“A stunning highly recommended hotel”
Review of The Abbey Hotel

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Malvern
Reviewed 16 March 2014

As in the title this hotel is truly stunning, set it fantastic centre location in malvern but at the same time being in its sort of own quiet closure, looking out to well maintained landscape gardens and surrounded by stunning buildings and the priory church, the hotel was very clean, very comfortable, staff were very nice and friendly. The only let down for me was I asked the waitress serving breakfast veronika for a diet coke and received a point blank no. However I won't let this put me off and I will certainly be back.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 2012myreview4u
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear 2012myreview4u

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for such a fantastic headline!

It’s lovely to hear that you were pleased with everything we have to offer at The Abbey and that you would recommend us to others.

However, I am sorry that you didn’t receive the diet Coke you requested at breakfast. I wouldn’t pretend we get it right all of the time; but, of course, our aim is to make no mistakes at all, so I’m delighted that you’ll return and give us this opportunity.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Abbey again soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed in The Abbey Hotel for a 2 night, off-season walking break package, as advertised on their website back in January / February. We paid just over £250 for this, and it also included 2 dinners (one with a bottle of wine), cooked breakfast, and even a packed lunch to take out walking. What's not to like??!!
This is a 4 star hotel so we were expecting good things, and we weren't disappointed. The hotel environment and accommodation were first rate (tidy, well appointed & maintained room, with a generously sized en suite bathroom) - and with free WiFi throughout (a lot of hotels could learn from this!). There is plenty of parking at the hotel, and this again is free. We hadn't realised we'd get dinner both days, but were glad we did as although there are plenty of other local establishments, the hotel restaurant was excellent. There were about 6 choices for each of the 3 courses (a couple of dishes had small supplements) and all the dishes we had were tasty and sensibly sized portions. My personal favourite dish was the pork belly, though the steak was good too. The waiting staff were polite, helpful and attentive in a low-key manner too. Breakfast was a buffet-type affair, and again there was no cause for complaint here. Most diets and preferences were catered for, ranging from cereals and fruit, through pastries and yoghurt, to a (decent quality) good old fashioned fry up.
The Abbey didn't seem to be particularly busy when we stayed, but then it was only the second week in March, and we were fortunate enough to visit on one of the best weekends weather-wise in many months.
Overall this hotel is highly recommended - we will definitely return as not only is it a delightful place to stay, it is so convenient for walking the Malvern Hills and exploring the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear FB71

Thank you for your fantastic review and I am delighted you were able to take the opportunity to stay at The Abbey on our “Walking Break” package, which as you remark, is “amazing value”!

We really do have a fabulous location at the foot of the Malvern Hills, ideal for walking, and in addition to this we are really well situated for visiting the city of Worcester, rural Herefordshire and the many surrounding villages.

I’m pleased you enjoyed both dinner and breakfast served in our Priory View Restaurant and I will, of course, pass your comments on to my team.

I do hope you’ll return once again, although, the one thing I can’t arrange is the wonderful weather you had in March!

Best wishes

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed here one night when going to the theatre which is only a short walk from the hotel. I last came to this hotel to a training course many years ago. The Abbey hotel is still an excellent venue for such an event and is obviously well used for functions and group visits. Although there was a lot going on overall the hotel was quiet. Our room was very comfortable though rather dark. There were plenty of comfortable public areas as well. The staff were friendly but efficient. At breakfast (Sunday morning at a civilised hour!) the restaurant was crowded but the buffet style breakfast worked well and the staff kept bringing fresh cooked items rather than leave huge quantities to go cold. There were plenty of staff around too to keep clearing tables etc. The only unusual thing was that when we got back to our room to pick up our things to checkout the key did not work. A passing guest said the keys stopped working at 11 am and we would have to go to reception to have it reactivated. This in spite of check out on a Sunday being 12 noon. Only a minor irritation but they could have put notices on the breakfast tables on a Sunday to tell guests to save them going to their rooms and having to come back. We got back late from the theatre and had a snack from the Room Service menu. No hot food available after 10.30 pm but we had excellent sandwiches.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear carolyndaw,

Thank you for your review and I was delighted you found The Abbey an excellent place to stay when visiting Malvern Theatres.

It’s pleasing that you found so many positives during your stay and in particular that you mentioned our “friendly, competent staff”; friendliness is certainly a strength of our team here, and we work hard to ensure every guest’s experience is special.

I’m sorry you were unable to access your bedroom on the Sunday morning of your departure. Check out is in fact 11.00 unless a later time has been pre-arranged and key cards are then programmed for the agreed time. However, I apologise for the inconvenience you experienced and I have discussed this with my Head Receptionist to ensure we always get this right in future.

I do hope that you'll return and enjoy another visit with us soon.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Booked this hotel through Secret Escapes, one of their 'impulse-this weekend only' offers, £79 for an executive room including upgrade if available.

I arrived before my wife who was meeting a friend in Worcester; pleasantly surprised when we were upgraded to a club room. This was exceptionally spacious with a seating area and room to swing a tiger. Bed was excellent, probably super-king which suited my wife who is 9 months pregnant. Robes, slippers and large bottles of complimentary still and sparkling water were a plus, furnishings were clearly recently updated and thus decorated very tastefully.

Location was simply superb, a very short walk to the main drag in Malvern, 2 minutes from a Wetherspoons and an Ask if you don't want to eat at the hotel. Despite close proximity to the A449 passing through Malvern, there was no noise, even with the window open.

Breakfast was high quality, particularly the fruit which is often overlooked at other hotels. Check-out was speedy and staff that we did come across were all very pleasant.

My only disappointment was the sleep quality, the drip in the bathroom from the room above (whenever the shower was being used) was loud and the sound reverberated around our room. Also, even with the radiators off, it was very warm indeed...it was quite difficult to get comfortable.

The frontage of the hotel is beautiful, the extension to the right is less desirable, but I would definitely stay again, Malvern is a small town with a lot around it.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom083

Dear Tom083

Thank you for such a wonderful review and I am delighted you had a great time at The Abbey.

It’s particularly rewarding to hear you were impressed with almost everything you experienced during your visit; your bedroom, breakfast, the hotel team and, of course, the fantastic location!

We’re determined to get everything right, so thank you for mentioning the problem you had concerning the dripping shower in the bathroom above your bedroom, which I have now reported to my Maintenance Manager.

I do hope you’ll take the opportunity to visit The Abbey and Malvern once again.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed at the Abbey for 2 nights as part of a Dancing weekend.
Having stayed previously in November we were aware that some of the rooms were smaller than others so e-mailed ahead to request a larger room, we were not disappointed and were given a room with a fantastic view of the Abbey.
A minor problem with not being able to turn off the radiator was not only fixed quickly, but we were given a complimentary bottle of wine that evening in the restaurant.
Food was superb, the Duck breast on Saturday evening especially memorable.

Service was friendly and efficient, far better than on our previous stay.

On the whole a very pleasant weekend.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Paul H,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about the Abbey Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had such a pleasant stay with us at the Dance Weekend.

I am pleased that the problem with the radiator in your bedroom was resolved efficiently and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the inconvenience this caused you.

Thank you once again for your kind comments and I do hope that you are able to return again soon to take advantage of the wonderful views from the hotel.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed here for one night in Feb 2014 - its a big old hotel, and one that could easily struggle if the owners take their eye of the ball. However, I am pleased to say, it is a really nice place to stay - the room we were in (408), was spacious, modern and very comfortable. The communal areas are immaculate, and the staff helpful and friendly. We arrived early and were checked in before midday which is always welcome. Breakfast was plentiful (the coffee could have been a bit stronger..!) and all in all, I would thoroughly recommend this place. Also - if you are keen on keeping fit while away, the reception has vouchers to the local sports centre which is just five minutes away, free of charge! For those who have never been to Malvern, just go - its a beautiful hillside town, with fantastic walking just moments from the hotel. Also - be sure to call into Mac and Jacs cafe just along from the hotel for lunch - very good , though you may need to book.

Room Tip: Upper floors, on the side looking towards Worcester and the Cotswolds
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear city1234,

Thank you for your lovely review of The Abbey. I am so pleased you enjoyed the incredible setting we have here in Malvern.

Our bedrooms vary in shape and size because of the fantastic nature of the building. However, they all have similar facilities, which are matched to the actual size of the room to ensure our guests’ comfort.

I do hope you’ll visit us once again and take the opportunity to walk the Malvern Hills and explore the local area.

Best regards,

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Right in the centre of the town stands this imposing hotel, tastefully refurbished and updated in the public areas and rooms. We stayed in 301 which was a huge room with great views over the abbey ( next door ) and it's gardens.

Nice food and good service made it a really enjoyable weekend, and the buffet style breakfast was well organised and very tasty.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Lee_Andrews,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted you found The Abbey met with your expectations during your visit.

Comfortable bedrooms, a good quality breakfast and excellent service are just a few of the important aspects we focus upon. I’m pleased you highlighted these in your review and also the continual investment in refurbishing and updating our facilities.

I hope that you’ll take the opportunity to return to the hotel once again.

Best regards,
Duncan Grey

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malvern
Mount Pleasant Hotel
Great Malvern Hotel
Great Malvern Hotel
#8 of 10 in Malvern
The Cotford Hotel and l'Amuse Bouche Restaurant

Been to The Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!