All reviewssteak and ale piethe pubwell behaved dogson arrivalgood sizelandlordkempseymerlotlabradorbeams
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Very welcoming ,our room was in the top and had sloping ceilings which was very low but for us it gave more character.Would reccomend for a romantic getaway. Food in the restaurant was piping hot and absoloutley delicious. Our very fussy daughter met us for dinner and had steak, she said it was so tasty and tender.The fire was a welcome as we had been out walking all day and were quite wet and cold.The locals were very friendly and chatted away to our daughter about Malvern.Could choose what time we wanted our breakfast which was great no rigid times.
Would highly reccomend this to anyone wanting a friendly quaint place to stay while visiting Malvern.

Room Tip: Top room if you want a quaint romantic room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Great little pub, very quiet and has a great atmaosphere. The hospitality is by far the best part and the food is great also. There are some great cask ales and its great value for money! Definatly recomend this place as i will be staying more often!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
WalterdeCantelupeInn, Owner at Walter de Cantelupe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Thank you so much for your comments which I share with the staff. We are particularly grateful to receive genuine appreciation from satisfied guests which indicates we are ' doing the right thing'. We're looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Martin Lloyd-Morris

Reviewed 23 March 2012

This is a lovely inn situated close to Great Malvern and was my final stop of the week.

My room was in the converted attic and had everything i required including free wi-fi. However, if you are a six footer like myself, you have to look out for low beams and doorways (ouch!)

After completing the regular round of paperwork, I went down to eat in the bar at 8.30pm, passing the chef who was on his way out. He had obviously finished for the day even though it clearly states that food is available until 9pm. The landlord kindly offered to knock me something together and was able to provide some delicious rare roast beef sandwiches and a bowl of chips. Whilst not the selection I would have made from a very tempting menu, it was much appreciated. I just wish I had been informed the chef would be leaving early.

The bar and pub are excellent and thankfully free of sports TV and fruit machines, juke boxes, etc. The locals and the host are very friendly and the beer is superb. Being a Free House, they offer a good selection of real ale, all of which is well kept and conditioned beautifully.

I had opted for the continental breakfast which, if I'm honest, was a little disappointing, being simply cereal and toast with coffee and juice (although yoghurt and fruit were available too)

Would I return. Without a doubt, I would just double check on times to eat first!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
WalterdeCantelupeInn, Owner at Walter de Cantelupe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Many thanks for your review after your stay. Comments both positive and negative are useful to everyone running a hostelry, of any size, and is especially welcome from experienced travellers. I have taken note of the points mentioned which are already benifitting subsequent guests.

If vacant, you must stay in 'Gold Room' on your next visit. It has a super king-size bed and no low beams.

Very much look forward to welcoming you back to Worcestershire and Walter de Cantelupe Inn

Martin Lloyd-Morris

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Called at this pub en-route from Devon to Leeds today just in time for a delicious lunch. Had read about the Walter in a good pub guide so didn't come across it by accident. On the face of it a small nondescript little place, the only menu on view was for a Burn's Night in January?! However, once inside we were presented with a lunch menu by a very chatty bar person. The menu is quite compact, more choice in the evening, we ordered Malvern Sausage and mash, which came with red onion gravy, and steak and ale pie, served with choice of potatoes and delicious al dente vegetables. Everything was served piping hot and extremely tasty. The total cost with a couple of drinks was under £25.00 very good value for money. Look forward to visiting again when in the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I have stayed at the Walter de Cantelupe Inn a couple of times now when travelling on business. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The food is excellent and there are usually some good real ales on offer. It is conveniently located for activities in Great Malven and surroundings. They have free WiFi which, when I used it, was fast and reliable.
The bar and locals are friendly and I have had several enjoyable evenings there.
They are not open for food or drink on Monday evenings - there is, however, a pub (The Talbot) just over the road where you can get a drink and a bite to eat. But the food in the Walter is much better!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business