“This place is dreadful!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Fownes Hotel

Fownes Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Worcester
Nottingham
“This place is dreadful!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2009

I have had the misfortune of staying at The Fownes twice now, due to travelling to Worcester to attend training courses. So my stays there were not out of choice. I would certainly not pay my own money to stay in this hotel. The staff are miserable and give you the bare minimum of service. On my first stay, last summer, my room was adequate, but not of an acceptably clean standard. Second time around, things were worse. I can honestly say I don't believe my towels or bedlinen were clean. I had to lay my own towel over the pillow as I didn't want to put my head on it!! I smelt horrible. The carpet clearly hadn't been hoovered in months - previous experience taught me to take slippers!!!
Overall, the hotel looks tired, uncared for and shabby. It's such a shame as the building is beautiful, and this hotel could really be something special if only the owners cared enough to want to improve it. I hope a decent hotel chain take it over and give it the makeover it so desperatly needs. So until this happens - DO NOT stay here!!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Gloucester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2009

Very good location. The staff were very helpful and friendly and we got a great rate for the room. Yes, the decor is dated, but we came to Worcester to shop, not to be in our room all weekend and it was very clean. The breakfast was great and the service was excellent. If anything, we found the other guests very rude and ignorant and take our hats off to the staff for remaining civil to some of them!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

Dirty dusty cold but spacious room ,staff that had lost the will to live and just did not want to be there, awful breakfast with soggy toast in a freezing cold dining room, we could not wait to leave. This hotel could be a real gem if the right people owned it.

Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank justfourofusnow

Travellers are raving about these Worcester hotels

Manchester, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

Having read previous reviews on this hotel I was anticipating a horror - but was pleasantly suprised and felt I must be at a different hotel. The reception was clean, light and airy - I couldn't see any of the cracks mentioned by previous reviewers. I found the staff very helpful and was guided to our room by the housekeeper (room 232) this was a pleasant room at the back to the hotel, all very clean and tidy. The furniture is worn but it is old furniture in keeping with the regency style of the room. It certainly wasn't tatty - perhaps previous reviewers didn't get the theme of the room.The bathroom was clean and had some complimentary soap, shower gel and shampoo. My only complaint would be the size of the bath towels - however I yet to find a hotel that does proved adequately sized towels.
The bed was very clean and comfortable and we had a great nights sleep as it was very quiet at the back of the hotel.
Next morning we went for breakfast and found it very pleasant and we were served very quickly with our toast and choice of beverage - everything else is on a self serve buffet and was well presented and hot.
The hotel is in a great position for sightseeign and shopping being only minutes away from the Cathedral, The River and The Friars.
Overall a very pleasant stay and I woudl certainly stop here again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Worcestershire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2009

Went for a meal and the menu was not too bad but I peeked into the kitchen area as the kitchen door was wide open for the abitlity to allow guests to wander in aimlessly only to find the washer up washing the plates by hand as the dishwasher as packed up apparently for months now. This explains the dirty cutlery amongst everything else, I refuse to eat there again unless the hotel is taken over by management that actually cares for the service provided to the guests. It's diabolical. The kitchens are filthy and I saw a rat running across the tiled floor!!!! How many people have had food poisoning?

I spoke to a member of the waiting staff who commented that they are not being paid wages each week.

With the state of the bedrooms and public areas I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, go to the travel lodge for comfort.

• Stayed July 2009
Sussex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2009

Horrible, horrible, horrible, never want to stay at "Fawlty Towers" again, the young restaurant staff where pleasant and helpful. But as for the "Manager", a foreign John Cleese and his under Manager "Sibil" were not helpful at all, (when you could find them)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2009

Stayed for one night on 25 August 2009 whilst watching cricket in Worcester.

Got a great rate at the hotel, but I would not pay too much for this hotel.

The service was excellant, the room was large and clean but the hotel is looking quite tired and shabby in places.

I was first allocated a room that overlooked the busy main road and straight away requested a quiet one at the back of the hotel as I was to be out late and wanted a good long nights sleep.

I was re-allocated room 221 by the front desk.

To my horror when I entered the room I have never experienced such noise - within a couple of feet of the window is the most loudest industrial extractor fan I have ever heard.

The fan is louder than a 747 on take-off.

I think it is the extractor fan from the kitchen. I warned reception on my way out that evening that when I returned if the jet engine was still operative I will change room.

On my return at 23.00 all was quiet.

I went to bed but at 06.30 the engine fired up, the whole room shook and the noise was terrible.

I endured the din for an hour, had breakfast and checked out.

Breakfast was £11.95, average but good service and a nice room, it was very quiet when I ate.

WARNING - DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 221 OR INDEED THE ADJACENT ROOM OR THE ROOM ABOVE ON THE NEXT FLOOR - YOU WILL HAVE AN EARLY WAKE UP CAL.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo