“Worth it for the breakfast”
Review of Ye Olde Talbot

Ye Olde Talbot
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Worcester
South Wales
“Worth it for the breakfast”
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here recently for a weekend, great location but a few issues. The rooms look like they have recently been decorated however the shower was disgraceful, black with mould and damp that was nothing a little grouting or a good scrubbing wouldn't solve. The bed was a double but felt a little small,not sure if that's because most hotels now have king beds as standard. Breakfast was superb however the bar prices are a little high (over a fiver for a pint of Peroni!) but that's easily resolved by drinking elsewhere.

I would probably stay here again as the location was excellent but I would hope that simple housekeeping issues, such as the unpleasant bathrooms" are resolved soon.

Stayed August 2013
Old_English_Inns99, Manager at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank-you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed our breakfast, some bathrooms are due for re grouting in the near future and we apologise that your bathroom was below our usual standards. All rooms have standard double beds sadly we do not have any rooms with king size beds to offer you. With regards to bar prices we recenlty conducted a price survey and with Peroni priced at £3.80 a pint we are competitively priced with other nearby pubs/bars
We hope to see you again in the future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I'm writing this review as I feel strongly about the hotel. I stayed at the hotel on the 8th August 2013. I stayed with my mother and father-in-law and my husband. We had two rooms, a superior and a 'comfy double'. Myself and my husband had the 'comfy double'. When we entered the room we found a empty biscuit wrapper on the floor and the bathroom had not been cleaned although the towels had been changed. There was blue shower gel splashed along the tiles from the previous guests and the tiles above the sink had brown marks on them. I cleaned these of with a piece of wet tissue and as we were on a family trip did not want to spoil it by complaining at the time.
We did eat in the pub. The food was very tasty and was good quality. There were good offers on menu. The waitress was very nice but service was very slow considering it was very quiet and only a handful of tables were eating.
At the end of our meal we had to ask to have our plates cleared. This was repeated at breakfast.
When we returned to our rooms that night we knew that our room would be noisy to begin with, our room had a window that opened onto a courtyard that the pub used for outside drinks. Due to the lovely weather this was quite busy.
I did not expect to be kept awake until 12am. I could hear a conversation between a staff member and a guest. He was very kind and interested in the guest but they were standing underneath our window and due to the court yard it sounded like they were standing next to our bed!
We also had a dreadful nights sleep due to the constant humming. Everywhere in the hotel you can hear a constant humming. At one point, we switched our fan on full blast to drown out the sound of the humming.
At breakfast there was not enough side plates or coffee cups on the table and there was only one table available as the others had not been cleared. We also found a chip on the floor from the previous night under the table but was quite easy to see if you were setting tables up for breakfast.
My mother and father-in-law had a superior room. This had a four poster bed and a better bathroom. The room however was very dusty.
They also had a dreadful nights sleep due to the humming. They stayed in a room that opened out on to the main street and had lots of traffic noise.
This hotel has the potential to be charming and lovely, but currently falls drastically short. I have left my views for the hotel to respond to on their website by filling in the customer survey. I did not speak to staff about the experience as I was too tired and cross at the time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Natasha G
Thank-you for taking the time to leave a review, We are sorry that your experience did not relect the usual high standards we pride ourselves on. With regards to the housekeeping issues I take these comments very serious and have therefore taken appropriate action with all the housekeeping team, had you notified us we would have sent a cleaner up immediately to rectify the issues. I am unaware of a humming noise in the hotel but I will ask our maintenance person to look into it. Due to our excellent city centre location right in the heart of the city some external noise may be heard however this does not excuse staff and guests to keep others awake, although the team are well known for being friendly and approachable when it comes to a chat I have reminded all of them to mindful of other guests, Thank-you for your comments regarding breakfast service I will look at staffing levels to ensure that we have enough people on during peak times. Once again I sincerely apologise that the level of service you received does not reflect the usual high standards we are so often praised for and I hope you will give us another chance to restore your faith

Travellers are raving about these Worcester hotels

Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed in this hotel in order to have a Saturday night out in Worcester, we parked in the NCP car park over night which cost us £6.30 with the discount from the hotel, the entrance from the Cathedral side is initially a bit daunting as it has a concrete floor and is very bare but don't be put off. The staff were excellent and the food was really good (evening meal and breakfast) The breakfast was included in the price (£55) for the nights stay. The room was very clean and comfortable if a little noisy due to the people walking home from the town but this was to be expected, as it was warm and the window was open, it also had a sloping floor which added to the authenticity of the coaching in as it was. We had a great night out in Worcester and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alyson G
Old_English_Inns99, General Manager at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on your stay with us. We are glad you had such an enjoyable experience and hope to see you again sometime.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Can honestly say that our whole stay at The Olde Talbot was wonderful. The staff could not do enough for us and I wanted to poach Jim so he could come and work for me! The food was really good and very reasonably priced. When people book here they should understand that being in the centre of Worcester does mean there will be traffic! It did not keep me awake and we will definitely return.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank wiggydiane
Thank you for your comments about your stay with us. We will pass your message on to the staff who will be happy to hear your comments. We are glad everything was okay for you and hope to see you again sometime.
UK
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights the hotel is very central and the staff welcoming. We ate breakfast and a dinner and the food was excellent.
Our room was on the ground floor overlooking the street and at first I found it uncomfortable sitting in the room with people walking past about 2 feet away.
However as the night wore on this was the least of my worries, we were woken several times by groups of youths coming back from clubs (last time 3.30am) then as it started to get light the birds and gulls appear to fight then before 7am the recycling lorry stopped just outside and emptied the bins as this finished the street cleaning machine arrived! All of this then repeated the second night.
I would return as the hotel was great but only if I had a room away from the street. The only other slight niggle was a mouldy bath seal.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank sch1968
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on your recent stay here. We are glad that everything was okay with your food and that the staff were welcoming. We do apologise about the noise from the street, being in the centre of town we do experience noise but sadly this is out of our control. We were glad to hear you would return, we would be more than happy to allocate you to one of our more quieter rooms. We will pass your comments about the bath seal onto our housekeeping team who can look into the problem. Many thanks and hope to see you again soon.
Malta
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is a quaint hostelry that has done its best to come up to modern standards. The room was basic but comfortable: the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. However......it was the middle of summer and there was neither air-conditioning nor fan. As aresult I had to leave the windowe open wide to try and get at least some air. Unfortunately my room backed onto a street where service vehicles were passing frequently; not least the street-cleaning vehicle the came under my window in reverse) at a very early hour. That ruined the entire stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MaltaBear
Old_English_Inns99, Manager at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us. We are glad you found the bed comfortable and everything fine with your room. We apologise about no air conditioning available. As we are a hotel built around a 13th century coaching inn we are not supplied with some of the modern day amenities, however, if you had requested a fan we would have been more than happy to try and find you one. Also, being central to the town centre we do get noise, but unfortunately this is out of our control. We can only apologise that they disturbed you and hope to see you again soon.
kent
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Nice clean, friendly hotel, nice welcoming pub, good pub prices, lovely cooked breakfast, very comfortable bed, clean, functional room. Noisey from the road but with the windows closed (and a fan on) the second night was much better. Would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: In room 27 the road is noisey with the windows open but not too bad with them closed, get a fan from...