“No we can't rather than yes we can”

The Scene Bistro at Malvern Theatres
Ranked #54 of 98 Restaurants in Malvern
Price range: US$24 - US$47
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Scene Bistro offers light lunches and snacks to varied evening meals using a delicious range of seasonal, locally sourced produce; Wye Valley Brewery, Knights Cider, The Cheese Cellar and Holywell Spring Water, just to name a few local suppliers. Open daily from 10AM, lunches are served from 12 Noon and the dinner menu is available from 5:30PM. Afternoon tea served between 12PM-4PM including sumptuous scones, jam and clotted cream, chocolate brownies and sandwiches.
Malvern, United Kingdom
“No we can't rather than yes we can”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Awful lampshades , decor has no charm ,same as service which is slow ,long wait for food . After 4 visits never again . It's a great location and could be fab a another Malvern let down

• Visited July 2013

Hoarwithy, United Kingdom
“Excellent service. Shame about the food!”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

The staff were pleasant, welcoming, attentive and helpful............and that is where the praise ends.

We have eaten here before and enjoyed an excellent meal but the same could not be said about this meal! I had the pork which was dry, a tablespoonful of parsnip and potato mash, which tasted only of potato, and a desertspoonful of cabbage. The whole meal was bland and lacking in seasoning. My husband had the beef stew which looked like something out of a tin and which was again bland and under seasoned. Why, when vegetables are so cheap, are they served in such meagre portions? Not only was the food tasteless but the quantity was insufficient to feed anyone over the age of seven. A larger portion of vegetables would at least leave diners satisfied.

For the quantity and quality of the food it seemed rather overpriced. I only hope that this was a one off. The venue and the diners deserve better.

• Visited January 2014
Mailhac, France
“Extremely disappointing”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Never been to a restaurant where they ran out of eggs and had to go to the local shop in order to fulfil my starter and it took then 25 mins to tell us. My husbands main although tasty was cold my main should have been pan fried chicken breast - rubbery and tastless it had been in a microwave, this was a real disappointment but fortunately Blood Brothers made up for it.

The staff accepted that the food and service was substandard and tried to make amends through apologies and without discussion they already had taken off the bill the starters and the one main course.

Clearly this was an attempt to rectify things it did not make up for things.

Would I eat there again ....... NO Could I recommend it to anyone, not in all conscience it is sad as this could be a wonderful experience with your theatre trip

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Lindy N
Malvern, United Kingdom
“Dire avoid at all costs”
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

As an example of the"bistro" the only set menu available had bread and butter as a starter. The food was very poor with tasteless sausages served with bisto gravy granules. The apple crumble wasn't a crumble but tinned apples with broken biscuits over top. The atmosphere was that of a cafe which is what it should be sold as. It's about as much a bistro as macdonalds is a Michelin restaurant. On the plus side the waiter was really good, welcoming and did his best but we won't be back and with such better alternatives for pre theatre restaurants in malvern we made a big mistake on this occasion.

Visited December 2013
Worcester, United Kingdom
“bland bland bland”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We ate at the bistro on Saturday night. The potato and cheese croquettes tasted of potato but there wasn't the slightest hint of cheese and it was a very small portion. I had the fish pie. Teeny, teeny, tiny portion for £11.00. Lots of fish bones and skin in the little pot. Yuk.The waitress asked me what I thought of it so I told her that I thought it was rather poor. She seemed to take this personally. Apparently fish pie always has lots of bones and skin in it.Well that was me told! We were also given the table nearest the door. Even with the new winter entrance taking away some of the freezing blast ,when the foyer doors open ,it was an unpleasantly chilly experience.We are going back to the theatre for a concert on Thursday evening. I had booked a table at the bistro. I have cancelled it.

• Visited November 2013