“STIFF STAFF. NICE ROOM. EXPENSIVE GRUB AND ALE”

Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Worcester
Timbuktu, Mali
“STIFF STAFF. NICE ROOM. EXPENSIVE GRUB AND ALE”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Arrived late evening on a late corporate booking. The bar, from the outside looked lovely and oldy worldy. Entered reception to a stern receptionist Friendly enough though. Got to my room that smelled a bit fousty, like no-one had stayed there for a while. This soon cleared when I got the effective heating on. It was a bit like the hotel out of The Shining! Nice, but spooky in the dark. The room was nice, the bathroom clean and the shower fine. Couldnt grumble at this. Went to the bar and staff were really moody, and the bar was smaller than imagined and not oldy worldy at all. Parrot was friendly and so was the lady who served the wonderful breakfast. The bar food was a bit pricey for the portion you get but it was fresh and well cooked. Ale was also expensive but you cant walk to any alternative as its in the middle of nowhere. I would stay here again though as the bedroom was lovely and I slept very well.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Worcestershire
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We had our wedding at The Pear Tree on 14th September 2012. We had a fantastic day and loved every minute of it. From the moment we booked our wedding we were looked after (by Vicky Kimberley) and kept up to date with everything.
Quite a lot of our guests had booked rooms and some of them were fortunate enough to get room upgrades free of charge which was really nice. The hotel staff also let many of the guests check in early so that those travelling long distances could get changed in their rooms before the wedding. All of the staff were very polite and accomodating, special mention has to go to Carlos on reception who was fantastic.
The food was excellent - or so I'm told by our guests. I was so full of excitement on the day that unfortunately I had no appetite so didn't get to sample our lovely wedding menu.
The grounds at The Pear Tree are fantastic and make a great place for lovely wedding photos.
The only negative is that during the evening reception we didn't have a permanent barman dedicated to our wedding and the room we were in. This was rather frustrating for some of our guests and meant that some people went out into the bar for a while. However all in all a thoroughly enjoyable day and I would definitely recommend it as a wedding venue.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed for one night on the 8th of Sept. The hotel is only 25 mins away from safari park. The hotel is out the way so theres not really any other options to drink or eat somewhere different.

The room we stayed in was fab, we had a lovely lounge and the bedroom was really stylish with a large bathroom. Very clean too.

We decided to eat in the hotel and the food was amazing! We both ate steak, really recommend having it!!! The bar was really nice, especially the taking parrot Joey! He is brilliant entertainment. The staff were really friendly and you could have a laugh with them.

Overall a really lovely stay.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I booked one night at this hotel as a Groupon offer. The welcome/check-in was alright and professional although more on the colder side - the receptionist seemed very tired/serious/was hardly smiling. However we were asked if we'd like to book a table at the restaurant and were given a voucher for a free bottle of something bubbly, which was a nice surprise.

The double room exceeded my expectations by being very spacious and stylish! Both my boyfriend and I loved the look of it when we went it. It was very clean and tidy, so no complaints there what so ever. The only negatives were the weird blueish light in the bathroom which made me feel strange every time I used the bathroom and the hard mattresses mentioned by many other reviewers as well. I guess they are better for your back but I think hotels should be all about luxury and escape from your everyday life so I would have preferred softer mattresses. However the mattress didn't distract my sleep so it was alright in the end.

We ended up enjoying dinner at the hotel restaurant. We were a bit confused at first of whether to take any table, wait in the bar or wait for a staff member in the restaurant. Because no one seemed to be taking care of table bookings we asked the bar tender/waiter what our table was. He asked us to wait in the bar which turned out to be at least a 20 minute wait.

When we eventually got our food both of us were very pleased. My shallot and brie tart was deliciously creamy and just the right size. My boyfriend had bream fillets with chorizo that he loved. We also had chocolate parfait with vanilla ice cream for a dessert to share. It was lovely and especially the ice cream was divine! All this cost just about £30 which we thought was pretty good value because the food was so beautifully cooked.

Unfortunately, I can’t say the same about breakfast. I had full vegetarian breakfast, which consisted of one fried egg, one sausage, one hashbrown, one tomato, one mushroom and a bit of beans. You must order toast separately. First of all, according to the menu on the table, this would cost £12 if you are not staying in the hotel. Extremely poor value. Only one egg, sausage and hashbrown?! Particularly the egg and the sausage were pretty awful, I’m not quite sure why fried eggs are even offered when the chef clearly can’t make them. The breakfast looked pathetic and even greasier than your average English breakfast.

Overall, the stay was pretty average, hence three stars. Not amazing but not awful either. The biggest negative for me is too little staff who are not very attentive to detail.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We booked on a Groupon deal. Lovely location and a nice looking property from the outside, so a good first impression. Efficient check in and friendly reception staff.

Our room which overlooked the car park was spacious, and clean and the bed was very comfortable. However, the decor and the bathroom were somewhat dated.

We decided to eat at the restaurant in the evening and very much enjoyed our meal and the entertainment provided by the African Grey parrot Joey.

Unfortunately the breakfast the next day was a different story, it started well enough, and the choice from the cold buffet was good, but no-one came to take our order for a cooked breakfast, and we waited 30 minutes to get a tea and a coffee! The breakfast was ok when it arrived, though my mushroom seemed to have been soaked in oil rather than sauteed, and we never did get any toast! I think they just needed one additional person to take breakfast orders and get teas and coffees and toast etc.

That experience did slightly take the edge off what had been a nice little mini break. Though it wouldn't stop me returning to the restaurant for a meal in the evening, if not a stay at some point in the future.

newport
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Booked as a groupon, stay at hotel and entry to the safari park. Staff were friendly and helpful. Our little boys bed broke and they replaced it with no hesitation. When we asked for
More pillows, again no issue. The hotel was nice, rooms were standard and a little dated, but clean. The big issue we had was the bed. Didn't sleep well
As they were as hard as a rock! Very uncomfortable.
Breakfast very nice, freshly cooked.

• Stayed September 2012
Calne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Stayed for one night, while in transit, on Saturday 9th September. Booked an Executive Suite on The Internet, apparently the last available room for the night we required. No problems with the booking process and no problems with check in.

The accommodation consisted of a lounge and a bedroom. Both were adequately furnished, and the bed was comfortable. The lounge offered a very comfortable settee, two arm chairs, tables, and a wardrobe. Coffee and tea making facilities were provided (most welcome). A small screen TV proved adequate to our needs. In the bedroom there was plenty of drawer space, comfortable seats and another small screen TV. The air conditioning system proved to be tricky to get just right; perhaps we did not fully grasp the control system! However, we prefer windows open, particularly as the night was warm and balmy. The Hotel is close to The M5 Motorway and there is some noise from motorway traffic, but it was not a nuisance to us and we slept well.

There were a few niggles and irritations. In an Executive Suite we would have appreciated Bath Robes. No Fridge (usual for medication). Particularly irritating is the absence of a two pin razor/electric toothbrush facility. A stool in the lounge was damaged, with two legs dangerously loose, and it could hold no significant weight. Potentially, an accident waiting to happen!

The bathroom is accessed through the sitting room and was clean and well presented. However, in a suite of this type a seperate shower would have been preferable to the shower fitting over the bath with the awful, and old fashioned, shower curtain.

We took our dinner at The Pear Tree and were well attended by Alan. A friendly and attentive waiter. My wife had chicken for her main course which proved to be satisfactory. I ordered Lamb and was asked if I would be happy with it 'Pink' as that is the way it is served. I was most happy with this because I enjoy tender 'Pink' lamb. It took a while for the main course to arrive but we were content to enjoy a drink and chat while waiting for the meal. Unfortunately, the 'Pink' lamb was overdone to the point of being burnt and I did not finish the course or much enjoy the dish. Disappointed.

On the other hand breakfast (haddock and poached eggs, and scrambled egg) was good. waiter service was excellent and appreciated.

Check out was trouble free.

We would hope that our disappointing experience in The Restaurant was a 'one off'! The attitude and attention of all the staff, including reception, restaurant, and house keeping was to a high standard. We would use The Pear Tree again because of the staff, and the comfort and cleanliness of the accommodation.