“great wedding venue”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Malvern
malvern
“great wedding venue”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

On 5/7/14 i had the pleasure of attending a wedding reception at this hotel,the room was set out beautifully , the buffet was outstanding,fresh,nicely presented,plenty of variety.The staff very helpful and polite it was a wonderful day , at a lovely venue could not fault it a wonderful time was had by all .thank you to chefs and staff for a nice day ..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear travellerMalvern,

Thank you for your fabulous review following the wedding you attended here at The Abbey.

I’m so pleased that the wedding celebration was a great success and that as a guest at such a special occasion you were impressed with the hotel as a wedding venue, the wedding breakfast and also the service provided by my team.

Louise, our Wedding Co-ordinator was delighted with your fantastic feedback as were our Chefs and in fact, all of the team.

As a local resident of Malvern, I do hope you’ll choose to visit The Abbey again, perhaps for our wonderful afternoon tea or a refreshing drink in the Priory Lounge.

Duncan Grey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Centrally situated in Malvern the Abbey has fabulous staff, and nothing is too much trouble.
The hotel interior at first looks a little tired, but our executive room was first class, even with a liitle note asking to leave a message if something wasnt working (great idea!)
Very comfy bed, 2 large bottle of water (other hotels PLEASE NOTE!), dressing gowns and slippers.
Breakfast was EXCELLENT, complete with the porridge I requested. Thank you.
Only problem is that it does attract coach loads of elderly guests, and there is a feeling of being in a nursing home. But that said it wont put us off returning.

Room Tip: Avoid a room over the function room, especially if they have a wedding!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear freddy067,

It has been such a delight to read your review following your stay at The Abbey and it’s wonderful that you hope to return.

I am particularly pleased that you were impressed with our new breakfast standards as many other guests have also noticed this recently, and it clearly shows that the quality has improved which was our aim.

I am also delighted that you found your bedroom comfortable, and that the complimentary bottled water, dressing gowns and slippers were appreciated.

Thank you once again and I hope you’ll visit us again soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Out stay at The Abbey was perfect.... Our room was amazing with fantastic views. We booked a standard double and based on the reviews rang up as asked to be in the 3rd floor in the old part.... It was incredible, far better than I oils have expected. Very close to the centre of town and if you go be sure to check out mac and jacs cafe next door, the food is great (especially the sharif board)

• Stayed July 2014
Dear A login name,

Thank you for sharing your experience of The Abbey and for the great review!

We always look forward to welcoming guests to the hotel, so it is wonderful to read that your stay with us was “perfect”.

I do hope you had a pleasant onward journey and I hope you’ll visit Malvern and The Abbey once again to take advantage of the fantastic views in our town.

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We picked this hotel for its setting but had we known that at least two coach loads of travellers were staying at the same time we would have looked elsewhere..The staff were polite and Gabriel in the restaurant was extremely helpful but very few tables to pick to sit when hotel so full at times we wanted..The evening food was very good but breakfast was more for a two star hotel..Tinned fruit instead of fresh..hard eggs..and basic sausages etc..Room was excellent in the old part but no air conditioning but windows opened..A fan was in the room..Bed comfortable but pillows hard..More like a three start hotel..

Room Tip: Avoid times with coach parties if having evening meal option..
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear luxurylover53,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review and also for the concerns you have mentioned. Feedback is greatly appreciated and is constantly monitored in order for us to improve the service and facilities that we provide.

We have very recently made changes to our breakfast standards; in particular we have improved and increased the choice on the cold section of the breakfast buffet and this has been extremely well received.

I am sorry to read that you found your pillows to be uncomfortable and you were disappointed the hotel doesn’t have air conditioning. We do of course offer alternative pillows for guests if required, and all bedrooms are provided with a fan.

I will be sure to pass your kind comments onto Gabriel who will be delighted that his polite and attentive service has been recognised.

I do hope you’ll choose to stay with us again in the future.

UK
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Lovely hotel - great location and some fab views of the Abbey. Breakfast was also great and the staff were really helpful. No complaints at all really - the room was decent, the bed comfy and we slept really well - despite a wedding party happening a few yards from our room (which the staff were keen to tell us about - which was considerate). All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear EG,

Thank you for posting this lovely review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at the Abbey Hotel.

Breakfast plays such an important part of our guests’ overall enjoyment, so I was delighted you thought it was a great.

Also, thank you about your positive comments about our staff. I will certainly pass on your comments to our team, who will be happy to know their good service is valued and appreciated.

I do hope you’ll choose to stay with us again soon.

Kind regards,

Orpington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Upon arrival I thought I had arrived at the wrong hotel. I was staying at the Abbey Hotel on business for two nights and I can say I would happily stay here again.

My colleague's room was good with a lovely view into the distance, but my room had views of the church directly out my window which was beautiful. At certain times in the day you could hear a faint chiming of the bells, which was not a problem in the slightest. I also had a huge bed which was very comfy. The pillows were a bit firm, there were about 10 pillows on my bed but unfortunately all were very firm. Still got a great night's sleep though. There is no A/C but there is a fan in each room which is quite powerful so was enough to cool it down, considering the windows do not really open.

The staff were very helpful and accomodating. As simple as it is, they were always smiling which makes a difference. There was one lady however that was a bit abrupt and when you asked something she made it seem like it was a bit of an inconvenience to her. Nonetheless I cant really fault the service.

The food in the restaurant was good, I had the steak one night and it was a rather large portion. I felt bad that I had wasted most of it. The breakfast was good, plenty of choice. The best food was at lunch we had a buffet in the downstairs dining area and I had the beef bourginion. This was lovely.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel but request room 323 if possible.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Maria S,

Thank you for writing a review and for highlighting the fantastic location and beautiful scenery we are fortunate enough to have here in Malvern.

I am pleased you found your bedroom comfortable and you enjoyed the food served during your visit. I must say, our Chefs’ beef bourguignon is also one of my favourites!

I am however, disappointed that you encountered a staff member who didn’t meet our usual exceptional levels of customer service. Please accept my apologies.

I do hope you’ll take the opportunity to visit The Abbey again, whether for business or pleasure.

Kind regards,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

GOOD POINTS: Beautiful setting, on eastern side of Malvern Hills, wonderful views across the Vale of Severn to Cotswolds and of the Malvern Ridge above to the west. Very close to town centre but on a no through road so quiet. Copious car parking. Lovely bedroom and public rooms. Good full English breakfast and considering it is a hot buffet service, not too dried up. Good support service by waiting staff. All staff very friendly and helpful. Booking and billing all very smooth.
QUIBBLES: We prefer freshly cooked breakfast, but not if it means waiting too long, which given the busyness of the restaurant we might have had to do. The only real down side was the temperature of the large restaurant room at breakfast - far too hot. Air conditioning greatly needed. If we hadn't managed to get a table by a window which opened (and which had a beautiful view of the Priory!) it would have been very uncomfortable. The restaurant is also large and rather barn-like, however the bar and lounges where bar food is available would allow more intimate dining. The only other quibble is that with softened water in the rooms, the cost of bottled water from the hotel is way too high - the answer to which is go to Iceland!
OVERALL: Strong good points great outweigh the quibbles. We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for east side if you want a view across the Vale of Severn to Cotswolds; west side if you want a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Seagulls_view2014,

Thank you for your recent review of the Abbey Hotel.

I am pleased you found the setting beautiful and enjoyed the views across the Vale and towards the Malvern Hills; we are very lucky to have such a wonderful setting.

I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast. I think that a buffet breakfast with support from the service staff is the best way to ensure all our guests are able to have breakfast at a time that is convenient for them. I am sorry you thought the restaurant was rather barn like and hot. As you point out we do not have air conditioning but we should have opened the windows to help keep the temperature at more comfortable level.

I am pleased that overall you thought the good points outweighed the quibbles and delighted you would stay again.

Best regards,

Duncan Grey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malvern
Mount Pleasant Hotel
Bank House Hotel, Spa & Golf, BW Premier Collection
Stanbrook Abbey Hotel
Stanbrook Abbey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Callow End

Been to The Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!