“Overnight spa break”
Review of The Malvern

The Malvern
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Malvern
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Although located on the edge of an out of town business/retail park, once inside, the spa has a very luxurious feel. The large spa pool is split between an indoor and an outdoor area. The Malvern waters were pleasantly warm and even at 7pm on a cold December evening it felt very special to be outdoors in the bubbly jets looking up at a starry sky. The hydrotherapy area was also very well designed and all facilities were extremely clean and well maintained. My partner enjoyed a pleasant signature back & neck massage and the list of treatments offered is extensive and reasonably priced and carried out in well thought out treatment areas. There are plenty of loungers and other soft seating areas both around the pool and in the salon area to relax in between. (Also, it is an adults only spa). There is a brasserie area to enjoy drinks and lighter snacks and meals during the day and a small restaurant. We did dine in the restaurant in the evening but if we return again would probably go into Malvern to eat as the menu was quite limited and there was little atmosphere. Breakfast was excellent, buffet style but with hot choices cooked to order. The hotel room was well appointed and had one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in. Overall though a very pleasant experience.

1  Thank AliSend
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you for your review and feedback.

I am pleased you had such an enjoyable stay with us and have to agree the outdoor heated pool on a cold winter's evening is very special.

I am sorry you did not enjoy the restaurant as much. We are looking at improving this area over the coming year and I am sure you will appreciate the changes when your return.

Lynsey Kettlewell, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,009)

Reviewed 30 December 2013

...the one wardrobe door opened on to the door closer in the bedroom.
Apart from that we found absolutely nothing wrong with the Malvern.
It was clean and tidy, good value for money, and has friendly, helpful staff. The facilities on site were well maintained with enough room for the number of guests on site.
We were particularly impressed with the dinner we had. The beef and the chicken were both well cooked with lovely acompanyments; and the bottle of wine represented good value for what we paid. There wasn't a massive range on offer. But what they offer they cook very well.

We will definitely be going back; it was just so relaxing. Shame we have to go back to work tomorrow!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Hi Nigel

Thank you for your review and I am so pleased the review title description is misleading!!!

We receive frequent excellent feedback regarding our food and restaurant and I am delighted you enjoyed this so much.

I look forward to your return visit very soon. Happy new year to you both.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

My partner and I were looking for a night away in a place where there was something to do if the weather was bad. We hit upon the idea of a spa break, and chose the Malvern - and I'm so glad we did!

The best thing about the Malvern is the indoor-outdoor hydrotherapy pool, which is an unmissable experience. I'll never forget the experience of being outside in the cold air, yet feeling so warm in the water (it's easily the warmest pool I've ever been in). We also enjoyed the other spa facilities - the steam room and sauna, and simply lounging about relaxing.

As others have said, the hotel is in a business park, but this really didn't matter at all. We weren't expecting any views from our room, but were lucky enough to have a view of the Malvern hills. The room itself was very comfortable. I was also very impressed by the service at the Malvern. We received a very friendly greeting, and when checking out the receptionist recommended a walk we could do (thank you - we did the walk and really enjoyed it!)

We ate dinner and breakfast in the hotel, and enjoyed both (although I'd say they were good, rather than great).

It's worth noting that if you stay here for a night, you have to pay extra to use the spa facilities on the day you check out. Luckily we'd checked this in advance and knew the situation, otherwise we might have been disappointed.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel for a relaxing spa break. My partner and I left this hotel feeling wonderfully relaxed - exactly what we'd hoped for. We keep talking about when we can go back - I can't wait!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello there

I am delighted you both had the lovely relaxing break you had hoped for.

We pride ourselves on our customer service and outstanding facilities and it is clear you experienced both to the full during your stay with us. You also managed to enjoy the surrounding area as a bonus!

I hope you will return to us very soon.

Happy new year to you both.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed here 2 years ago and when a Christmas deal came up I booked to surprise my husband for our 20th Anniversary. He was so pleased as we had a wonderful time before and our second visit didn't disappoint. We had a 30 minute massage included in the price as well as dinner on Christmas Eve, breakfasts both mornings and Christmas lunch.
The other inclusive was a coach and guides to take us to British Camp in the hills, a walk up to the top with mulled wine and biscuits at 7.30 on Christmas morning, which was an excellent experience There were gifts in our room as well as A Christmas card and a belated card for my birthday and Anniversary the week before.
Our only disappointment was that the promised midnight splash in the outdoor hydrotherapy pool on Christmas Eve did not happen due to an apparent lack of communication with night staff.
All in all a wonderful Christmas with very polite and helpful staff.

Room Tip: some rooms have lovely views to the Malvern Hills
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Hello Jan

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted you both had a wonderful Christmas stay with us.

We have had great feedback regarding the walk on Christmas morning - and perfect weather for it too!

I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy the pool at midnight- it was felt the water was too cold for everyone's comfort but unfortunately it appears this was not communicated to you all- I do apologise for this.

I hope to see you and your husband when you return for your 3rd visit- wishing you a very happy new year.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Me and the wifey have never visited a UK spa hotel - we've always gone abroad and been pampered over there. I was given a surprise birthday stay here which included a spa treatment, use of the spa facilities, dinner and breakfast, and I can honestly say that this experience is amongst the most relaxing I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying.

The hotel staff decorated the room with candles just before we arrived and other little goodies were placed around the room. It was a gorgeously presented suite and gave a good insight into the high standards set here.

The full body massge in the Spa was likewise excellent. Service was very friendly and welcoming and the spa treatment was fantastically relaxing. As you'd expect of a top spa, I was given a choice of oils and I struggled to stay awake whilst relaxing on teh heated massage chair/bed.

The evening meal was of wonderful quality and staff service was perfect too. The one area where the hotel could improve is to make the dining / breakfast area a bit more intimate / plush although this is just my opinion.

The bed and pillows were unbelievably comfortable and the next morning we had a lovely breakfast in the restaurant, then went back into the spa area to enjoy the outstanding sauna / steam rooms. The hydrotherapy pool, which is heated and runs from the indoors to the outdoors, is incredible and just has to be experienced.

We loved this spa hotel and will definitely be visiting again. As other reviewers have said, the hotel is on the edge of a trading park BUT this doesn't matter because, as soon as you set foot inside The Malvern, you relax.

Loved it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Hello

Thank you for your lovely review and I am delighted you both had such a wonderful stay with us.

It is clear you experienced the high standards we strive for in all departments and I am so pleased it was such a perfect surprise present for you.

I wish you both a very happy Christmas and look forward to seeing you on your return visit very soon!

Reviewed 19 December 2013

This was our second visit here, and we were not dissapointed! Yet again an amazing relaxing experience. We came with family, there were 7 of us all together, and every one of us had no complaints. It was to celebrate my 30th Birthday, and the staff were very helpful in the brasserie/restaurant as my husband wanted to decorate the table when we came down and they even brought out my Birthday cake for me and all sang Happy Birthday! The food was so good, definitely worth the money. 3 of us had beauty treatments which were all very good and professionaly done. Thank you to all the staff, especially the restaurant staff for making my Birthday extra special! We will be back for a 3rd visit!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighted to learn you all had such a great tine with us and that your Birthday was extra special.

I look forward to welcoming you back for your 3rd visit.

Have a happy Christmas.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

An absolutely fantastic spa, despite the location etc, once you get inside its very inviting and relaxing. This is my second visit this year, the first was in July with my mother and my son, the second was in with my husband, and on both occasions we received a wonderful welcome and were shown around the facilities. The gym facilities are adequate, I go to the gym regularly and was quite happy with the wide range of equipment and free weights.

The Spa area has about 3/4 steam rooms and saunas, Even though it can get busy there are more than enough loungers so we didn't have to wait and the staff do make sure people don't "reserve" loungers. Its lovely that drinks can be brought to you at the pool, these little touches do make you feel even more special. The indoor and outdoor spa pools are great, very warm and the jets are amazing. Its more than just a large Jacuzzi!

On our first visit we had lunch in the restaurant, this was ok, second visit included a cream tea...scones were delicious.

First visit we were extremely happy with the treatments, amazing, staff were very professional the the treatments were of a good standard. I have massages regularly so knew what to expect. On my second visit, the staff were really helpful as I wanted to increase my treatment from just a back massage to a fully-body massage. I couldn't have the type of massage/treatment I wanted as there wasn't a specialist therapist available so I had a standard massage. I have to say I was disappointed as the therapist was not as good as the one I had on my first visit, so didn't feel it was worth the extra money.

Overall, on both occasions we really enjoyed our stay, the staff were great and so we've got one more visit planned before the end of this year. The thing we like about The Malvern is, it is a GENUINE spa, and you do feel relaxed and chilled by the time you leave. We've been to spa's that just turned out to be a hotel with a very tired looking swimming pool and standard steam room/sauna. Once you walk through those doors you forget the location.

One suggestion: there should be some kind of time limit on the relaxation beds, after my treatments there were none free and even after waiting for more than 30 minutes none became free.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BlackButterfly777
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you for your review. It is lovely to learn you are a regular visitor to The Malvern.

Your comments and feedback are much appreciated and we will take this on board.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your most recent treatment. It is always advisable, where possible, to prebook specific requirements so that we can ensure we have the correct therapist available for your treatment.

I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Lynsey Kettlewell, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malvern
Mount Pleasant Hotel
5 mi away
Malvern Hills Hotel
Malvern Hills Hotel
#8 of 10 in Malvern

Been to The Malvern? Share your experiences!