“Expected more for an expensive spa break”
Review of The Malvern

The Malvern
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Malvern
“Expected more for an expensive spa break”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Internal of the hotel including rooms and facilities were very nice.
Massages were amazing and the outdoor pool.
Staff were friendly.
Comfortable beds
Very disappointed we couldn't use any facilities till 3pm.
Expected more facilties for a 'spa' hotel, most good hotels have the same.
Restaurant didn't live up to expectation, and no atmosphere. Poor buffet breakfast selection and only available till. 9.30.
No separate bar for drinks before or after meal. So an 9.30 retreat back to our room which was a shame.
Hotel is on a business/retail park which was a little strange, but was easy to find.

• Stayed July 2014
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Hi there

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to learn you were a little disappointed with your visit to The Malvern although I note you did enjoy the treatments, facilities and rooms.

As with many hotels check in, and use of facilities, is from 3pm. This is detailed in the booking confirmation and is advised at time of booking.

I am surprised at your comments regarding the bar as we do have a bar, within the restaurant. This is open to residents for as long as they want it. At this time of year, we also offer drinks on the outdoor patio. I am unsure if you asked a member of staff about the bar area as they would have pointed you in this direction.

Lynsey Kettlewell, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Neston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were a family of four adults celebrating a special birthday and staying for two nights. We were essentially hotel patrons although we anticipated using the spa and well-being facilities at the end of a long walk we planned or in the event of bad weather. We were certainly glad to have this option because the weather on the full day of our stay was so wet that we were kept in the hotel. Our experience was on the whole positive.

The bedrooms were clean, well maintained and quiet even though the hotal is situated on a fairly busy road. There was a great range of "aquatic" experiences within the pool complex; saunas and steam room were large, fragrant and peaceful. Ice or cold water facilities were the options for cooling off. Cleaning staff were constantly but unobtrusively tidying and cleaning. The manicure I had was done to a high standard and by a friendly beautician - very positive experience in a very relaxing atmosphere. We ate mainly in the Brasserie.The quality of the food was good although we were disappointed that on the first night some items on the already shortish menu were not available.

Overall the staff were friendly, wishing to be helpful. Our main criticism was the hapazard nature of the administration of the hotel - e.g. when we came to check out we found wrong names on two of the room accounts and a charge appeared on one account which should not have been there causing a significant delay whilst it was sorted out.

In summary a good choice if you plan to make full use of the spa and well-being facilities, but if you just want somewhere to eat , drink and sleep there are probably better value options around.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Hello there

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am pleased you enjoyed all of our facilities, even though this was not the main theme/reason for your visit.

It is a shame the restaurant had run out of some of the menu options when you came to eat and I am sorry you did not get to fully experience our amazing food.

With regards to the errors at check out, I can understand how this marred your stay and apologise that this happened. We have recently had a few new reception staff and although this is not an excuse for errors, as they are in training, it may go some way to explaining how they happened.

I do hope you will visit us again soon.

Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Last night me and my friends went for a meal in the Malvern Spa Restaurant, The food was ultimately amazing. The quality of the Lamb that I had was divine and the raspberry sorbet was perfection. All of the four of us enjoyed every aspect of our meal and the waitresses were just so lovely, Megan, Charlotte etc. Delightful. I thoroughly recommend if you want a outstanding meal at an exceelent price go to Malvern Spa

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Hi Carrie-Anne

Thank you for your review of our restaurant.

I am delighted you and your friends had such an enjoyable time and loved our amazing food and service.

I do hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

Izzy Zapytowska, Restaurant Manager
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at The Malvern for one night, we stayed in an 'Executive Double' which wasn't that impressive.

The plus points:
+ Spa is lovely and the facilities are all very nice.
+ Nice touch that you can come and go into the Spa having completed paperwork at checkin.
+ Staff were friendly and helpful.

The downside:
- Handles on the shower in our room came off if you touched them.
- Due to handles being broken there was little temperature adjustment.
- Nescafe coffee in the room! I cannot recall the last time I stayed in a hotel which sells itself as a 'boutique hotel' and couldn't get a decent coffee until breakfast time.
- Breakfast was nice and clearly well sourced ingredients, but the poached eggs we both had better resembled hard boiled eggs!

We won't be rushing back in a hurry, as nice as the facilities are, they don't make up for the downsides.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Jamie

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback.

I am sorry to learn you had difficulties with the shower in your room and also that you were disappointed with the coffee and eggs. I will share your comments with the team for future reference.

As you enjoyed our spa facilities I do hope you may reconsider and visit us again.

redditch
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Just had a 2 night stay at The Malvern Spa with my 2 daughters, What a lovely experience it was, We all truly enjoyed our stay, The hotel facilities were second to none, the staff were all very professional and friendly. Our treatments made us feel like new women, and we could not have been any more relaxed. Our evening meal was gorgeous, and the service was excellent. I would highly recommend this spa hotel to anyone who likes the 5 star treatment and quality.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jackie h
Hello Jackie

I am delighted to learn you and your daughters had such a lovely time with us recently.

It is clear you enjoyed all aspects of your visit and I hope we will see you all again very soon.

Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We always return from Malvern Spa a lot more relaxed than when we arrived.

We stayed overnight in room 201. Check in was at 3. This is my only gripe. An earlier check in would be so much more convenient say 1 pm

We had two treatments each which we both enjoyed. The staff are always warm and welcoming

Dinner was very good and we sat and enjoyed coffee and home made petit fours in the bar area.

We will return to Malvern Spa but will be a day spa customers as I think the organisation is more suited to that experience

Stayed July 2014
Hi Basil

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am delighted you enjoyed your further recent visit to The Malvern.

I am delighted you had such a relaxing time and that you enjoyed your treatments and dinner so much.

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Midlands
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was our second stay here, (feb was first). It really is lovely. Hotel very clean & comfortable. Outdoor Pool is amazing, jets truly wonderful. It was a very hot weekend, they had bean bags on the grass & sun loungers (although the sund loungers were white plastic & not very comfy or many of them!) The spa facilities are very good, lovely steam room. We have done the sunday retreat package twice now, this is very good value for money and we are looking forward to going back!. We also drove to the Malvern hills which you can see from the spa, which made our trip just wonderful!. A relaxing experience that i would only suggest upgrading the outdoor sun loungers to suit the rest of the high quality furniture that can be found inside. We also had a shellac pedicure which was lovely. Wouldn't look for another spa after visiting here. Have a lovely time.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are lovely.