“1st class, as ever.”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Evesham
Mumbles, United Kingdom
“1st class, as ever.”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just returned from our fourth stay at the "Wood Norton". Can`t fault the very high standards of accommodation, food, ambiance etc. etc. but what really makes the place" tick" is the professionalism, friendliness and warmth of the staff in all areas. Looking forward to returning again.
Thanks to everyone.

1 Thank Dave J
Steven S, General Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review on Tripadvisor. Your comments are very much appreciated and I can assure you that everyone will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your return visit.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Steven

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed for one night only on a dbb deal as a treat. After trawling through dozens of possibilities we decided on the Wood Norton; I'm so pleased we did!

We stayed in one of the Pear Tree rooms which are set around a courtyard adjacent to the main building. It was
beautifully clean, smartly furnished.....not huge but very pleasant.

The hotel gardens and terrace were very pretty and we had fun playing bowls and croquet on the lawn before rain stopped play!

Our stay was made special by the charming attention given by the staff here. They were all professional but wonderfully friendly and made you instantly feel relaxed and "at home". The food at dinner was delicious and I thought perfectly portioned. If I were to make one comment it would be that our main course was served on a slate and was a little cold.....I had no reservation that I could have sent it back with no unease but once I had taken my first mouthful I didn't want to stop eating it!! My cherry dessert was to die for!

I had two occasions when I had to request room service. Firstly for an iron and extra sugar abd secondly I had forgotten my toothbrush. Both times my requests were dealt with immediately and happily.

I would love to return to The Wood Norton and hope to in the future. Thank you for making our short stay with you so great.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lesley,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on Tripadvisor.It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Wood Norton Hotel for our Golden Wedding Anniversary.
I cannot praise this hotel enough everything about our stay was wonderful.
The staff cannot do enough for you especially in the restaurant and bar.
We loved the food and wine in the beautiful dining room.
Thank you so much to you all at the Wood Norton for a wonderful few days we will never forget.
We will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara R
Dear Barbara,

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that the team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon and congratulations on your Golden Wedding Anniversary from all the team.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Excellent hotel set in lovely gardens. Very close to Cotswolds. Located just off main road but set back far enough and high enough not to be affected by traffic noise. The standard of accomodation throughout the hotel was excellent and the staff were well trained, attentive and courteous. The evening meal was relatively expensive however was a fine dining experience and we were very glad we ate there. Breakfast was adequate, however for a hotel of this standard some of the "extras" ,eg kippers should have been within the price. Overall we would happily recommend this hotel

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lily136
Steven S, General Manager at The Wood Norton Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Lily,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best wishes
Ledbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed with friends to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. A great setting, wonderful staff, very comfortable rooms and superb food. Staying as part of a special deal, the scene was set with a couple of free jugs of Pimms combined with a game of Croquet on the picturesque lawn. The room was clean, great bed and nice ensuite bathroom. Food in the restaurant for the evening was wonderful, attentive staff and a great selection.

A nice little gem, highly recommended.

1 Thank Nick C
Dear Jolly_Nick,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on Tripadvisor. Your comments are very much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just had daughter's wedding reception at Wood Norton with guests staying overnight. Excellent food and the rooms were great slick performance of staff at all times cannot be faulted all round.
Set in lovely countryside.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank johnbracken
Dear John,

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that they helped make your daughters wedding such a magical day.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This review will be in two parts because I, personally love the place but there were little niggles peculiar to my group of companions.
I would definitely stay here again (if they would have me back!). The building exterior is beautiful, historic and is positioned in a lovely setting. The gardens are beautiful, with for a change, lots of roses - with perfume! The lawn to the front of the house is elegant, lovely patio seating, views from the parapet wall and even a set of bowls on the grass. In the sun, as it was on the morning we left, all looked totally elegant.
The inside of the house is architecturally interesting and unusual because of the nature of its history, with door furniture as I have never seen before. The styling for the Hotel has been done sympathetically with a tasteful modern twist, love the chairs throughout the place. The dining/breakfast room is classically tasteful, white linen table cloths and beautiful windows/French doors. The bar and bar eating area is modern inside the historic room and blends well.
There was a wedding party in residence whilst we were there but they had separate facilities so we had the bar eating area to ourselves, and as the last night of our trip, it made a lovely occasion. The bar menu was quite varied although one of my companions had great difficulty in choosing something as he cannot eat garlic. The only soup on the menu was Gazpacho but the chef was persuaded to find an alternative. The food was well presented, good and reasonable value for a venue such as this. Our waitress Agnes, just learning, was charming, with a lovely attitude. The bar manager too dealt with our "awkwardness" with smiles and patience. The reception staff too were very efficient and charming and management smartly dressed.
We were in rooms in a building that I understand was formerly a zoo to one of the earlier owners, interesting entranceway to it. The rooms were spacious, elegantly designed and immaculate. On the plus side, being away from the main building meant it was very quiet and wedding guests returning that night must have been like mice! How considerate.
Breakfast was very busy and buzzy because the wedding party were in. The maitre d saw our approach and had already moved tables to accommodate us as we walked in.
Of all our recent stays, this was the first totally buffet breakfast we had experienced, I suppose not surprising with the volume of guests there, and although the buffet was extensive, great sausages!, the remaining fried eggs didnt look attractive so I asked for fresh ones. When they arrived sadly, they had clearly been keeping warm on a hot plate in the kitchen, the yolks were hard and the white was rubbery. Disappointing for such a quality venue, particularly when I had specifically asked for fresh eggs.
Whether because of the wedding, but I got the distinct impression that there were a lot of recently new staff, some appearing not to know whether they should step forward and clear plates and at what point. One of the girls placed a fresh pot of coffee onto the table by reaching right across the front of my disabled companion, rather than walking round the table. (My former mother-in-law Silver service waitress would have had a fit!). Young waiting staff do not seem to be trained in the same ways any more. Im sure these are all teething problems though. On the whole, the stay was lovely, and for me as an individual, the following issues would not normally be issues.

On the negative side, for our party having a disabled guest and effectively me as carer to two, our accommodation was very awkward to reach. If we had been in the main house, there is a lift but of course, these rooms are priced accordingly, and in truth, we would probably not have wanted to pay such prices. Our accommodation was up a sloping access road, quite steep and difficult for my companion who uses a walker/trolley. Then it was through two doors, up a flight of quite narrow stairs (with bannister rail), and through yet another door. On arrival because work was going on near our accommodation, the bar blocking use of the service road was down and I assumed I could drive up it, but I was subsequently told that the service road was not for the use of guests. There appeared to be no assistance available to guests for carrying bags, which whilst I normally manage them myself, would have been much simpler had their been a luggage trolley available and a little surprising for this quality/standard of Hotel.
So, I would say if you are a disabled person/carer considering staying here, be aware of the pitfalls. Despite the issues, my party were all totally glad I had made the booking and loved the place. I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, I should think the ultimate would be staying in the main house, otherwise, roo...