“Disappointing Pool”

Worcester Whitehouse Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Worcester
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Stayed here in early Jan 2013 for one night for business. First the good news. Great location across the road from the train station. The public spaces are attractive, bright and clean. There are also plenty of helpful and attentive staff available if needed. The room was clean and well equipped and the furniture and accessories all seemed up to date and in good order. The bathroom was spotless and reasonably spacious. I didn't use the wifi (charge applies), but colleagues informed me it was very poor (each device needing its own password) and very slow. Breakfast was a standard buffet affair with lots of attentive staff, however the choice and quality was a little disappointing. So far no problem giving the hotel 4/5. However the most disappointing experience in the hotel was the swimming pool. I was greeted in the leisure suite by three bored looking young staff, on entering the changing rooms the facilities looked tired and not very clean. The pool itself is fine, but the sauna was boarded up (poor quality disintegrating MDF with a thin coating of paint), the steam room had a large number of tiles missing, making it impossible to clean. So overall the leisure area needs a make over and deep clean. But I was finally put off completely on seeing a pair of used underwear hanging from the shower rail in the changing area. I couldn't help thinking the three bored staff should have been doing something other that sitting down.
I will no doubt return as I did not make the booking myself, but I would think twice about returning if making the choice myself.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank alonthelough
RachaelMitchell, General Manager at Worcester Whitehouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I was pleased to read that most aspects of your visit met with your satisfaction and that you found the staff to be helpful and attentive. I am sorry however, that your experience with the Health Club was disappointing and that the levels of cleanliness did not meet with our usual high standards. Please be assured that I have spoken to the Club Manager who will take the required action in order to avoid a recurrence of this nature. I hope that these issues will not deter you from returning and that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,088)

Reviewed 6 January 2013

Just had lovely break in Whitehouse Worcester. We chose this hotel due to its location and leisure amenities and can highly recommend it if looking for somewhere central with pool, gym etc. Breakfasts, bar meals and restaurant food all excellent. Staff are fantastic, so friendly and the most helpful we've experienced anywhere, special thanks to Nicky and Mick for sorting out our puncture and to the lovely welsh lady who attended our room also (Brett?) the young man on reception for being so helpful booking taxi's and tickets to the Rugby match for us, everyone there gave 5 star customer service.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent visit with us. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and found the staff to be helpful. All those mentioned, including Nikki, the member of housekeeping staff receive a box of chocolates as a result of your compliments. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

We arrived on New Years Eve as we were meeting family for dinner at Saffron's Bistro and needed a place to stay for the night. Had to do a circuit of the block before I found the car park entrance (it's a tunnel that goes through the front of the hotel). Found a car park space and walked back through same tunnel towards reception. A rear hotel entrance would be useful, but i think the swimming pool blocks it off so not possible. You have to pay £6 for the car park. I guess that's fair as some guests will arrive by train, and it is a great convenience for a town centre hotel. The hotel gives you a plastic token each time you drive out.

Reception was outstanding, the attentiveness of the manager and staff was a throwback to a bygone era. The hotel has a beautiful broad staircase in the atrium which was tastefully decorated for Christmas. Check-in was smooth, key card worked first time. We were on the second floor of the old part of the hotel in room 212. The hotel has a lift which arrived quickly. The corridors on the second floor were clean and well presented, with carpeting that would help muffle pedestrian noise.

The room was very well furnished for the price (£99 double incl breakfast for two). The furniture was good quality made from wood, no mdf in sight. A very nice wardrobe with glass doors that also contained an iron (not steam though) and a trouser press. Tea and coffee (and six biscuits) facilities were provided, with a cordless kettle (I hate those tiny corded ones you get in cheap hotels). The bathroom was spacious with a full length mirror on the door (the ladies love that sort of thing). The bathroom toilet and basin were Edwardian style, nice to see no cheap fixtures and fittings. Towel rail was already switched on so cosy and warm. A couple of minor issues - a gap at the end of the bathroom shelf that you could lose items down, and a small tile missing. Very clean though.

I couldn't figure out the room heating and air conditioning, I think it was broken. I noticed there was an electric radiator on the bedroom wall, so maybe they have abandoned the air vent system?

As we left for our evening meal I asked for an extra pillow to be left in our room, which was actually there when we returned. Seemingly a small thing, but I have stayed at hotels where such requests have to be repeated and you end up fetching it yourself.

Breakfast was superb. We asked the manager if we could invite four members of our family to join us for breakfast, and he kindly agreed. It was £11/head, but the quality and choice made it worth every penny. There was a bacon/sausage/egg buffet, and continental options with hams and cheeses, fruit and cereals. The coffee was good.

After breakfast the manager kindly allowed my 4yo granddaughter (who wasn't a guest) to join me in the swimming pool at no charge. You have to get pool towels at reception, they don't like you to use your room towels. The pool was clean, not huge but big enough. The water was very warm, and there was a jacuzzi at the temperature of a hot bath. There is a sauna which we didn't use.

My room key didn't work after our swim as we had over-stayed our welcome by an hour. No problem, reception re-activated it for us so we could return to our room and pack. Check-out was smooth, no hidden charges.

All in hall, I would say this is one of our best ever overall hotel experiences, and if you read my other reviews you will see I don't give these kinds of compliments frivolously.

Room Tip: Creaky floorboards in the room above in older part of hotel may be a bit of an annoyance when you ar...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dakeb1
RachaelMitchell, General Manager at Worcester Whitehouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us recently; thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback. I will definitely pass your compliments onto the team who will be extremely pleased to read your comments. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Whitehouse for a weekend break in November - the hotel is really well located in the centre of Worcester and we had booked one of the superior rooms which was excellent - only drawback was that corridor noise was louder than other hotels (creaking floorboards \ poor sound insulation)

The staff especially those in the Restaurant were fantastic (especially Irlan) and amongst the friendliest I have seen - the set menu \ wine list was great value and we found the food to be fine and breakfast very good.

We would certainly recommend this hotel and would be happy to return.

Room Tip: The superior rooms are very spacious and comfortable albeit quite traditional
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bakey

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable visit and will certainly pass your compliments onto the team, especially Irfan in the restaurant. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

The Worcester Whitehouse hotel is located in the very centre of Worcester, right across the road from Worcester Foregate Street station.

I did an overnight stay for a business trip and arrived late. The front desk staff were very helpful. Check-in took a bit of time due to problems with the key card machine, but I was very well looked after.

The room was pretty much what you would expect. It was nicely made up, neat and tidy and had what you would expect (including ironing board and iron). My room faced Foregate Street, which is a main thoroughfare, so there were sounds from people and traffic for most of the night, albeit not intrusively so.

Breakfast was very good. The buffet had a good selection and the food was well cooked and presented.

The restaurant also serves lunch and dinner, but I didn't try this so can't comment. The hotel also has spa/leisure facilities, but again I didn't try these so can't comment.

Overall, a very good hotel in central Worcester. It would probable make an ideal base for exploring the city over a weekend or so.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, try asking for a room facing towards the back of the hotel, away from th...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ReluctantFlyerLondon
RachaelMitchell, General Manager at Worcester Whitehouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay - I was delighted to read that it met with your expectations and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 17 December 2012

My second annual visit and get together with old boarding school friends to attend memorial service for our old housemaster at WRGS. Cannot fault room Breakfast very good hot food great service and excellent service at Bar in the evenings Sunday lunch was good again great service Front desk very helpful and very pleased with my experience again. Many Thanks and will be back next year

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
RachaelMitchell, General Manager at Worcester Whitehouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and will certainly pass your compliments onto the team, reception in particular. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Booked this hotel for a works party. Lovely venue, central location, great room size for a party. Tables were laid out well but what a disappointment when the food arrived? The soup was tasty but tepid, the turkey was processed and cold, the vegetables were limp tired and again cold. However the bar service was good and generally everything else was lovely.

• Stayed: December 2012
RachaelMitchell, General Manager at Worcester Whitehouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience. I am sorry that the food did not meet with your expectations - it is certainly most unusual to receive such feedback. We ensure that throughout the party nights, as many guests as possible are asked if their meals are to their satisfaction enabling us to resolve any issues at the time and I apologise if this did not happen on this occasion. I was however pleased to read that you found everything else to your satisfaction and would like to take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.