“Would recommend but stay in the annexe”
Review of Diglis House Hotel

and 1 more site!
Diglis House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Worcester
Reviewed 7 January 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Diglis House on Dec 28th. I booked directly with the hotel and the receptionist I spoke to was absolutely lovely. I chose the hotel because of its location and also because it has plenty of free parking. The location didn't disappoint. Directly on the riverbank with lots of outdoor tables and I'm sure it would be a a great place for drinks in the summer (although staff did warn us that it gets very busy on hot days). Really nice riverside walk into town, very central location, immediately next to the cathedral and less than 5 mins walk to the shopping centre. We stayed in Room 16 which is in the annexe and was a lovely room, patio doors with great view straight out over the gardens and on to the river, very modern bathroom with good shower and loads of hot water. Perfectly clean, loads of wardrobe space and all freeview channels on the TV. The main hotel was a bit more dated but I certainly didn't find it dirty. There only seemed to be one member of staff who checked us in, served us in the bar and then checked us out the following morning but he was very friendly and even went and got me a Bounty from the staff room when I came in with the munchies at midnight! This was my first visit to Worcester so I don't know the town very well but I didn't see any other hotels in the centre of town that could compare, just a Travelodge. I would definitely stay at the Diglis Hotel again but having read the reviews on this site, only if we were guaranteed a room in the annexe.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 November 2008

Stayed at the Diglis about 10 years ago at three different times and fell in love with it. Went back this year expecting the same lovely homely hotel and found it very tired and unloved. Carpet in the bathroom was stained and dirty (who has carpet in the bathroom these days) everywhere looked shabby, we stayed in the main hotel. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful especially in the restaurant. We did find it rather cold as the heating was not turned on.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Diglis, a very rare weekend away without the kids. We couldn't have asked for more from the staff - I don't recognise some of the comments made on the other reviews. Yes, a lick of paint here or there would benefit some parts of the hotel but overall we thoroughly enjoyed the place and its location. Great cooked breakfast set us up for the day - enjoyed along with the view over the river from the conservatory. A quiet evening drink in the lounge rounded off the day nicely.

All the staff were helpful and very friendly. As the place was quiet on the Sunday evening we were offered a free upgrade to one of the suites - this was a fantastic room and a real wrench to leave.

We had a great weekend and would recommend the place and will certainly be back. This is a real alternative to any of the anonymous chain hotels.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2008

Oh dear, a superb location, but very untidy and not the cleanest. Hotel needs a complete revamp and the staff need an enthusiasm injection.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BirminghamGourmet
Reviewed 31 July 2008

A great location and lovely building. We stayed in Room 3 which, admittedly was rather dated, but was a decent size and had a nice view of the cathedral.

What was unacceptable was:

the dust under the bed which my 18 month old crawled under, coming out absolutely filthy - and I'm not being picky here, the bed was a good foot off the floor as it was a four-poster - you didn't even need to bend down to see the dust;
the empty condom wrappers on top of the small head-height wardrobe, which you could see when you opened the door;
the canopy on the four-poster was faded and, again, covered in dust.
the sheet did not fit the bed, revealing a rather brown and stained mattress;
the duvet had no cover;
shower was very poor with pink/black mould around the edge of the bath.

Fellow guests were staying in the new annex (which was approached through a building site) and that was dirty too - discarded curtain fitments and dead flies adorned the brand new cills.

We pointed out the faults in our room to the receptionist - the response was simply "Oh" and the bill was handed over. No apology was forthcoming at all.

In summary, potentially a gem, if it was cleaned and the staff trained in customer service; and it's not exactly cheap either.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank JHAB
Reviewed 28 August 2007

The hotel looks good from the outside but inside is shabby and run down - scuff marks and dirty paintwork. The room on first impression was good but on closer inspection was a bit grubby. There were dead insects in the bathroom and old shampoo bottle lids from a previous occupant left in the shower. The shower itself was one of those cheap electric ones that take ages to heat up.
The guide in the room advertised all the freeview channels on the TV but you could only get four channels
At breakfast the fried eggs had solidified and the baked beans had a crust on them.
The staff were generally surly with the honourable exception of Joseph the night porter, who couldn't do enough.
All in all I wouldn't return until they had a complete refurb. Places like this give UK hotels a bad name.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2007

I stayed at the Diglis three weeks ago in the brial suite the night before my wedding and the actual wedding night. We were extrenely disappointed with the sevice. The location is great - but the hotel is shabby and we found the management poor. We had been shown upon booking the bridal suite (unbeknownst that there are actually two) and were told we could have this particular room. Upon arrival I was given a different 'bridal suite' which had seen better days. Bird poo on the windows, wallpaper peeling and generally shabby. I did complain and was changed - after much fuss - to the room I was promised.. Friends and family also stayed here for the wedding and were disappointed with their rooms - no loo roll in one room and a view from another of a stack of old furniture outside in the garden (this was removed the next day). Finally, it was upon arriving home that we discovered that we had been overcharged £25 for the room - this was eventually refunded after, again, I made much fuss. This was a regular stay for friends and family visiting the area, but needless to say, will be avoided in future.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple