Fownes Hotel
The Crown(Worcester)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsglove factorybuffet breakfastplenty of hot watervisiting worcesterstayed one nightworcester city centreyogurtcathedralpubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Horrible, horrible, horrible, never want to stay at "Fawlty Towers" again, the young restaurant staff where pleasant and helpful. But as for the "Manager", a foreign John Cleese and his under Manager "Sibil" were not helpful at all, (when you could find them)

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2009

Stayed for one night on 25 August 2009 whilst watching cricket in Worcester.

Got a great rate at the hotel, but I would not pay too much for this hotel.

The service was excellant, the room was large and clean but the hotel is looking quite tired and shabby in places.

I was first allocated a room that overlooked the busy main road and straight away requested a quiet one at the back of the hotel as I was to be out late and wanted a good long nights sleep.

I was re-allocated room 221 by the front desk.

To my horror when I entered the room I have never experienced such noise - within a couple of feet of the window is the most loudest industrial extractor fan I have ever heard.

The fan is louder than a 747 on take-off.

I think it is the extractor fan from the kitchen. I warned reception on my way out that evening that when I returned if the jet engine was still operative I will change room.

On my return at 23.00 all was quiet.

I went to bed but at 06.30 the engine fired up, the whole room shook and the noise was terrible.

I endured the din for an hour, had breakfast and checked out.

Breakfast was £11.95, average but good service and a nice room, it was very quiet when I ate.

WARNING - DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 221 OR INDEED THE ADJACENT ROOM OR THE ROOM ABOVE ON THE NEXT FLOOR - YOU WILL HAVE AN EARLY WAKE UP CAL.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2009

had 2 nights at fownes, good central position, ideal for shops, nightlife, hotel tired looking in places but room was clean and tidy, breakfast was sufficient, buffet style and had 1 evening meal in kings restaurant, loved it, service ok all in all a lovely stay, also they are doing some cracking deals,credit crunch prices, booked through booking.com

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2009

This hotel is very well placed for exploring Worcester. The building is lovely. The staff are young and enthusiastic. That's the good news However, the food is really poor. Breakfast is a chaotic experience, the quality of the food produce is not good. I ate out in the evening rather than try the restaurant, as breakfast and lunch had put me off. The management are obviously cutting corners in the kitchen, and it's noticeable. I ordered a glass of white wine at the bar, from the three varieties on offer on the menu. "No, we'only have the house white" - and it was dire.
Room was clean, ok though with tired decor. The old fashioned windows really let the cold in on the windy day we were there - the net curtains moved in the draught.
I'm afraid I wouldn't stay again unless the food management is overhauled.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2009

Stayed here for 2 nites from 8 May with a coach party . This was a change from the advertised hotel and the previous reviews were met with trepidation! The hotel is dated and could do with a revamp BUT the bedlinen was spotless and the bathroom likewise- I checked it with a dettol wipe! Our room was very spacious and quiet at night. The staff could not have been more helpful and pleasant. There was a good choice of food and it was well presented and served. I'd say I'm very fussy about cleanliness and yes, poor carpets, paintwork etc. aren't acceptable these days. The owners should put their hands in their pockets as they have a dedicated staff who could teach 4 and 5 star hotels a thing or two. Great location.

• Stayed: May 2009