“Nothing Great about this Hotel other than the name!”

and 1 more site!
Great Malvern Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Malvern
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Just returned from a 2 day Business stay at this hotel. Arrived late on a Monday evening and my first reaction when entering my room was to sit on the bed with my head in my hands having been thoroughly shocked at how dirty and shabby it looked. I immediately telephoned the Foley Arms (at 11.35pm) to see if they had any rooms. Unfortunately not! The bathroom was very dimly lit, I got my hands dirty by picking up the notice off the bathroom windowsill. The decor of the whole room was 1970's which is okay I just wish it had been cleaned since the 1970's. There were a pair of dirty old socks on the ledge outside my window that must have been there for months and generally the whole room was extremely disappointing.

When getting into bed I pulled the duvet back to find a long black hair in my bed and it honestly looked like someone had slept in it since it was made.

The following morning I realised the shower didn't work, or more accurately there was little or no water pressure to allow a shower to work, plus the bracket holding the shower head was broken so it swivelled around to send the little bit of water sideways. It was barely enough to wet yourself. To top the bathroom off the radiator didn't work so the bathroom was freezing!

I was first into the breakfast room at 7.30 and was met with a very polite good morning and attentive service but then looked down at my table to see the blue runner on top of the white table cloth covered in stains and crumbs.(see photo) Having said that the breakfast was excellent, no complaints!

However, the second morning I asked for bacon and eggs and was served 2 slices of bacon that were burnt to a cinder on the rind. Anyone can burn food but not everyone has to serve it to a paying client afterwards!

There was 6 of us staying there and another colleague was covered in flea bites the following morning.

All in all definitely the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, in my life. Which is a real shame because it has great potential but I am sorry there is no excuse for the place not being clean! The decor can be excused, but not the dirt!

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ian H

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Staying with a group of friends. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Our room was comfortable and clean and the evening meal on Friday night was very good. Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday was unhurried and also good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank WagglerTango
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed for one night in a room which was shabby and badly lit. I felt like we'd stepped back into the 1970s. There was a strange smell in the entrance lobby and corridors which may well have been due to redecoration in progress. However, the price was reasonable and both our evening meal in the bar and breakfast in an attractive dining room were excellent. The local ales were perfectly kept.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BigC50
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My wife and I had a very enjoyable night in The Great Malvern. At first we were a bit unsure of the decor like others have mentioned but we found it very clean and in keeping with the age and style of the building. The owners/staff were very welcoming and the food was superb. The evening meal was excellent as was the breakfast. We are live music fans and were treated to an unexpected open mic night in the bar with some talented performers on show. The town is also an enjoyable walk round set in a beautiful backdrop of the hills with magnificent views. Good humour from our host as well made an all round good time.

1  Thank kcalbon
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This hotel is in a great location as the Malvern Hills are a 10 minute walk. The prices are reasonable as we went in 'high season'. Unfortunately, the cleanliness is terrible and the decor in the hotel rooms is disappointing . The outside of the building has more character but parking is very limited. The service is nothing to write home about! The breakfast quality is fine but the staff were surly and the service painfully slow. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mesbah S
Reviewed 29 October 2013

In Malvern for a long weekend. Started at the top of the hill trying several pubs, this was the last, bar, on our way back to our weekend stay.

Cracking night, watching Miss Pearl and the Rough Diamonds (local band, catch them if you can) - full of friendly locals, visitors to that evenings performance at the local Theatre and amazing bar staff - Go.

Late Friday evening Jeremy (manager) booked us a window seat for Sunday lunch, in the dog friendly bar area. Thinking we were all a bit worse for wear on the Friday, pleasantly surprised to find our table reserved, and a warm welcome back!

£7.95 for roast beef and all the trimmings? Can't go wrong - perfect and generous. My partner had the steak and merlot pie with all the trimmings that would come with the roast, just ask!

The hotel itself is undergoing some refurbishment, according to my partner the ladies toilet, which has just been finished, is lovely (if that's your thing re impressions of establishments, etc) and at the time of writing the roof is being re-tiled - haven't stayed here, but the warm welcome is sufficient enough for me to conclude that you would have a great stay, and the place is busy!

More places could learn how a pleasant, friendly, efficient staff go a long long way to creating good impressions.

I recommend, and look forward to coming back.

1  Thank matt w
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Solid, old-school building, reminiscent of sunny childhood holidays on a Victorian prom. but with up to date staff who enjoy giving service where your satisfaction and enjoyment are paramount. Clean throughout with interesting good quality decor. Excellent breakfast choice. Cereal, yoghurt, grapefruit, and a full English as long as your arm. "I'll have a kipper" "would sir like an egg on top?" "no thank you, just as it comes" "TWO kippers?" followed by amusement about the collective noun for kippers. Lift to all floors, ours was a large room with en suite, comfortable bed with good bedding, television and broadband, and a proper bath; just right after a long walk in the hills. The night was quiet despite being close to a busy road junction. Owners of long cars might find the parking a little tight but then the hotel is situated centre of town with limited space, being close to the theatre, shops, park and amenities. The staircase was a constant source of amusement as climbing the one we last descended brought us back to a different part of the hotel (we worked it out in the end). Such a reasonably priced double, I asked if that was per person? It would be our first enquiry on a return visit. The biggest surprise was seeing two stars on the sign and not more.

1  Thank Derryck-from-