“Comfortable stay, lovely meal”

and 1 more site!
Malvern Hills Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Malvern
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night on our way back from a week in Dorset. It was our wedding anniversary and we wanted a nice place to stay and eat.
We stayed in room 1a which was very comfortable and was a king-bedded newly refurbished room. We had a good night sleep in a comfortable bed in a quiet room.
We ate in the hotel restaurant (which seems very new or recently refurbished) and had an excellent meal.
The hotel is in a fine location in the Malvern Hills - unfortunately the weather was pretty foul (rained all day) and we could not benefit from the views (very little visibility!)
The only jarring note was that the staff serving breakfast next morning seemed overwhelmed and a bit disorganised - what we had was fine but fortunately we didn't need much!

Room Tip: Try 1a - quiet but conveniently located near restaurant Newly refurbished king-bed and very comfort...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 June 2014

A sunny day on the Malvern Hills and the hotel bar was crammed for lunch. This made for a very busy time for the staff and some frustration, not to say stupidity by the occasional customer who plainly could not wait two minutes before being served in the busy bar. The staff coped admirably.

Our family party of three chose to eat in the restaurant which had a much more relaxed air about it. It is light and airy with picture window views over the countryside.We were quickly shown to the table and here I should mention the starched linen serviettes. A nice touch.

The service was good and orders taken as soon as we were ready, but inevitably there was some slight delay in serving the food. It was perfectly acceptable particularly given the pressure on the staff and anyway who wants to rush good food, in fact very good food.

For starters two of our party ordered Crab, lime and chilli cakes, stir fried rainbow vegetables, sweet chilli dip costing £6.50. I ordered Dressed crab, mayonnaise and salad costing £9.00.

For mains we ordered Crispy slab of pork belly, creamed potato, black pudding bon bons,
redcurrant jus - Herb crusted 24 hour marinated lamb rump, goats cheese Dauphinoise potatoes, rosemary and cranberry jus, seasonal vegetables - Sea Bream on creamed spinach and potato wedges. All dishes cost £15.00 each. Without exception they were well crafted dishes which we individually relished. Food to savour.

Another bonus for us was that the drinks were all reasonably priced. Gin & Tonics cost £4.00 each, a Large Lime & Soda £1.25 and a good bottle of New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon blanc cost £18.50. They we all enjoyed and good value for a restaurant.

Overall this restaurant ticked all the boxes for us. The food and wine was of high quality and good value. The restaurant was very pleasant with some nice touches and the service good. Go back again - definitely.

P.S. Bring a container and you can fill up on Malvern water at the wells just down the road - bonus!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank safarian
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My family & I went for a meal at The Malvern Hills Hotel this evening to celebrate our anniversary. The staff were friendly & helpful. The food was unusual & beautifully cooked. 5 clear plates at the end of the meal.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Hi,

I just visited after a day on the hills to chill out with a beer and bag of crisps, to be greeted with a new transaction fee on paying with my debit card, really frustrating as there are no signs to advice this fee.

The manager then offered to pay me from staff tips to shut me up, nice attitude hey.

I did ask if I could refuse drinks and was told yes, but being an honest customer who had ordered the drinks I then felt obliged / humbled into accepting the fee.

I did however refuse to take staff tips for a facility issue, and feel this is a dishonest offer to use something which does not belong to them.

Just put a sign up and be honest.

I have just been contacted by manager (thank you) about my experience and the paid fee has been donated to charity. This may seem a poor rant and bleat over a trivial fee, but I get frustrated out of principle that if fees and charges are hidden this is a cheap tax on honest customers just looking for good food and drink in I believe one of the most beautiful places in England, the Malvern Hills.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank michael p
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I often call in here for a spot of lunch after a walk over the Malverns. This time it was my 50th Birthday and we had the kids in tow! The weather was not brilliant, we'd escaped the showers during our walk! We decided to sit inside. The atmosphere was relaxing and friendly and the food as always very good. It made for a lovely memorable birthday lunch. I'm sure we will be returning very soon!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2014

There are two main eating areas, bar and conservatory. We ate in both over the weekend and both had very good service despite it being really busy on the Sunday with all the walkers. Food was very tasty, especially the Steak and Ale pie, would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stay here twice a year so I suppose we are a bit biased but I would challenge anyone to fault the food or pleasant service at this well run establishment.The hotel is situated at the top of the hills so several good walks are just out of the front door.
Try it!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malvern
The Cottage in the Wood
The Cotford Hotel and l'Amuse Bouche Restaurant
Holdfast Cottage Hotel
Holdfast Cottage Hotel
#9 of 10 in Malvern

Been to Malvern Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!