“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Worcester
IOM
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Lovely characterful hotel, pleasant staff and good service, nice food.
Breakfast nice but very over priced at £8.50 per head and there was also no hairdryer in the room which for a hotel of this standard I thought was strange, but will stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Food excellent, staff very friendly, alcohol very expensive. I got a shock at the price of two glasses of wine. I would have bought further rounds if cheaper as in other hotels. A pity they lost out. Very handy for city. We found the room spacious and comfy. Possibly ready for a lick of paint outside

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Qualicum Beach
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless desperate for a poor room. Charges for Internet, credit card, anything else they can charge for. If you are on the ground floor 105-111 your room is adjacent to the entry walk way covered awning. It's where the smokers gather at all times of the day, drunk or sober. The very young staff are powerless to control this, fact is they don't try to. Room was typically cold even though radiator was tuned to highest. Reason being couldn't keep up with the draft coming through the poor fitting single pane windows. Noise level from main road that is only 10 feet from your window if on ground flood is impossible to deal with even with ear plugs. My bed cover was dirty and when I asked for a clean one was told no housekeeping. I asked to be switched rooms and was told that I would have to pay an additional 20 pounds for another room. The large bed was actually 2 single beds pushed together and was extremely uncomfortable.
Rating this very old and poorly run hotel can only give 1/2 star because of the good water pressure shower, first I've had in the UK.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Redrooster52

Travellers are raving about these Worcester hotels

Bingley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed here the first weekend of February 2014. The hotel is very tired looking and would benefit from refurbishment. The staff would benefit from attending a basic course in customer service and to remember that the customer should be central to their business and not treat them like an inconvenience. Everything was too much trouble. In addition to the offhand manner of staff, I left a top in my room which was handed in. The hotel said they would charge me to have it returned, approx £3. The postage on the returned item was £1.20. They charged me £8. I have complained but not had a response. I won't stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rar75
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Breakfast was very good, Alan served it. Lager was off, one pint made us very ill, Alan served it. Reception was helpful, Alan manned it. Room was cold due to radiator not working, Alan fixed it. This man was everywhere and did everything!! He is ace. We were told about a decent pub down the road..... Low and behold..... Alan was there!! You could not make this up, it was the highlight of our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We normally stay in. City boutique hotels and when looking for a hotel I. Worcester centre I could not find one, so we chose the fownes. I was not disappointed ,yes it takes you back in time but it is spotlessly clean, there are reviews on her being really negative to the staff , we did not have issues with the staff at all they were helpful and pleasant. We heard no traffic noise or corridor noise . Rooms were lovely and warm with soft squidgy beds. All in all when we are back in town we will stay at the fownes congratulations to the housekeeping team

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Lovely friendly staff, very chatty and accommodating. Great food, good room service, and great breakfast. Room very spacious everything you need, some of furniture and decor a bit dated but functional, also very clean. Lovely hotel very near to shops and bars, my first time to Worcester some very nice quaint buildings.

My only complaint would be the mattress in my room, a single bed with a mattress that had some sort of button/tie in several places, takes ages to get comfy so you're not lying on any of them. It reminds me of the old mattresses I had when I was a child.

Overall a pleasant stay

Room Tip: Stayed in 230