“cozy old english inn”
Review of Ye Olde Talbot

Ye Olde Talbot
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Worcester
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Ye Olde Talbot is very centrally located in Worcester, a 2 minute walk from the Cathedral. Rooms are what you expect from an old Inn. Not huge, no big Luxury but has all you need for a few nights. Rooms have coffee/tea maker, flat screen TV and free Wireless. For breakfast you have a choice of 8 or so different hot meals. and a few cold bits. Quality of breakfast is very good. Can't judge the quality of food served in the pub. Nice selection of bitters and very nice staff. Would go back there.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ralf_Stephanie
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Thank-you for your recent review we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay I will pass your comments onto all the team who will be pleased to hear your thoughts

We hope to see you again in the near future

Reviewed 11 November 2012

Just stayed at Ye Olde Talbot this Saturday for 1 night to enjoy an evening in Worcester.Arrived at the hotel and had a quick drink in the bar before checking in.The bar was lively and we were informed that there was a 45 min wait for food.This was good as many places take your order then tell you there is a long wait,so we were able to just have a quick drink,check in and head into town.Our room was excellent;clean, warm and interesting with lots of character,including a four poster bed.The view into Friar Street added to the period charm,and the location close to the bars,restaurants and shops is great.The breakfast menue was varied and offered lots of choice,much better than the standard Full English only.We found the staff friendly and attentative and would deffinately reccomend a stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Thank-you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass your comments on to all the team who will be happy to hear them. We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 9 November 2012

The danger with reading reviews is that the reviewer can well have a hidden agenda. Their comments can be influenced by many things other than the quality of their experience. Others have champagne tastes, but beer money - expecting 5 star quality at a fraction of the cost.
We needed a room for the night, following our son's graduation. We booked, on his recommendation - which was purely based on the popularity of the hotel locally and it's central location. A few days before arrival, I checked the reviews and wondered if we'd made the right choice............
However, we were genuinely pleased with the accommodation and the food. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, noise wasn't an issue and the breakfast splendid. The hotel met all our requirements at a reasonable price - what more could you ask for?

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback for the Ye Olde Talbot hotel.

All the staff work hard to provide Great service for our guests and it is good that people recognise this and we thank you for your positive feedback I will pass this down to my team.
We strive to continue this high level of service and it is good that people write about the positive aspects as well as the negative ones.

Thank you again from all the team from the Ye Olde Talbot and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 November 2012

Stayed here recently and loved the hotel. The room was pleasant and the staff great - really friendly and helpful. We ate in the bar twice and had excellent service each time. We were served by Richard both times and he was really efficient. The food was delicious too - try the fish and chips as they are delicious. I've read on here a lot of negative reviews but that wasn't our experience at all. The city centre location was perfect for us and the noise was barely an issue

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

We are glad you had a positive experience and hope to welcome you back soon. I will pass this comment onto my staff as they work very hard and a comment like this will make them happy.
Thank you again for the positive feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

First of all, what was good. I'd booked a room here for the night of 30th September as I was in Worcester for a baptism. I arrived on Sunday morning 3 hours ahead of the official check in time, so had rung ahead to see if it would be possible for my room to be ready early. I was very impressed that the manager had made sure that my room was cleaned first so that I could use it to change in. Also the breakfast was great.

Unfortunately this was cancelled out by the room that I was given and generally poor service from reception. The room was on the street side of the hotel, and also right by an enclosed staircase leading from the restaurant to the rooms (a staircase that was completely unnecessary, as there was also another staircase to all rooms) This meant that I was disturbed by people clattering up and down the staircase till about midnight on the Sunday, and even with earplugs in, I was woken at 5am on Monday by what sounded like a beer delivery - nothing like beer barrels crashing into a cellar for a rude awakening! As a result, I got hardly any sleep, so couldn't really enjoy the breakfast.
When I mentioned this to the receptionist as I checked out, she said that the street side was "a nightmare" and half apologised, but didn't address the fact that no one had pointed out at any point how noisy my room would be, so I could choose to switch to a different room. She didn't offer to take any money off the room price, and as I was rushing to catch a train, I didn't have time to argue it with her.

I also completed a survey sent by the hotel's parent company on the day after I stayed. I said how unhappy I was at the service I'd received, and have heard nothing at all from the hotel or its parent company. Contrast this with the service that Premier Inn gives, where you get a full refund if you have a bad night's sleep, and they actually seem to care about the service they provide. The problems are easily fixable - stop using the unnecessary second staircase, tell your guests if a room will be noisy, employ some staff at reception who show some kind of warmth and initiative to solve problems - but as it stands, I wouldn't choose to come here again, and wouldn't recommend the hotel to anyone

Room Tip: Don't stay here! If you must, then make sure you ask for a room that doesn't face the stree...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kme123
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Firstly I would like to thank you for you feedback, we take all comments seriously and strive to improve our service at every opportunity. I am sorry for the poor experience you had and we will be looking to take action on all the points you raised that we have full control over. Once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback and offer our sincere apologies you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed 18 October 2012

We arrived at Talbot on Sunday14th Oct. We unpacked - had to move the bed to open the wardrobe. Put the T.V. on didn't work. Member of staff fiddled with it - told us to pack again and he would find another room for us. When we finished packing again, he rang to say other T.Vs not working so we would have to stay put. Unpacked yet again ! We are 69 and 72 and a T.V is very much part of our stay - we hoped it could be fixed quickly. Not until the end of our 2nd day was it fixed. On our 1st evening lager ran out, 2nd night - no whisky !! Glad to be packing for the 3rd time by Monday. The Manager during all this miserable time at this hotel was conspicuous by his absence - even though he lives on the premises. Never spoke to us or rang us. The young staff did their best but were clearly embarrassed. Our bill was over £200 (which included a meal first night which was very average pub grub) When I questioned why our bill hadn't been reduced was told the problems were not their fault. So then does that mean that if food supplies don't get delivered, that breakfast can still be charged for if not supplied ? Not their fault ! So a T.V is a service to be included in the price. As for using the bar which couldn't supply either - we had to go elsewhere. Never again - only saving grace freshly cooked breakfast.

Room Tip: My tip is go round the corner to the Travel inn for £19 (even more central)you will have a t.v. at...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 195BarbaraG
Reviewed 18 October 2012

When we arrived we were told that we were not booked. We had the booking confirmation and the person on the desk said that his receptionist had taken the booking but not updated the system. We waited for ages to get this sorted out and eventually got a room.

The room was ok but needed some tlc. When you flushed the toilet it made a terrible noise which continued for over 5 minutes so it was better to try not to flush at night to avoid disturbing other guests. Not hygenic.

We were overlooking a side road and all through the night there was noisy deliveries going on, so we hardly slept. In the morning felt awful. Breakfast was ok but nothing special and some of the items on the menu were not available. Difficult to get a coffee refill. Not the waitress fault she was too busy, needed two people.

We usually stay at a different hotel in Worcester but it was full so we booked this one but wished we had not. We would not come again.

Room Tip: Do not overlook side road
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple