Diglis House Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
The Crown(Worcester)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe riverconservatory restaurantjunior suiteriverside locationfrench doorscheesecakesunny dayworcester cathedralfantastic locationfunction roomcity centreafternoon teathe main housewedding venuemember of stafffull englishlovely room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I think this hotel needs a change of management - a few tweaks could really make all the difference.

I stayed in a twin room with my friend and we were only provided with enough toiletries for one person, which is a bit rubbish when you're paying £90 for one night - it is not cheap. The rooms are a little shabby. The bed was very comfortable - that would be the main thing I liked about my stay, but we were cold because there were not enough blankets on the bed and my friend managed to find an extra one in the wardrobe but it looked rather dirty.

The staff are nice but some of them don't look very sure of themselves. I went to breakfast at 8.15 and it is a rather confusing affair because it is unclear what you have a choice of to order (if you are having cooked breakfast). By the time my friend came to breakfast there were no glasses left for juice, no coffee and she had to wait a long time to be served.

It's a shame because I think it could all be so much better. Do not go here if you're used to any sort of luxury!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2010

As a hotelier on the south coast I know all about spiteful reviews, and the Diglis house has had some. We(husband and 2 friends) stayed in the annexe. The rooms were well, and individually decorated;it's clear there was great attention to detail in colours and furnishings and the bathrooms are beautiful - even though they got a few things wrong. The location is absolutely stunning, great views, walks and restaurants all close by. The staff are very willing, but the detail that has gone into the furnishing is not extended to staff training, and there appears to be little direction. No breakfast menus;poorly laid out buffet;tea and coffee from a flask. Perhaps their biggest mistake is that they don't invite feedback, so guests resort to posting comments on trip advisor! A comment form, and some attention to the comments - could put all these minor niggles right in short time. This would then be one of the best hotels - for the money - in Worcester.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank SForwood
Reviewed 6 May 2010

The reviews are right on here, this hotel needs some TLC and if I had the money I'd buy it myself as the location is brilliant. We ate breakfast watching rowers on the river and people walking their dogs and it was really relaxing. Nobody told us where the coffee was and there are no menus and the staff don't seem keen to tell you what's for breakfast but nevermind! I stayed in a nearby hotel in the same price range and it felt like we were in a motel, perhaps next time we'll stay somewhere charmless and cheaper but we came here 2 years ago for my other half's 30th and took over the hotel and it was fab. There is a gap in the market for a decent hotel in Worcester but this is the best yet for the location...

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LondonHoteltraveller
Reviewed 2 May 2010

First impressions were misleading and three nights at The Diglis left me longing for home and for things that worked and were clean! Here are the things that I found:
1. Scuffed and marked paint work and furniture with a greasy hand(?) print on the wall behind bed
2. No hot water for two evenings
3. Badly-fitting bed linen that came off the matress in the night and an unclean bedspread
4. Flickering bedside light
5. Dreadful evening meal with very poor service-no meal for me when I ate in
the hotel restaurant with my colleagues after waiting for an hour
6. Grass cuttings blown through the gap in the French windows after the lawns were mowed
7. No chair to sit at, to work at the bureau in the room
8. No alternative room available

On the positives (!) the location is good and the staff are friendly.

This hotel needs to raise it's standards to stay in business. I would not recommend anyone to stay here in it's current state.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I live quite close to the Diglis and have often gone for a drink in the summer sitting out byt the river. This is probably the only way to engage with the hotel. Unfortunately I took my father and son their for lunch today. To be brief:

1. Very tired decor, shabby, old furniture, dirty cloakroom,
2. Staff need some training. None of them smiled, indeed, they all seemed rather strained and tense. One said we could have lunch, the person we were told would take our order said we couldn't - until we told her we had been told we could. 'Oh, alright then'. Sandwiches brough, plonked on table and we were told to fetch cutlery from next room. You would have expected them to bring this really for a hotel. The another kept coming to take our plates away before we finished, leaning over so her scarf went in my son's drink - she didn't notice.
3. For a £6 sandwich it was very poor. Lots of chips, thin bread and virtually no beef. Salad was drowning in a tart dressing which amde it inedible.
4, Atmosphere awful

All in all - trying to be a high quality hotel but obviously needs a better standard of management and leadership. Problem is it doesn't have much competition in Worcester and I suspect it has got too complacent. Shame as its a lovely spot ans someone with some know how could make a real go of it.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family