“Hot reception”

Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Worcester
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Used a Groupon voucher to stay at the Pear Tree with my girlfriend so got great value. Tried to book a table for evening meal but had to ring several times before the phone was answered.

First impressions were good. Rolling hills and fabulous views. Plenty of parking and a good looking hotel. Straight to reception and booking in was simple and friendly.

The room was spacious and clean. The decor is starting to look in need of an upgrade. On the plus side there was tv and tea & coffee facilities though it would have been nice if the only pack of biscuits had not already been opened by a previous guest. Free wifi was good and the linen was spotless.

On the downside the bed base showed and was old and tatty with a few stains. There were 2 screws sticking out of a wall where a picture should have been. Also the alcove light did not work. There were 2 lamps, 1 had no bulb and the second needed a new fuse. 3 broken lights is not a good start.

The furniture was sturdy and in good condition but looked dated. Old fashioned rather than character.

We went for an evening meal and the staff were friendly. Prices were reasonable, if not budget. Now for the big problem. I had a pasta dish which came with a red pepper like vegetable on top. The table next to me had similar dishes served at the same time also with this vegetable garnish.
I grow peppers and this looked like one of my small home grown red peppers. I popped half in my mouth and started chewing. I was immediately hit by hiccups, burning mouth and tears streaming down my face. My tongue felt swollen and burnt. The pain was incredible.

At the same time the man at the next table spat his out and the woman did likewise. They had beer and started to swill it down. I had only wine and ran to the nearest toilet swilling my mouth with water from the tap as my mouth burned. When I got back to my table I was in severe pain and the waitress had to bring me milk to settle my mouth. The table next to me needed a glass of water.

It turned out that the red pepper was actually a scotch bonnet, one of the hottest peppers available. I like a chilli and a curry. I like chilli's and tabasco on my pizza but this really hurt. Serving this with no warning was inexcusable. I went to the duty manager and immediately made my displeasure known.

My meal was ruined as I could not taste any of it. I was kept awake during the night with a hot and swollen stomach so my nights sleep was ruined.

Moving on breakfast was adequate. It's not the best I have had. The black pudding was too thin. The bacon over cooked and the sausage not huge. Service was good and overall I couldn't complain about it either.

Good value, good location awful experience with the meal.

I

2  Thank Stevie999_10

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Arrived late evening on a late corporate booking. The bar, from the outside looked lovely and oldy worldy. Entered reception to a stern receptionist Friendly enough though. Got to my room that smelled a bit fousty, like no-one had stayed there for a while. This soon cleared when I got the effective heating on. It was a bit like the hotel out of The Shining! Nice, but spooky in the dark. The room was nice, the bathroom clean and the shower fine. Couldnt grumble at this. Went to the bar and staff were really moody, and the bar was smaller than imagined and not oldy worldy at all. Parrot was friendly and so was the lady who served the wonderful breakfast. The bar food was a bit pricey for the portion you get but it was fresh and well cooked. Ale was also expensive but you cant walk to any alternative as its in the middle of nowhere. I would stay here again though as the bedroom was lovely and I slept very well.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We had our wedding at The Pear Tree on 14th September 2012. We had a fantastic day and loved every minute of it. From the moment we booked our wedding we were looked after (by Vicky Kimberley) and kept up to date with everything.
Quite a lot of our guests had booked rooms and some of them were fortunate enough to get room upgrades free of charge which was really nice. The hotel staff also let many of the guests check in early so that those travelling long distances could get changed in their rooms before the wedding. All of the staff were very polite and accomodating, special mention has to go to Carlos on reception who was fantastic.
The food was excellent - or so I'm told by our guests. I was so full of excitement on the day that unfortunately I had no appetite so didn't get to sample our lovely wedding menu.
The grounds at The Pear Tree are fantastic and make a great place for lovely wedding photos.
The only negative is that during the evening reception we didn't have a permanent barman dedicated to our wedding and the room we were in. This was rather frustrating for some of our guests and meant that some people went out into the bar for a while. However all in all a thoroughly enjoyable day and I would definitely recommend it as a wedding venue.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed for one night on the 8th of Sept. The hotel is only 25 mins away from safari park. The hotel is out the way so theres not really any other options to drink or eat somewhere different.

The room we stayed in was fab, we had a lovely lounge and the bedroom was really stylish with a large bathroom. Very clean too.

We decided to eat in the hotel and the food was amazing! We both ate steak, really recommend having it!!! The bar was really nice, especially the taking parrot Joey! He is brilliant entertainment. The staff were really friendly and you could have a laugh with them.

Overall a really lovely stay.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

I booked one night at this hotel as a Groupon offer. The welcome/check-in was alright and professional although more on the colder side - the receptionist seemed very tired/serious/was hardly smiling. However we were asked if we'd like to book a table at the restaurant and were given a voucher for a free bottle of something bubbly, which was a nice surprise.

The double room exceeded my expectations by being very spacious and stylish! Both my boyfriend and I loved the look of it when we went it. It was very clean and tidy, so no complaints there what so ever. The only negatives were the weird blueish light in the bathroom which made me feel strange every time I used the bathroom and the hard mattresses mentioned by many other reviewers as well. I guess they are better for your back but I think hotels should be all about luxury and escape from your everyday life so I would have preferred softer mattresses. However the mattress didn't distract my sleep so it was alright in the end.

We ended up enjoying dinner at the hotel restaurant. We were a bit confused at first of whether to take any table, wait in the bar or wait for a staff member in the restaurant. Because no one seemed to be taking care of table bookings we asked the bar tender/waiter what our table was. He asked us to wait in the bar which turned out to be at least a 20 minute wait.

When we eventually got our food both of us were very pleased. My shallot and brie tart was deliciously creamy and just the right size. My boyfriend had bream fillets with chorizo that he loved. We also had chocolate parfait with vanilla ice cream for a dessert to share. It was lovely and especially the ice cream was divine! All this cost just about £30 which we thought was pretty good value because the food was so beautifully cooked.

Unfortunately, I can’t say the same about breakfast. I had full vegetarian breakfast, which consisted of one fried egg, one sausage, one hashbrown, one tomato, one mushroom and a bit of beans. You must order toast separately. First of all, according to the menu on the table, this would cost £12 if you are not staying in the hotel. Extremely poor value. Only one egg, sausage and hashbrown?! Particularly the egg and the sausage were pretty awful, I’m not quite sure why fried eggs are even offered when the chef clearly can’t make them. The breakfast looked pathetic and even greasier than your average English breakfast.

Overall, the stay was pretty average, hence three stars. Not amazing but not awful either. The biggest negative for me is too little staff who are not very attentive to detail.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

We booked on a Groupon deal. Lovely location and a nice looking property from the outside, so a good first impression. Efficient check in and friendly reception staff.

Our room which overlooked the car park was spacious, and clean and the bed was very comfortable. However, the decor and the bathroom were somewhat dated.

We decided to eat at the restaurant in the evening and very much enjoyed our meal and the entertainment provided by the African Grey parrot Joey.

Unfortunately the breakfast the next day was a different story, it started well enough, and the choice from the cold buffet was good, but no-one came to take our order for a cooked breakfast, and we waited 30 minutes to get a tea and a coffee! The breakfast was ok when it arrived, though my mushroom seemed to have been soaked in oil rather than sauteed, and we never did get any toast! I think they just needed one additional person to take breakfast orders and get teas and coffees and toast etc.

That experience did slightly take the edge off what had been a nice little mini break. Though it wouldn't stop me returning to the restaurant for a meal in the evening, if not a stay at some point in the future.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

Booked as a groupon, stay at hotel and entry to the safari park. Staff were friendly and helpful. Our little boys bed broke and they replaced it with no hesitation. When we asked for
More pillows, again no issue. The hotel was nice, rooms were standard and a little dated, but clean. The big issue we had was the bed. Didn't sleep well
As they were as hard as a rock! Very uncomfortable.
Breakfast very nice, freshly cooked.

• Stayed: September 2012