“Pleasant stay in Central Location”
Review of Fownes Hotel

Fownes Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Worcester
Sussex
“Pleasant stay in Central Location”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Stayed 2 nights over weekend last month with my wife to watch the Rugby. Booked direct with hotel & cost of £57 per night including full English breakfast ( plenty of choice & fresh )& free parking excellent value for money. Just 2 mins walk from town. Yes it looks a bit tired but plenty of hot water, clean sheets, soft mattress and a window you can open for real fresh air. The only minor down side is the receptionist when we arrived ( she may not like her job or customers ) but as the first person you meet I wish she would smile and be welcoming!!. Notwithstanding that I would recommend this hotel

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank minesabeer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013

On checkin we were greeted by a very pleasant receptionist,who checked us in swiftly with excellent directions to our room,
The room was 210 on the 1st floor, the room was large with twin beds also 2 desks and 3 chairs, a large modern LCD TV with all freeview channels.Room ensuite with a large bathroom.
Had a bar meal on one evening, which was very taste and served by friendly staff at about average price.
The hotel looked clean, but could do with redecoration as it looks a bit "Tired".

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sol1951
Leeds
Reviewed 27 April 2013

The staff upon arrival were polite and gave good instructions on how to find my room, which is just as well as it is rather labyrinthine. I found my room to be clean and bright, if a little warm, but that was easily remedied by opening the window. The room was facing the courtyard and so was quite quiet, even though the hotel is next to the dual carriageway.
The furniture in the room was a little tired, but perfectly serviceable. The bed however was a little short - I am 5"10' and my feet hung off the end of the bed. It was comfortable though. The shower had a fixed head which wasn't ideal.
Breakfast was tasty and there was plenty of choice. Reception was very friendly upon check out and enquired after my stay. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the courtyard
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We had our wedding here September 2012 after the deposit was payed we did all the planning and had to chase the wedding planner on the day things went wrong after we came back off honeymoon we tried to complain 5 times our emails and letters were all ignored no one at the hotel could tell us who owned it we lost a lot of our wedding bits and the evening buffet was put out and taken away within half an hour most people hadn't arrive we had payed for that only assume the staff ate it or it went in the bin .we are now at a loss what to do as no one will listen to us .my advice is don't consider it for anything they don't give a dam about the customers ,there customer service is so bad if I owned this hotel I would be ashamed ,(they will read this and not care either !) in this climate you think they would want business I don't think so !

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank pippamary1959

Travellers are raving about these Worcester hotels

Bideford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I have stayed here twice on business, booked through my company. On the first occasion I was given the Stewart Suite. On first appearance it looked very nice with a Jacuzzi bath, bidet etc but only 1 jet was working in the bath and it was so noisy it was deafening, the paint was peeling off all the woodwork and the net curtains were blowing though the windows were shut. You can hear everything going on in other rooms I thought there was a plumber working throughout the night, banging the pipes above. The hotel food is not very good at all. I ordered nacho's to start which were full of soot as they had burned under the heat. I then ordered the beef wellington, expecting a decent meal. The meat was stringy and grey, it looked boiled. It had a slice of slimy tomato!?! and horrid pate and then I could not believe my eyes, it was wrapped in numerous sliced of boiled ham !!??!! then wrapped in pastry. I could not eat it and informed the waitress that I did not like it. She seemed aghast that I should not like it then stomped off to get the chef, I was then asked to explain myself as to what was wrong with it. We had received our starter and main course in under half an hour. The chef said he would make us another meal of our choice and we looked at the menu again. The waitress seemed to be avoiding us and it took almost 2 further hours to receive an unusually sweet chicken breast dish and a nice sticky toffee pudding. An awful experience I would not want to repeat and have passed on my views to my company as other colleagues have had very similar stays.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Lynda G
Cardiff
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We went to Worcester for the weekend to meet up with several old friends for a bit of a reunion and were most impressed with the quality and quantity of the food and the comfort and cleanliness of the rooms. Yes, the decor is a little tired, but we don't spend much time looking at wallpaper. We meet up with these particular friends at least once a year and the venue has varied all over Britain. The staff at the Fownes were incredibly polite and willing to help - two of our friends were amazed that their suitcases were taken to their rooms whilst we met up for a drink in the bar - it is a long time since we have seen that sort of service. The breakfasts were faultless and substantial and the evening three course dinners were delicious. Plenty of hot water, lovely thick towels, boxes of tissues and toiletries.

We liked it so much we are going back - and this time there will be more, a lot more, of us.

Room Tip: There are some creaky floors - it is an old glove factory - if you are a light sleeper ask for one w...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank bardsgirl
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I really don't know where to begin! Having traveled extensively I can honestly say I have never stayed in such an appalling hotel as the Fownes in Worcester. I was in Worcester for a week long training course with exam on the Friday morning. Right from the start I should have known things would not go well at this hotel (previously a glove factory). I was met with a receptionist who had the most awful and miserable manner. Things got progressively worse when I was asked to put £500 on my credit card to pay for the week long accommodation which was already paid for by the travel Company we use. This request persisted for 2 days until I had to sort it out with the Travel Company direct. My room was freezing cold which matched the freezing temperatures outside. My room had 3 huge factory windows which were so draughty the net curtains were blowing freely despite the windows being closed! The radiator was freezing cold and the manager had to come up to sort it. My bathroom was also extremely cold having another large draughty factory window in it. The bathroom towel rail (only form of heating) would only half heat up! The hairdryer in the bathroom is positively ancient - bring your own. I booked a double bedroom (expecting a double bed) but was given 3 x single beds!!! On the Wednesday night I was woken up at 2.30am but the people in the room upstairs crashing around moving their furniture about!!! The next night was worse with 2 ladies having moved into the room above me who decided that from 7.00pm onwards they were going to have a party. Amongst other things I was subjected to their horrendous rendition of "I'm in the mood for dancing". Reception said they would ask them to stop. Finally at 9.00pm I complained to Reception again who did actually phone the ladies who apologised, were quiet for 30 mins and then started up again. It was totally impossible for me to revise and carry out the mock exams I had been set. Although my bed linen and the very dated bathroom were clean the whole hotel had a very tired and had a grubby feel to it. Breakfasts were OK but someone had taken the dispensing knob off one of the cereal dispensers so the knob had to be transferred from one dispenser to another if you wanted the Cornflakes! The hot water boiler for tea was broken yet the staff kept putting it out each morning instead of providing hot water flasks - bizarre! A freezing cold cup of tea with breakfast is not acceptable. Unfortunately when I tried to check out a different but equally miserable Receptionist tried to bill me £500 for hotel accommodation that I previously sorted out and didn't have to pay myself. (I notice that another Reviewer had the same problem). To add insult to injury she also billed me £3.00 extra for the Lamb Burger. The price on the room menu is £9.50 but at Reception they had a menu showing £11.50! All of this resulted in a heated and upsetting situation which caused me to have an asthma attack on my way to the exam. I will never stay at The Fownes again and other people on the course who had been to Worcester before said they would never stay there, as Worcester has much better hotels in the City Centre. I have advised our Travel Company of this appalling hotel as it is totally unsuitable if you are trying to have a peaceful stay whilst on a training course. The whole experience left me feeling totally exhausted, upset and desperate to get away from what is otherwise a beautiful and interesting city.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Wasessa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Worcester
Worcester Whitehouse Hotel
Bank House Hotel, Spa & Golf, BW Premier Collection
The Abbey Hotel
The Abbey Hotel
#5 of 10 in Malvern

Been to Fownes Hotel? Share your experiences!