. Breakfast next morning was fine, a buffet was not an issue, as it meant we were able to help ourselves to as much as we wanted.

All the staff were friendly, polite and professional when we stayed, and the only improvement I could make would be to have some information in the rooms about the history of the hotel, to compliment the lovely old pictures on the corridor walls.

We had a lovely break here; usually when I stay somewhere I say I've had a good time, but that I would like to try somewhere different for our next break. With Wood Norton we'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Treat yourself to one of the suites to make your stay extra special!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LissaS594
Steven S, General Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Lissa,

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Kind regards,
Steven
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evesham
Evesham Hotel
#5 of 11 in Evesham
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#3 of 23 in Cheltenham

Been to The Wood Norton Hotel? Share your experiences!