“A Foreign John Cleese”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Worcester
Sussex
“A Foreign John Cleese”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2009

Horrible, horrible, horrible, never want to stay at "Fawlty Towers" again, the young restaurant staff where pleasant and helpful. But as for the "Manager", a foreign John Cleese and his under Manager "Sibil" were not helpful at all, (when you could find them)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2009

Stayed for one night on 25 August 2009 whilst watching cricket in Worcester.

Got a great rate at the hotel, but I would not pay too much for this hotel.

The service was excellant, the room was large and clean but the hotel is looking quite tired and shabby in places.

I was first allocated a room that overlooked the busy main road and straight away requested a quiet one at the back of the hotel as I was to be out late and wanted a good long nights sleep.

I was re-allocated room 221 by the front desk.

To my horror when I entered the room I have never experienced such noise - within a couple of feet of the window is the most loudest industrial extractor fan I have ever heard.

The fan is louder than a 747 on take-off.

I think it is the extractor fan from the kitchen. I warned reception on my way out that evening that when I returned if the jet engine was still operative I will change room.

On my return at 23.00 all was quiet.

I went to bed but at 06.30 the engine fired up, the whole room shook and the noise was terrible.

I endured the din for an hour, had breakfast and checked out.

Breakfast was £11.95, average but good service and a nice room, it was very quiet when I ate.

WARNING - DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 221 OR INDEED THE ADJACENT ROOM OR THE ROOM ABOVE ON THE NEXT FLOOR - YOU WILL HAVE AN EARLY WAKE UP CAL.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
doncaster england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

had 2 nights at fownes, good central position, ideal for shops, nightlife, hotel tired looking in places but room was clean and tidy, breakfast was sufficient, buffet style and had 1 evening meal in kings restaurant, loved it, service ok all in all a lovely stay, also they are doing some cracking deals,credit crunch prices, booked through booking.com

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2009

This hotel is very well placed for exploring Worcester. The building is lovely. The staff are young and enthusiastic. That's the good news However, the food is really poor. Breakfast is a chaotic experience, the quality of the food produce is not good. I ate out in the evening rather than try the restaurant, as breakfast and lunch had put me off. The management are obviously cutting corners in the kitchen, and it's noticeable. I ordered a glass of white wine at the bar, from the three varieties on offer on the menu. "No, we'only have the house white" - and it was dire.
Room was clean, ok though with tired decor. The old fashioned windows really let the cold in on the windy day we were there - the net curtains moved in the draught.
I'm afraid I wouldn't stay again unless the food management is overhauled.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Worcester hotels

leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

Stayed here for 2 nites from 8 May with a coach party . This was a change from the advertised hotel and the previous reviews were met with trepidation! The hotel is dated and could do with a revamp BUT the bedlinen was spotless and the bathroom likewise- I checked it with a dettol wipe! Our room was very spacious and quiet at night. The staff could not have been more helpful and pleasant. There was a good choice of food and it was well presented and served. I'd say I'm very fussy about cleanliness and yes, poor carpets, paintwork etc. aren't acceptable these days. The owners should put their hands in their pockets as they have a dedicated staff who could teach 4 and 5 star hotels a thing or two. Great location.

• Stayed May 2009
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2009

Old glove factory and the building itself looks fantastic in brochures & the exterior but once inside it's a different matter.
Spacious reception area but unclean,the tiled flooring carrying huge cracks and the windows dirty. Adequate sized bedrooms buy tired with 80's furniture, torn net curtains and dirty bathrooms. The management team conisisted of a rather slack duo - the fat foreigner and his little old 'partner' who ran around like demented chickens at a ball. I was beginning to wonder if we came to Fawlty Towers. We were not surprised to see a group of travellers who were attending a wedding in one of the function rooms and urinating on cars in the car park outside.
I made my reservation with Sandra a foreign woman who spoke little english. She charged me full rack rate for a pokey double room with carpets coming away from the wall, creaky floor boards and not enough room to swing a cat in. We were served in the bar with dirty glasses by a barman who didn't know what he was doing. Was not good enough.
Not good value for money, the premier inn would be better.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2009

Stayed here for two nights. The decor is tired and dated, surprising as this hotel advertises £150pn for a double room. My room was ok sized, but the TV was appauling, the bathroom was grotty and my room was dark. I also made the mistake of ordering room service, the food was uninspired and bland. I had to venture out the next night as I couldn't face it again. Breakfast was a selection of dried out bacon and sausages.

The location is good though if you want to visit Worcester city centre, just across the road, and the staff were friendly, so not all bad.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business