“Lovely hotel next to the Abbey”
Review of The Abbey Hotel

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Malvern
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed there twice and very good both times. Comfortable, warm, well appointed. Breakfast is a buffet and very good, large car park, central position in the town and nice walks.

Hotel of choice when we go to Great Malvern

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear JustmypinionStill,

It is wonderful to read that you had an enjoyable visit to The Abbey and thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

We do hope you will be able to return for a third visit in the not too distant future to enjoy another walk on the spectacular Malvern Hills.

Kind regards,

Duncan Grey

Write a ReviewReviews (1,247)

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I recently attended The Abbey for a friends wedding reception. It was a fantastic venue and the atmosphere was brilliantly. The food was beautiful and i heard many compliments. However there was, at times, a lengthy stand at the bar for drinks. Mainly due to only 1 member of staff at the time. She was very apologetic and seemed to be rushed off her feet. apart from that a brilliant night and I would recommend for a wedding or function.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Rach C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Abbey Hotel. All feedback is greatly appreciated and we use this to continually monitor, maintain and, where necessary, improve our standards of service.

I am so pleased you had such a fantastic time at your friend’s wedding and that everyone enjoyed the meal. On this particular evening the hotel was hosting a number of events, and I must apologise that you experienced lengthy waits at the bar. I have discussed your comment with my Food and Beverage Manager and we aim to ensure that our usual high standards of organisation and planning for events do not fall short of expectations again.

I am delighted you will recommend us as a venue, and I look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Malvern.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights over the bank holiday weekend and really enjoyed our stay. We had a Superior room - which was quite small, but had everything you would need. The bathroom was a good size and had a window - its was great to have natural light in a hotel bathroom. I found the bed very comfortable. We had a nice view of the Abbey and Vale of Evesham from our room and although it was situated above the function room, we weren't disturbed at all. Maybe this was because we were 2 floors up. The hotel has a nice lounge area, with comfy chairs and good views. Breakfast was fine. We didn't eat dinner in the hotel as there are a number of places to eat a stone's throw away from the hotel. Had some of the best Thai food I've ever had in a little Thai restaurant attached to the Red Lion pub.
I would recommend this hotel if you are planning a trip to the Malverns. It is right in the middle of Great Malvern, and next door to the Priory and it has great character. The theatre is across the road. There were plenty of parking spaces (and although it did get full with the wedding, there was still space to fit in somewhere)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear boredinwork,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your fantastic feedback following your recent stay with us at the Abbey Hotel. I am so pleased you had such an enjoyable weekend.

We are indeed fortunate to hold such beautiful location in the centre of Great Malvern, right next to the Priory and at the foot of the Malvern Hills; it is a joy to share this with our guests.

Your comments are greatly appreciated and I am sure they will prove beneficial for future guests seeking a recommendation and helpful advice for a visit to Malvern.

Best,

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We had a Superior room (#223) with a view to the Abbey and for £100 couldn't find real reason to complain. It is in the newer part of the hotel and has been recently refurbished to a very good level. The bathroom is small but well laid out and the chairs and work area in the room are clean and comfy. For me the bed is the major part of any hotel stay, judged by quality of sleep. Here things fall apart badly. Why the hotel went for two cheap feeling 3' beds rammed together and covered by a cheap topper is beyond me, other than for the immediate wow factor of a big bed I can't think as the room couldn't convert into a twin. A quality king size bed would be much better. As a result I had the worst night's sleep for a long, long time. Elsewhere, the corridors were a little narrow and the breakfast was passable, spoiled somewhat by cheap, industrial ketchup. Spend a few extra pennies guys! It's the small things that really annoy.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DennyCrane58
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear DennyCrane58,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you found you room clean and comfortable, and that our refurbishment works have been completed to a good level.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience with your bed. You king-size bed was indeed made up from two beds, which were zipped together and then covered with a suitable topper. The reason we have this type of bed is so we are able to convert it to a twin room when necessary.
I have passed on your comments to our Head Housekeeper to ensure that the beds are zipped properly, and our guests experience a good night’s sleep.

I have also addressed your comment about our ketchup with our Head Chef, as it should not have a cheap, industrial taste.

Hopefully, we can welcome you back, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly to allocate a more suitable room for you.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for one night while we explored Malvern and the surrounding area. The hotel is ideally located for this which is why we choose it. Had we known that there would be two weddings there on the day/night we were staying we would not have booked. The hotel was extremely busy, the car park was full with cars parked almost on top of one another! We had a superior room, which I checked with reception because I wasn't quite sure what was superior about it! Very disappointed that we didn't have a view of the Priory next door or the lovely gardens which you would expect to be one of the perks of having a superior room! The best was still to come, when we arrived back from our evening out, we realised that our room was located directly above one of the function rooms being used for one of the weddings! Surely when allocating rooms it would be courteous to allocate non-wedding guests to another less noisy part of the hotel! Was it not for these few grumbles it would have been a pleasant stay!

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear teens72,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that your overall stay was affected by the two weddings that were taking place at our hotel. When our hotel is busy due to weddings or other functions, we make sure we allocate the non-attending guests to a quiet part of the hotel, so their rest is not disturbed.

I am unsure why this was not the case on this occasion, and I would like to investigate this further. I would really appreciate it if you contacted me directly at dgrey@sarova.com to provide me with some additional details.

I appreciate your positive comments about the central location of our hotel, which makes it perfect for exploring Malvern and the surrounding areas.

I do hope the positives outweighed the negatives and that you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We booked via the TIC at short notice. We were put in a pokey room in the new end of the hotel. The bathroom was not big enough to swing a cat in. Having just stayed at a lovely 4star hotel in North Yorkshire the Abbey hotel was shabby. The hospitality tray only had one of each item on it so we had to share, breakfast was very average and the staff were curt and humourless, maybe it's due to their nationality. On the up side Malvern was a lovely town and we found the most fantastic Indian restaurant. We would go back to Malvern but surely there must be better hotels than this to stay in

Room Tip: From reading other reviews it seems like rooms in the old part of the building are better. Avoid the...

Dear somersetUKSarah,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay with us.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with many aspects of your stay and that you found the hotel shabby.
The hospitality tray should be stocked with two sets of each item when we expect two people to be in the room. I am unsure why your room was not stocked appropriately.

I am surprised that you found our breakfast team curt and humourless, as they normally receive very positive comments from our guests. I have discussed your comments with our Food & Beverage Manager, who has conducted a refresher training with her team to ensure they are always helpful, willing and friendly.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the points you bring up in your review in more detail, especially the details about your room. If you would like to discuss these issues please contact me directly at dgrey@sarova.com.

I hope that soon I will be able to address the points you’ve raised in your review, and you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed here because we were going to see Suggs at Malvern theatre which is a stones throw from the hotel.
It is difficult to criticize the Abbey it is an interesting old building (or some of it is) adjoining the cathedral. The staff were helpful the food was alright the place is comfortable but somewhat stuck in the 70's. It would certainly benefit from a makeover. Our room was large and lovely with a great view, the furniture was comfortable but outdated as was the furniture. The ensuite was good and clean and did what it should.
We would go back if we were going to Malvern again

Room Tip: Ask for an Abbey view!

Dear simon J,

Thank you for your overall positive review. I am pleased that, on the whole, you enjoyed your visit to The Abbey.

All of the bedrooms at The Abbey are very individual and this is part of the great attraction of this historical building. I was disappointed you felt that your room was in need of a makeover, as we are continuously investing in refurbishment of our bedrooms. However, I do have to accept that it can be difficult to meet everyone’s personal taste and expectations.

More positively, I am delighted that you would choose to stay with us again if visiting Malvern; so I do hope we see you again soon.

With best wishes,

Duncan Grey

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malvern
Mount Pleasant Hotel
Premier Inn Malvern Hotel
Malvern Hills Hotel
Malvern Hills Hotel
#9 of 10 in Malvern

Been to The Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!