“Lovely Stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Worcester
stoke on trent
“Lovely Stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed at this hotel from Friday 29th Nov for two nights. On arrival reception staff very friendly, logged our car details so that we could use their car park, and wander off, as we had arrived quite early, and before check in. Later at check, staff very friendly and helpful. Room was well decorated, and furnished, warm, cosy and clean. The biggest bath I have ever seen in my life, and fantastically hot water!!

Breakfast was plentiful, lots of choice and hot. The only comment I would make is that the dining is quite small, and would struggle to seat large numbers at any one time, and please provide tea pots to make a pot of tea, rather than a hot water urn and a tea bag!

We did not eat in the restaurant in the evening, so are not able to comment on that. Too much choice of restaurants in town!!

Our room was very near to the function room, and there were parties on both nights, so we did get the noise from the disco, but we were so tired it didn't bother us, but light sleepers may struggle.

Looked liked it had recently been repainted, as the smell of fresh paint in the hallways was very apparent, and everywhere was very clean.

Overall, a lovely stay, a fantastic hotel and would definitely recommend and will be returning.

Room Tip: room 208 on a corner, nice big room, but overlooks function room,so may get some lat night noise
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Telford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed here with a Groupon discount earlier in the year, the booking process was a nightmare, once I mentioned Groupon I was told that the dates I wanted were not available. So I went on there website found the date I wanted and called back, this time omitting the Groupon until the last possible moment........the receptionist wasn't impressed and said I should have mentioned the Groupon code first......but at least I got the dates I wanted. Also asked for a twin room twice, but had a feeling she wasn't paying attention, which was correct because when I got there they had booked me in for a double room. Fortunately the manager on the day rectified this and I was given the twin room I booked.
There is two parts to this hotel, the beautiful building and the lovely main areas, then the tired looking rooms and bathrooms that have seen better days.
The room was large and spacious, the beds were clean and comfortable, but the bathroom vinyl floor was ripped and the grouting in the bath needed re-doing.....or bleaching clean!
They must have recently changed the tv's from CRT to flatscreen, because there was a dirty stain where the heat from the CRT had dis-coloured the wallpaper.
Sadly the location is poor, you either have one of Worcester's busiest roads to the front or a light industrial area behind, beware they start early, not good if you fancy a lie in beyond 8am!
There is a small carpark, but it was full when we arrived so we parked at the multi storey nearby.
Worcester is sadly lacking in good quality, reasonably priced hotels and I feel that with a major refrub and some double or triple glazing, due to it's central location this hotel could be one of the better Worcester city places to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank WorcesterExile
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

We use this hotel regularly for meetings, dinners and occasional overnight stays. I have god to know the staff over the years who have always provided for our needs. The meals and service have been reliable. The hotel is two minutes walk from the centre with ample parking and a variety of rooms.

Room Tip: I recommend the suites.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

The Fownes Hotel was formerly a glove factory and after WW2 my grandfather was actually a manager at the factory which finally closed in 1974 and then lay derelict for years until finally being turned into a hotel. Unfortunately it is looking very run down and is in dire need of renovation. From the worn out reception desk, shabby lifts and broken furniture (in my room at least) some TLC is long overdue.

If you are on business or just like to keep in touch with home, be aware that they charge a ridiculous £4 per hour, £5 per day or £40 per fortnight for WIFI and worst of all on most hotel sites they mention that they have WIFI but do not mention that they charge. The company they use to provide the internet service blocks most normal sites, even the National Lottery site is blocked as it is gambling!!!

Another penny pinching negative with this hotel is that they turn off the heating during the day even though during my stay it was around 3 degrees outside. They must think everybody is not going to use their room during the daytime. The heating comes back on at around 4pm.

The floorboards in the bathroom are some of the creakiest I have experienced and generally the hotel can be likened to a old creaking galley ship.

The staff are generally very helpful and seemingly under pressure and stretched at times. I was woken by the cleaners singing at the top of their voices at 8.45 on Sunday morning.

The beds are extremely soft and left me with an aching back. The rooms do get cleaned properly, there is a trouser press, hair dryer, complimentary coffee and tea in the rooms together with a flat screen tv. Parking is free of charge for guests, but I was amazed that the hotel is plastered outside with numerous ugly yellow plaques informing non guests they will be charged £100 if they are caught parking there!

This hotel with the right management and investment could be the cities jewel in the crown. We do not really have any decent hotels of any size in the Centre of Worcester other than the Whitehouse and the soon to be opened Premier Inn at Worcestershire Cricket Ground.

The only thing going for Fownes at the moment is the free parking!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Walsall, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I'll start by saying I was expecting the worst after reading bad reviews
But hey it was ok
1 review said reception staff were rude! I speak as I find and I found them pleasant and helpful, but that said I treat people with respect! some people think they're above others and look down........
Definitely in need of decorating which to be fair I think it's in process
Bit dated but clean, Fairly comfy beds.
Buffet breakfast superb that said coffee was yuk,
But if your looking for town centre proximity this is the 1
Will definitely stay again

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daren j
Gorleston-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I always stay at the Travelodge when I visit Worcester and thought this time I would try somewhere different. The entrance lounge gives the impression of a quality hotel but this doesn't last. In the stairwell was an untidy mess of seat covers from the outside patio chairs. There was no lift to the second floor, the location of my bedroom, so I had to climb two flights of stairs with a bulky case. My room was spacious and clean, however the bathroom certainly left alot to be desired. The flooring (?Lino) did not fit the room and there was a large hole in it by the toilet. I ate one dinner in the restaurant, whilst the food was delicious the service needs improving. At £140 for a two night room only stay I was disappionted and won't be returning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

My wife and I had cause to stay at the Fownes Hotel on a business trip and I have to say that the experience wasn't great. Even though they knew we were committed from 1.30 they wouldn't allow us to check in at 1.00 - we were 'too early'. And it took us to suggest that there might be somewhere we could leave our luggage until we were able to check in. There was certainly no offer to see if the room might be ready. In fact we interacted with Reception a couple of times more - the only good experience was checking out!
When a room is costing something like £150 a night I think it a little rich to then want to charge a further £5 for Wi-Fi access - surely that should be a part of the service.
The room was reasonable - though the bed was pretty well the softest I have ever slept on. That's OK if you like a soft bed - I don't.
I won't be hurrying back and would probably look for somewhere else to stay next time we are in Worcester.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business