“Could be lots better”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Malvern
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
“Could be lots better”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

For an expensive spa I must admit I was very disappointed. The place was scruffy, the restaurant was poor (lady who served us lovely) but staff just standing around chatting and our food took over1/2 hour to one out and was just a omelette and poached eggs.
The relaxation room was also not great the staff chatting in the corridor were noisy and the place just was t well kept.
A disappointing time - never use the place again.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank KJCR
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Hello there

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit.

I am so disappointed to read your comments and that you did not enjoy your time here. As can be seen from our many previous positive reviews, it is most unusual for our guests to leave dissatisfied.

I will ensure your feedback is shared with all of the teams so that we can ensure we make learnings/changes where needed.

Lynsey Kettlewell, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed overnight and both had spa treatments, despite being initially disappointed by the location it proved to be an enjoyable night away.
All the staff without exception were pleasant and accommodating, a big plus point.
Our hotel room was clean and spacious the views aren't the most amazing but thats not really what we went for, so we weren't overally concerned.
Our treatments we very good, especially the elimis facial I had -would definitely recommend, my back and shoulder massage was cut a little bit short and as it was only for half an hour in the first place I felt a little cheated!
There was a nice and relaxing ambience inside the spa, and I feel that the wonderful staff together with the vast selection of lovely treatments available make the Malvern Spa worth a visit....we would definitely return.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Hi Gemma

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted you both enjoyed your stay and 'saw beyond the location'.

It is great to learn you enjoyed your treatments but I am disappointed to note one was cut short. This is most unusual and I hope you did discuss this with the Spa Manager at the time

I look forward to welcoming you both back at The Malvern in the very near future.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My boyfriend surprised me with a spa break at the Malvern and we throughly enjoyed it! We had a very warm welcome at reception in which the lady gave us a short tour of the facilities and directed us to our room. The room was very spacious with slippers and robes on the bed waiting for us to begin our spa experience. The outdoor pool was great with all the different heated jacuzzi/whirlpool areas, indoor heated pool was lovely and we enjoyed the various steam rooms, salt rooms and saunas that were available. We also tried out the gym facilities and we found a varied amount of gym equipment for us to try out. We dined at the restaurant for our evening meal and it didn't disppoint we both had the lamb which was so tender and gorgeous and breakfast in the morning didn't disappoint. We would definitely return to the Malven again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Hi Kate

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am delighted you both enjoyed your surprise break at The Malvern.

It is great that you enjoyed using all of the facilities and restaurant and I hope we will see you both again soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Internal of the hotel including rooms and facilities were very nice.
Massages were amazing and the outdoor pool.
Staff were friendly.
Comfortable beds
Very disappointed we couldn't use any facilities till 3pm.
Expected more facilties for a 'spa' hotel, most good hotels have the same.
Restaurant didn't live up to expectation, and no atmosphere. Poor buffet breakfast selection and only available till. 9.30.
No separate bar for drinks before or after meal. So an 9.30 retreat back to our room which was a shame.
Hotel is on a business/retail park which was a little strange, but was easy to find.

• Stayed July 2014
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Hi there

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to learn you were a little disappointed with your visit to The Malvern although I note you did enjoy the treatments, facilities and rooms.

As with many hotels check in, and use of facilities, is from 3pm. This is detailed in the booking confirmation and is advised at time of booking.

I am surprised at your comments regarding the bar as we do have a bar, within the restaurant. This is open to residents for as long as they want it. At this time of year, we also offer drinks on the outdoor patio. I am unsure if you asked a member of staff about the bar area as they would have pointed you in this direction.

Neston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were a family of four adults celebrating a special birthday and staying for two nights. We were essentially hotel patrons although we anticipated using the spa and well-being facilities at the end of a long walk we planned or in the event of bad weather. We were certainly glad to have this option because the weather on the full day of our stay was so wet that we were kept in the hotel. Our experience was on the whole positive.

The bedrooms were clean, well maintained and quiet even though the hotal is situated on a fairly busy road. There was a great range of "aquatic" experiences within the pool complex; saunas and steam room were large, fragrant and peaceful. Ice or cold water facilities were the options for cooling off. Cleaning staff were constantly but unobtrusively tidying and cleaning. The manicure I had was done to a high standard and by a friendly beautician - very positive experience in a very relaxing atmosphere. We ate mainly in the Brasserie.The quality of the food was good although we were disappointed that on the first night some items on the already shortish menu were not available.

Overall the staff were friendly, wishing to be helpful. Our main criticism was the hapazard nature of the administration of the hotel - e.g. when we came to check out we found wrong names on two of the room accounts and a charge appeared on one account which should not have been there causing a significant delay whilst it was sorted out.

In summary a good choice if you plan to make full use of the spa and well-being facilities, but if you just want somewhere to eat , drink and sleep there are probably better value options around.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Hello there

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am pleased you enjoyed all of our facilities, even though this was not the main theme/reason for your visit.

It is a shame the restaurant had run out of some of the menu options when you came to eat and I am sorry you did not get to fully experience our amazing food.

With regards to the errors at check out, I can understand how this marred your stay and apologise that this happened. We have recently had a few new reception staff and although this is not an excuse for errors, as they are in training, it may go some way to explaining how they happened.

I do hope you will visit us again soon.

Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Last night me and my friends went for a meal in the Malvern Spa Restaurant, The food was ultimately amazing. The quality of the Lamb that I had was divine and the raspberry sorbet was perfection. All of the four of us enjoyed every aspect of our meal and the waitresses were just so lovely, Megan, Charlotte etc. Delightful. I thoroughly recommend if you want a outstanding meal at an exceelent price go to Malvern Spa

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Hi Carrie-Anne

Thank you for your review of our restaurant.

I am delighted you and your friends had such an enjoyable time and loved our amazing food and service.

I do hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

Izzy Zapytowska, Restaurant Manager
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at The Malvern for one night, we stayed in an 'Executive Double' which wasn't that impressive.

The plus points:
+ Spa is lovely and the facilities are all very nice.
+ Nice touch that you can come and go into the Spa having completed paperwork at checkin.
+ Staff were friendly and helpful.

The downside:
- Handles on the shower in our room came off if you touched them.
- Due to handles being broken there was little temperature adjustment.
- Nescafe coffee in the room! I cannot recall the last time I stayed in a hotel which sells itself as a 'boutique hotel' and couldn't get a decent coffee until breakfast time.
- Breakfast was nice and clearly well sourced ingredients, but the poached eggs we both had better resembled hard boiled eggs!

We won't be rushing back in a hurry, as nice as the facilities are, they don't make up for the downsides.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
MalvernMalvern, Manager at The Malvern, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Hello Jamie

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback.

I am sorry to learn you had difficulties with the shower in your room and also that you were disappointed with the coffee and eggs. I will share your comments with the team for future reference.

As you enjoyed our spa facilities I do hope you may reconsider and visit us again.

Lynsey Kettlewell, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malvern
The Abbey Hotel
The Cotford Hotel and l'Amuse Bouche Restaurant
The Cottage in the Wood
The Cottage in the Wood
#1 of 1 in Malvern Wells

Been to The Malvern? Share your experiences!