“Not great”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Worcester
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Not great”
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I think this hotel needs a change of management - a few tweaks could really make all the difference.

I stayed in a twin room with my friend and we were only provided with enough toiletries for one person, which is a bit rubbish when you're paying £90 for one night - it is not cheap. The rooms are a little shabby. The bed was very comfortable - that would be the main thing I liked about my stay, but we were cold because there were not enough blankets on the bed and my friend managed to find an extra one in the wardrobe but it looked rather dirty.

The staff are nice but some of them don't look very sure of themselves. I went to breakfast at 8.15 and it is a rather confusing affair because it is unclear what you have a choice of to order (if you are having cooked breakfast). By the time my friend came to breakfast there were no glasses left for juice, no coffee and she had to wait a long time to be served.

It's a shame because I think it could all be so much better. Do not go here if you're used to any sort of luxury!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Reviewed 8 May 2010

As a hotelier on the south coast I know all about spiteful reviews, and the Diglis house has had some. We(husband and 2 friends) stayed in the annexe. The rooms were well, and individually decorated;it's clear there was great attention to detail in colours and furnishings and the bathrooms are beautiful - even though they got a few things wrong. The location is absolutely stunning, great views, walks and restaurants all close by. The staff are very willing, but the detail that has gone into the furnishing is not extended to staff training, and there appears to be little direction. No breakfast menus;poorly laid out buffet;tea and coffee from a flask. Perhaps their biggest mistake is that they don't invite feedback, so guests resort to posting comments on trip advisor! A comment form, and some attention to the comments - could put all these minor niggles right in short time. This would then be one of the best hotels - for the money - in Worcester.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank SForwood
London
Reviewed 6 May 2010

The reviews are right on here, this hotel needs some TLC and if I had the money I'd buy it myself as the location is brilliant. We ate breakfast watching rowers on the river and people walking their dogs and it was really relaxing. Nobody told us where the coffee was and there are no menus and the staff don't seem keen to tell you what's for breakfast but nevermind! I stayed in a nearby hotel in the same price range and it felt like we were in a motel, perhaps next time we'll stay somewhere charmless and cheaper but we came here 2 years ago for my other half's 30th and took over the hotel and it was fab. There is a gap in the market for a decent hotel in Worcester but this is the best yet for the location...

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonHoteltraveller
northern england
Reviewed 2 May 2010

First impressions were misleading and three nights at The Diglis left me longing for home and for things that worked and were clean! Here are the things that I found:
1. Scuffed and marked paint work and furniture with a greasy hand(?) print on the wall behind bed
2. No hot water for two evenings
3. Badly-fitting bed linen that came off the matress in the night and an unclean bedspread
4. Flickering bedside light
5. Dreadful evening meal with very poor service-no meal for me when I ate in
the hotel restaurant with my colleagues after waiting for an hour
6. Grass cuttings blown through the gap in the French windows after the lawns were mowed
7. No chair to sit at, to work at the bureau in the room
8. No alternative room available

On the positives (!) the location is good and the staff are friendly.

This hotel needs to raise it's standards to stay in business. I would not recommend anyone to stay here in it's current state.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I live quite close to the Diglis and have often gone for a drink in the summer sitting out byt the river. This is probably the only way to engage with the hotel. Unfortunately I took my father and son their for lunch today. To be brief:

1. Very tired decor, shabby, old furniture, dirty cloakroom,
2. Staff need some training. None of them smiled, indeed, they all seemed rather strained and tense. One said we could have lunch, the person we were told would take our order said we couldn't - until we told her we had been told we could. 'Oh, alright then'. Sandwiches brough, plonked on table and we were told to fetch cutlery from next room. You would have expected them to bring this really for a hotel. The another kept coming to take our plates away before we finished, leaning over so her scarf went in my son's drink - she didn't notice.
3. For a £6 sandwich it was very poor. Lots of chips, thin bread and virtually no beef. Salad was drowning in a tart dressing which amde it inedible.
4, Atmosphere awful

All in all - trying to be a high quality hotel but obviously needs a better standard of management and leadership. Problem is it doesn't have much competition in Worcester and I suspect it has got too complacent. Shame as its a lovely spot ans someone with some know how could make a real go of it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank FoodieGregs
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2010

Stayed for two nights B and B just over a week ago. Staff are excellent, room (junior suite) was very good and clean. Location right by the river with good garden area was a bonus. Few minutes walk to city centre. We stayed over Valentine`s weekend and had there special meal which was an absolute delight including a full bottle of champagne. Breakfast was very good but coffee could be warmer and free wi fi in the annexe (where we stayed) would have been a added bonus. Would and probably will go back there again. I would guess summer out on the lawned area would be brilliant. For a really good meal out then go to Benedicto`s Italian restaurant just 6/7 minutes away. Finally special mention about the staff, right from the help given prior to our booking it was superb. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 8 October 2009

As I paid £100 per night I was expecting the beautiful room shown in the advertisement, sadly I didn't. My room was at the end of a very long dark corridor. As a visually impaired person I tripped over the corridor steps daily. My room was a great size for myself and had a beautiful view of the river and the cathedral. However, the room was very dated, with 1980 style furniture, the black wardrobe looked like a coffin propped up against the wall!!! The Television broke twice, so a replacement was provided, a portable with only 4 channels. The bathroom was clean but the shower attachment frequently feel off the wall and I wasn't provided with fresh towels. The bed sheets had small stains, but the beds were very comfortable. Walls were so thin I could hear 'Bob' talking on his mobile to 'Stan' from advertising about a new account. It was a very interesting conversation he was having, I feel that although I have never met him I know a lot about his job and the next conference in February which apparently is in Hastings!!!!

I know this sound picky but for the price I paid I expected better.

On the positive side was the staff, especially the bar and waitress service staff, they were incredibly friendly and eager to help. The reception rooms were very comfortable and had a family like atmosphere. The breakfast was the highlight of my day, it was excellent, I honestly have never tasted such wonderful bacon before. Having breakfast and a good cup of tea looking over the river Severn was truly wonderful. This is why I would recommend it to a friend and possibly return, only if I have a different room!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo