“Much better than I thought it was going to be!”
Review of Ye Olde Talbot

Ye Olde Talbot
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Worcester
Reviewed 30 April 2011

Again another trip arranged with our Tesco vouchers. The hotel is situated on the corner of Friar street. My first impression of the modern elavation as we drove past the hotel with it on our right was that it looked rather like the "Jockey Pub" from the series "Shamless!

However as we turned into Friar street I realised that this was obviously an alteration that had probably been made to widen the road that runs past the hotel. The rest of the building is very historic.

We had two rooms 15 and 21 I seem to remember? One even had a four poster bed.
The rooms were clean with good linen and towels and the hot water supply was fine in both bathrooms.

The staff were polite and efficient. The bar is open to the public and there was a good atmosphere whilst my daughter and I watched the Man Utd/City semi final.

Before watching the football we had walked along the canal towpath to the Diglis basin and down to the river Severn. We stopped at the Pub by the lock and sat in the rear garden and watched the narrow boats going through the lock.

Later we walked along Friar street to seek out a restaurant to eat in that evening, there are a lot of eating venues close to the hotel. However we did our usual trick of spotting a nice looking shop and asking the owner where they eat out locally. We chose the art gallery and the owner told us that he had heard very good reports of a new Italian called Benidicto's which turned out to be diagonally opposite our hotel.

We eat at Benidicto's and I must say could not fault anything in fact it's probably in my top three of anywhere I've ever eaten! This is a very busy place booking is essential!

Friar street is busy at the weekend, noise pretty much all night until about 4am. I can see that this might annoy some visitors? In the morning we had breakfast in the bar/restaurant, we had no complaints other than the dishes that one of my daughter wanted had all gone. ( that'll teach her to get out of bed earlier next time!)

We really couldn't fault the hotel, parking is right next door in the multi storey @ £12 per day. We were due to stay two nights but were struggling to find something to keep all of us entertained in Worcester. So we checked out and drove to Stratford on Avon and had a look at Anne Hathaways cottage before spending the afternoon at the race course.

Entrance for the children was free, parking just £3 and entrance for my wife and I £12 each I think? But the best part was we backed more winners than losers and came back in profit! - begineers luck I guess?

If you've never been racing it is a good day out get there early and take a picnic!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank fishermanjon
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2011

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at our hotel.
We do value all comments good and bad and take great pride in offering the best possible experience for all our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Ye Olde Talbot or one of other Old English Inns very soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2011

The check-in process was a bit of a joke - there was a queue of about six of us waiting to check in separately- each person was asked for payment, and each person in turn had to point out that the room had been pre-paid through a booking site or (in my case) through an employer's corporate travel booking agency. Everyone was finally allowed to check in but it took ages.

The room and ensuite were large and clean - a bit dated, could use a lick of paint here and there, but perfectly acceptable for the price. However, the door is of the flimsy, hollow, internal variety with only a push-button lock. Extremely insecure, especially considering that, after 10 pm, there is no night receptionist or porter and access from outside is through another flimsy-seeming door that could very easily be left unlatched by an inebriated or careless guest or even forced open by someone with bad intentions, as it's hidden inside a dark courtyard, away from street view, giving a criminal plenty of time and privacy to work. After I fell asleep, I found myself startled awake by every little sound - I was genuinely frightened.

Dinner - the restaurant served exact;y the same menu as every other Greene King Pub - basically pub grub ready meals - frozen burgers, frozen pre-battered fish, etc. Maybe a step up from Wetherspoon's in quality. Definitely about ten steps up in price. Avoid, avoid, avoid. If you like chain restaurants, there is Nando's across the street and a Cafe Rouge a few hundred yards away that would be much better choices. Better still, try Puccini's Pizza or the lovely Thai restaurant, both in lovely old Tudor buildings just a few steps away.

Finally, the highlight of the stay - breakfast. Gorgeous, clean, well-presented buffet of fresh fruit and pastries, three different kinds of juice, cereal, yogurt, and real butter and adorable little jars of Tiptree jams and honey. And as if that weren't enough, you have your choice of freshly-prepared hot breakfasts - everything from full English to Eggs Benedict to kippers to fresh omelets with your choice of fillings. Absolutely wonderful and amazing considering this hotel averages about £60 per night. I've stayed in places costing four times that which didn't touch this breakfast in terms of abundance and quality. I saw the cook pop her head around the corner, she looked like my adorable white-haired gran in spotless chefs whites. I wanted to give her a hug.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2011

Reviewed 14 March 2011

Stayed one night, last minute decision, as said before, for the money paid £45 b&b double room, food was excellent, staff friendly, location couldn't be better, only downside is exhorbitant NCP car park charge £12 a night, cheaper ones a short distance away.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2011

Reviewed 13 March 2011

Nicely situated in the centre of town. The room was decent and the staff friendly. The food was typical pub grub but was delicious and I would heartily recommend the fish n chips.
One problem I did have was a door constantly being banged closed underneath my room (4) It wasn't a problemon a night but during the say it was annoying.
Overall though, a decent stay

• Stayed: March 2011
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2011

Reviewed 17 January 2011

Lovely old hotel, but the rooms are very modern. We only stayed for 1 night but we had a really great time. The hotel is very close to everything, really close to the cathederal, shops, pubs etc. unfortunately while we were there they had run out of some of the food off the menu beccuase of the adverse weather and Bank Holidays, but the staff couldn't be more apologetic and we still had a great meal, even if some weren't our first choice. Breakfast was fab. The room was a little noisy in the morning ie delivery vans etc but we did have our window open so our fault really. But all in all if you don't expect too much this hotel will excell.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 December 2010

Decent food and some good beers and whiskies. Nice fire in the bar in cold weather. Worth a try.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Ideally situated in the heart of beautiful worcester this quaint pub style accomodation pretty much offers what you would expect for £55 PPPN. Watch out for the increased parking charges at the local NCP car park they recently shot up from £5 per overnight stay to £15. There is nowhere else to park within comfortable walking distance (when dragging a suitcase). Unless your lucky enough to get one of the few street spaces. The rooms would benefit from air con (even a fan would be nice). But otherwise they are clean, tidy and not too small for one or two nights. Overall, considering the average inflated prices for staying in Worcester you could do a lot worse than this place.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business